Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHake10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Hello,

I am new to apple products. I have a desktop that I have built and the graphics card has 2 DVI outputs which I use to connect my 2 monitors. I would like to use the same 2 monitors with my new Mac Mini. When I search online for answers I see many people talking about how to connect the older Mac Mini's (mini Display Port and Mini DVI port) but nothing with the new Mac Mini which has only 1 HDMI port (and the supplied Apple HDMI to DVI adapter). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
The 2011 Mac mini also has a ThunderBolt port, for which you can use MDP to DVI adapters.

Mini DisplayPort (MDP)
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DP.png
MDP adapters can be bought online from:
MDP to VGA adapter from Apple
MDP to DVI adapter from Apple
MDP to Dual-Link-DVI adapter from Apple

Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support adapter from the Apple Online Store

Mini DisplayPort + USB to Dual-Link DVI adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from Monoprice - *NOTE* This product will support audio on Mac computers capable of outputting audio through mini-displayport.
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from Monoprice - *NOTE* This product does NOT support audio for Macs that outputs audio through the Mini DisplayPort.
Mini Displayport Male and USB Male/Toslink Audio to HDMI Female Converting adapter from Monoprice
Mini Displayport Male and USB Male Audio to HDMI Female Converting adapter from Monoprice - *NOTE* Will only support 2 channel stereo. Will not support 5.1 Dolby Surround like the above adapter.

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cables from Monoprice

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"

JHake10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Thanks!

I did not know that MDP and Thunderbolt were the same type of connector. Thanks for all your help!

Kudduz

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
I am about to buy a Mac Mini as well and would like to run two (or maybe three) monitors off it.

I see there are two options one for $599 and one for $799. The more expensive one has 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache, 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory vs. 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache, 2GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory.

Which would I need to buy to accomplish this?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I am about to buy a Mac Mini as well and would like to run two (or maybe three) monitors off it.

I see there are two options one for $599 and one for $799. The more expensive one has 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache, 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory vs. 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache, 2GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory.

Which would I need to buy to accomplish this?

You can use both Mac minis to accomplish what you stated to want (running two external displays), CPU or RAM don't have anything to do with it, it is GPU dependent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.