Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Hello,

I just wanted to share this tip with you
I have a macbook late 2008
and when I wanted to burn the .dmg of Lion, i did it twice and it didn't work at 8x, which caused me a HUGE headache and long hours gone to waste

when I burned at 4x it worked...

I know that slower is better, but 8x is pretty slow isn't it?
Just something for people to know about

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
It could be a problem with your optical drive or the optical discs that you are using because I have successfully burned and verified it at 8x and 16x. Did you only try using a single brand of media?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
My DVD burner failed too, so I just put Lion on a USB drive.
Macs have bad superdrives, there's no doubt about it. The first ever disk I burned on my brand new MacBook Pro failed, and so did the first ever disk I burned on a brand new iMac.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Well I never had the optical drive fail me before
and I always used the same brand and i always worked
except this time...

the weird thing is that, after the burn was complete the cd mounted on my desktop and it seemed all well, even after I restarted I got the Lion screen saying "installing"

but after a while it will say install failed due to some error

The Cat Empire

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
When I tried burning Lion, I used 16x and it said "completed successfully", but when I put the disc back in the drive, the computer thought it was blank. There was obviously content on the disc (by looking at it).

I burned it at 8x the second time and it worked.

Nuckinfuts

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Syracuse, NY
it's good practice to always burn discs pertaining to system installs at a lower speed, and its not because your optical drive is faulty, errors happen more often at higher speeds

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Errors happen MUCH too often with Apple optical drives in my experience. It's because they're using this weird cheap brand "Mat****a". I wonder why it has the word highlighted in bold in it, I bet it's there for a reason.

I've never had problems burning disks on any PC, mostly with Samsung drives. How many times did I get "Verification Failed" on Macs? How many times did the verification complete successfully, only the disk never worked, or got stuck in my Mac without being able to eject it, as the computer thought there was nothing inside?

Apple uses compromised components to achieve such a slim design. But the thing is, I don't really need to burn disks today anyway, so it's not a big deal. It's just stupid to waste a 4GB USB pendrive on an OS installer, when I may never even use it, and I could be making good use of my pendrive instead.

Needless to say, I tried burning Lion to a DVD as well and it failed even before it started to burn, with a "Failed to calibrate laser power level" message. Can't even clean the laser as it's slot loading.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
Funny that you mention that. I burned Ubuntu onto a disk yesterday to put on another computer, and after it was complete, it would not work (the GUI came up, but it wouldn't load past that). Took me a second try to actually get a bootable disk. :rolleyes:

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
I got fed up of the piles of drink coasters I was making so now I only use an external burner for DVDs. CDs will burn OK 95% of the time using the superdrive, but I've never had a mac that will burn DVDs reliably.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Both my DVD and USB worked fine in the end, but I gotta say, USB is hell a lot faster than DVD. Even getting to the setup screen takes about 5 min on dvd!

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
i always burn at the slowest possible speed (2x i think), minimal chance of error, takes the longest but it makes sense, the longer it takes, the better the burn quality.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
It's because they're using this weird cheap brand "Mat****a". I wonder why it has the word highlighted in bold in it, I bet it's there for a reason.

FYI: Matshita is Panasonic, not exactly a weird cheap brand.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
I always always burn disks of critical importance/system files at the slowest possible speed and verify them after they're done. Good practice IMO. Yeah it'll be done faster if you use a higher speed, but you're going to waste 10x as much time later if it burned with errors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.