Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
I just did a clean install of lion and have two questions.

Everything went fine except that i didn't anticipate not having iLife and iWork applications after the install. So what i did was to copy the apps over from my external HD (where i have time machine backups going wayyyy back). However, when i try to open them, they won't open. For example, iPhoto says says it cannot be opened and i should check that it is able to run on this version of os x. My first question is how do i get my ilife applications back?

My second question is: Is there an easy way to get back the preferences of the applications? What I mean by this is things like smart iTunes playlists, safari bookmarks etc. I had a lot of smart playlists in iTunes before for DJing and now that they're gone i hate the thought of putting them all back together again (lazy, i know i know...)

Like i said I've got all my time machine backups on my computer so worst comes to the worst I can always just go back to how it was before and i'll have wasted a morning but i really would like to keep this fresh install and just get my most necessary apps back up and running.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Thankyou,
Sushil

sn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
okay so i've got the application prefs back but my first question still remains:

how can i use iLife and iWork after a clean install?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.