PDA

View Full Version : Hiding the toolbar in Safari fullscreen

NameUndecided
Jul 30, 2011, 07:58 PM
Just to clarify first: By hiding the toolbar, I mean hiding the address bar, tabs, all else, so that all that shows in fullscreen Safari is a webpage's contents.

In most but not all of the developer preview versions of Lion, hiding the toolbar was easy to do by going to "View - Hide Toolbar" at the top of the screen. I even set up a shortcut key to do this extra easily and quickly.

Now starting with the version just before Lion's GM build (if I remember correctly), that "Hide Toolbar" option is greyed out, and I'm a little disappointed about that.

The option isn't greyed out when Safari isn't in fullscreen mode, but that's hardly helpful. ;)

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a nice and clever solution for this. I know that I can right click the toolbar and select "Hide Toolbar," but that's a little more cumbersome than using a shortcut key, and the only way I've found to bring the toolbar back into view is to go up to "View - Customize Toolbar…"

Does anyone have any hints or suggestions? It was so much a great thing to be able to simply hit the command and apostrophe key to hide and unhide the toolbar as I had it set up. I hope the option comes back in a future update.

misbehavens
Nov 28, 2011, 02:17 PM
Ahhhh!!! This is exactly the same problem I'm having. I need to be able to hide the toolbar in full screen mode from an apple script (so I need a keyboard shortcut or something similar I can trigger).

Somebody please help us figure this out!