PDA

View Full Version : is back up mandatory for installing os x lion?

larsvontrier
Jul 30, 2011, 12:12 PM
4minutes left of installing lion os x the sudden idea that installing will get rid of everyfile i have on my mac came to my mind and i shut down the computer. does eberything get erased when you install lion os x ? or is it just the os that changes when and your files remain the same?

MacDawg
Jul 30, 2011, 12:19 PM
It doesn't erase your files... only updates your OS

gentlefury
Jul 30, 2011, 12:21 PM
not mandatory but always recommended! It will update without erasing anything, but if you have any disturbance in the update (power outage....some type of hiccup) you could potentially lose everything!

It is really recommended to have a time machine disk always running!

brand
Jul 30, 2011, 12:24 PM
If your data is truly important to you then a data backup would be mandatory prior to installing any major OS update. Just because the Installer doesn't prompt you to backup your data doesn't mean that the initiative shouldn't still be taken.

gentlefury
Jul 30, 2011, 12:27 PM
I have a dedicated bay in my Mac Pro for time machine...it can be a life saver! I had an issue with my Boot Camp partition and in order to resolve it I had to reinstall everything, including Mac. I had that time machine partition....so from the time I inserted the disk to the time I was back to normal it took about 45 mins. Most of that time being install time...not setting anything up. Windows side of course took much longer, since there is no backup system in place.

RafaelT
Jul 30, 2011, 12:30 PM
1. If you have anything important on there you have to be backing up anyway. Your hard drive could ie at any time, your computer could be stolen, your battery could burst into flames.

2. Shutting down your computer in the middle of an OS install is a horrible idea. At 4 minutes left in a major OS install do you think shutting it down at that point is going to stop it from deleting your data if it was going to? It is finishing up by that point any damage would already have been done. Luckily Lion should not have deleted any of your files... hope it starts back up ok and you don't lose anything now.

relax11
Jul 30, 2011, 01:05 PM
I think the question contains the answer.

If you're not already backing up ever x minutes, than you've already consciously or unconsciously accepted that your data could be lost at any time - including while updating operating systems. So for you, the answer is no. Eventually, something terrible will happen, and the answer will be yes.

Gamoe
Jul 30, 2011, 01:17 PM
Not mandatory, but only prudent. Unfortunately, shutting down your Mac at four minutes minus Installation completion may have left your system corrupted or otherwise incomplete.

I'd recommend crossing your fingers, logging back in and if everything starts up- back up only your data (being *really* careful to copy everything you care about here. There may be stuff in places you haven't even realized) and perform a Clean Install (http://mashable.com/2011/07/20/lion-clean-install-guide/#view_as_one_page-gallery_box1917) at this point.