Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yettimillan

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2009
I am going to upgrade to Lion.

My mac is just over 2 years old and was originally upgraded from Leopard and has a lot of old crap on it. Would it be of any benefit to do a clean install in terms of speed etc?

I guess I would only need to back up just my files in my documents but would have to re do my itunes unfortunately. Is there anything else?

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
You will definitely notice a speed bump.

I did a clean upgrade on a 1.5 yr old SL machine and it was like having a new machine. For 30€ that is one hell of an upgrade.

You can backup Documents, or your entire User folder (would include Music, Photo libraries).

For settings you can backup the Library folders (one in your user folder, another one in the root of the hard drive), although I chose to start anew with everything. You could also goto Library and look through Preferences, Application Support and see per-app settings you want to save.

Use the opportunity to manually install Applications. From well over a hundred in SL I went to under 20 in Lion. I figured out that I could easily download the app the one time every year I use it.

Other things are - Safari bookmarks, passwords, Keychain, Network settings, iCal calendars, Address Book.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I doubt that doing a "clean" install will make your machine any faster than doing a regular install.

If you have tons of stuff on your Mac that you shouldn't have, and have processes running that you shouldn't have, it may benefit you…but so would being more conscientious about running applications, extensions and other things that might slow you down.

If you intend to erase your hard drive, install Lion, and then manual move stuff from a backup please make sure you know what to move where. Easier to just migrate from a time machine backup. Or, better, clean out the crap BEFORE you back up and make sure it's running OK, then back that system up and upgrade.

Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.