PDA

View Full Version : Swipe Privacy WARNING. pls HELP!!!!!!

ewojmac
Jul 30, 2011, 07:46 PM
I logged into my email account, read/ sent emails and a few other stuff. I then log out (without quitting safari browser) thinking email account activity was secure. Wrong!!! All someone had to do was, using two fingers swipe left between webpages to reveal all the pages and emails I've been to. Zero privacy. Similar to clicking previous pages. All websites you usually log in can be viewed easily this way after you think you've logged out safely. I would have thought that when you swipe back, a message would show up telling you to re-login again, because someone already logged out. HELP. how can i resolve this, without having to quit safari every time i log out??
:rolleyes:

etcetera
Jul 30, 2011, 07:56 PM
Answer -- Don't use Safari.

Firefox isn't doing this at all. Tried it with my bank's website and Gmail. No issues.

I know that's not really what you wanna hear, but that's what I got.

Jagardn
Jul 30, 2011, 08:07 PM
I logged into my email account, read/ sent emails and a few other stuff. I then log out (without quitting safari browser) thinking email account activity was secure. Wrong!!! All someone had to do was, using two fingers swipe left between webpages to reveal all the pages and emails I've been to. Zero privacy. Similar to clicking previous pages. All websites you usually log in can be viewed easily this way after you think you've logged out safely. I would have thought that when you swipe back, a message would show up telling you to re-login again, because someone already logged out. HELP. how can i resolve this, without having to quit safari every time i log out??
:rolleyes:

Logging out should end your session. Even if someone could see your email on the page they swiped to, they shouldn't be able to edit, send, or access your mailbox in any way. Unless you have your password saved to your keychain, then its insecure no matter what.

johnfkitchen
Jul 30, 2011, 08:40 PM
ewojmac, this is why OS X has "accounts".

If you let another person use your account, you have a bigger problem. They have access to every file you own on that Mac, not just your recent browsing activity! They can read your files, modify your files, copy your files, delete your files, email the files elsewhere and so on...

When you leave your Mac, you should either log out of OS X or go to the login window, so that when you want to use it again, you'll have to enter your password

iThinkergoiMac
Jul 30, 2011, 08:44 PM
So, in other words, Safari is insecure because it saves browser history just like every other browser?

Erase your history and disable resume for apps and you'll be all set.

HiRez
Jul 30, 2011, 09:33 PM
Yeah, as johnfkitchen says, this is what accounts are for. Ideally every user has their own account. It seems like a pain, but enable Fast User Switching and it's really not, and it solves a lot of issues (such as yours). If you don't want to do that use Private Browsing mode in Safari (from the Safari menu).

robgendreau
Jul 30, 2011, 10:03 PM
Bad news for the OP but this isn't really a change with the newer Safari, or many other browsers. The history is there for the viewing if you're silly enough to share an account with someone.

Rob

Comeagain?
Jul 30, 2011, 11:55 PM
You realize that swiping back is the same as hitting the back button right?

ewojmac
Jul 31, 2011, 05:43 PM
thanks everyone for your response ;)

jbouklas
Jul 31, 2011, 06:10 PM
Wow, this is actually a big privacy concern. I really like the feature in Safari that stores your last page in memory, so your browser doesn't have to refresh the page. It saves a lot of time, and makes everything feel much more polished. But, I was still able to see emails, etc, even after I logged out of GMail for several seconds, until it displayed the login page.

This doesn't happen in other browsers, which have to refresh the page (including older versions of Safari). This is a bug, or at least an unexpected consequence of a new feature, that needs to be resolved.