PDA

View Full Version : The Lion overheating loop

andymac2210
Jul 30, 2011, 08:22 PM
So activity monitor wouldn't even tell me what was using my CPU (2010, 13" MPB), but yet my computer kept getting hotter and hotter.

I tried to close all apps, I tried to log out and change user, eventually I had to do a restart.

It was topping out at 80*C with then fan at 4000rpm and NOTHING going on.
I have never had this program with my mac before, it's got to be lions fault.
And it appeared to start out of nowhere, not even doing intensive stuff.

Disappointed.

avdb12
Aug 3, 2011, 04:25 PM
I have the same problem.

After I installed Lion from the AppStore My 2010 MBP 15" is slow, using a lot of CPU and really overheating when I just use Mail, Safari and Ichat if I close them and there are no applications running the CPU is still using maximum the capacity and hot.....

Today I backup all my files and hope that I can do a clean install to downgrade back to snow leopard!

Also really disappointed!

stillmatic
Aug 3, 2011, 04:43 PM
People are goddamn liars if they won't admit Lion runs hotter than SL.

I've done a clean install, barely any apps and have this issue.

I'm also sick and tired of people talking about how stable Lion is compared to SL. Yeah, tell that to me when I was applying on a job application and lost everything cause I got the Grey Screen of Death right at the end of it.

I use to ALWAYS use my notebook on my lap, but now with Lion, it's unbearable.

jpeezy
Aug 3, 2011, 04:45 PM
When you upgrade, there is a process (mds) that indexes all of your files. This process can take quite a while to complete. Depending on how many files you have, it can take 30+ minutes. mds will cause your CPU to go nuts, which will in turn drive your temperatures up.

Next time, please search before posting.

stillmatic
Aug 3, 2011, 04:47 PM
There is a search function!! When you upgrade, there is a process (mds) that indexes all of your files. This process can take quite a while to complete, depending on how many files you have.

^Load of **** on why he's having that issue. Clean installed with barely any files and I have that issue well over a week later. Love how everyone tries to justify Lion running too hot and buggy.

tom5304
Aug 3, 2011, 04:56 PM
When you upgrade, there is a process (mds) that indexes all of your files. This process can take quite a while to complete. Depending on how many files you have, it can take 30+ minutes. mds will cause your CPU to go nuts, which will in turn drive your temperatures up.

It us you, sir (or ma'am :D) who needs to do the searching.

Lion is a buggy mess. Maybe not for you, but it is for many.

Lion runs hotter, uses ridiculous amounts of memory, and has broken Wifi for many of us.

And those are just some of the problems.

avdb12
Aug 3, 2011, 05:05 PM

It is understandable that during the "upgrade" from snow leopard to Lion that the CPU have to work hard to get the job done. However like stillmatic it is also for me more than week later and the issues we now experience with the overheating and the CPU using nearly all capacity is not due the upgrade process but to a fault/bug in Lion!

I need my MBP for work and it nearly impossible to use it now!

jpeezy
Aug 3, 2011, 05:18 PM
mds doesn't run during the upgrade, however, it does run all the time. Once the upgrade is complete and you've restarted, it starts indexing all of your files. The initial run will take the most time to complete.

jpeezy
Aug 3, 2011, 05:19 PM

I'm also sick and tired of people talking about how stable Lion is compared to SL. Yeah, tell that to me when I was applying on a job application and lost everything cause I got the Grey Screen of Death right at the end of it.

I will definitely disagree, if anything it runs cooler.

bobnlyne
Aug 3, 2011, 11:25 PM
I will definitely disagree, if anything it runs cooler.

Must be nice to be the only Lion user that can say that. :(

Icy1007
Aug 3, 2011, 11:54 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lion runs cooler for me. Idles in upper 30s and tops out in lower 80s when under max load.

darkeartg
Aug 4, 2011, 01:07 AM
Must be nice to be the only Lion user that can say that. :(

Agreed, my mbp is quite a bit warmer

juzmacman
Aug 6, 2011, 01:50 AM
I've had Lion on 2 x 2011 MBP's with no issues, plus a 2011 Mac Mini without heat issues. Indexing activity aside after the initial installation, they run fine and I have no problems using my 17" on my lap - battery lasts 8 hours web browsing etc.
I wonder if this issue is specific to certain models?

madisonfaye
Aug 6, 2011, 02:12 AM

Mine is not running hotter at all, it actually feels cooler. I didn't record my exact temperatures before so I can't make a comparison, but my MBP is definitely not running hotter on Lion and I'm doing the same tasks.

kuwisdelu
Aug 6, 2011, 02:39 AM
I haven't noticed any difference one way or the other with my Lion install.

For those whose is running hotter and saying their CPU is running at max: there must be some process associated with it. What is it?

Bunker
Aug 6, 2011, 03:08 AM
First few days after upgrade, Lion was crawling and turned on the heat. Spotlight was reindexing and time machine over the NAS was not stopping.

After all those were completed, like one week later, things are getting a little better, but smoothness is not there like snow leopard.

I am running 2009 MBP 5,5 13" with 2.53ghz C2D, 8GB ram and dual HDD.

Delay in Finder displaying it's content is getting to annoying level.

It does get hotter but that's because of firefox + flash.. Real killer for me. Hesitantly moved over to safari and things are a little cooler.

Feels like Lion demands SSD kind of response from the HDD else you have to wait quite a bit after clicking on something.

Natural scroll is ok to me, got used to it in couple days. However those delays are getting to me!!

avdb12
Aug 7, 2011, 08:51 AM
For those whose is running hotter and saying their CPU is running at max: there must be some process associated with it. What is it?

Good question or better said that is the question! I use now only use Safari, Mail and iTunes and my MBP is running at the max... and CPU is around 80*.
also the Activity monitor is not showing any odd applications running.

basher
Aug 7, 2011, 12:54 PM
Weird. I'm running 50c with safari, Xcode, and dreamweaver running. Guess I'm fortunate.

Nuck81
Aug 7, 2011, 01:00 PM
I'm having no trouble with Heat after Lion.

The only things that gets my fans running hard is games or watching videos/movies...

podsorcerer09
Aug 7, 2011, 01:06 PM
The real problem is people expecting a .0 release to work like a .8. You should know by now that having Lion installed is going to be buggy for some, I had a crash this morning and some smaller heat issues but not too bad. If it really is unbearable to you, go back to Snow Leopard and then upgrade again once we hit 10.7.1 or .2. Expecting a first release, regardless of how may developer previews were run, to be as stable as a more mature release is insane. I get that buggy wifi exists and is a wide spread issue, that alone is good enough reason to downgrade until it's fixed.

tom5304
Aug 7, 2011, 01:29 PM
The real problem is people expecting a .0 release to work like a .8..... that alone is good enough reason to downgrade until it's fixed.

Translation: We should expect Apple to release a buggy operating system that breaks several key functions on our computers. :eek:

This makes no sense.

Quad5Ny
Aug 7, 2011, 02:14 PM
Translation: We should expect Apple to release a buggy operating system that breaks several key functions on our computers. :eek:

This makes no sense.

Developers do this all the time. If we had to wait for all the bugs to be worked out, Lion wouldn't have been released for another year.

I'm sure the power management (heat) issue and WiFi will be worked out in the first point release. In the mean time try reseting the SMC (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964) and/or doing a clean install.

Oh and my 2010 MacBook Air is running just fine on Lion (no bugs).

OW22
Aug 7, 2011, 02:47 PM
No heat difference here at all. Have iStats installed and the same temperatures in Lion I was getting in SL. Same CPU usage as well, currently using 5% of my CPU with multiple apps open and a youtube clip playing.

Hugh
Aug 7, 2011, 04:14 PM
No heat/slow problems on my Late 2007 MacBook with 4gig ram. I'm even running Lion on a Jump Drive and I'm not getting any slow down. :/

Hugh

avdb12
Aug 7, 2011, 04:47 PM
The real problem is people expecting a .0 release to work like a .8. You should know by now that having Lion installed is going to be buggy for some, I had a crash this morning and some smaller heat issues but not too bad. If it really is unbearable to you, go back to Snow Leopard and then upgrade again once we hit 10.7.1 or .2. Expecting a first release, regardless of how may developer previews were run, to be as stable as a more mature release is insane. I get that buggy wifi exists and is a wide spread issue, that alone is good enough reason to downgrade until it's fixed.

The real problem is that many people are experience in this case heat problems regardless of it is a .0 .1 or .8 version. I do understand that some application or functions does not work a 100% due too the update of Lion however this heat issues seem to my that could be know by Apple in the beta test period if you read the many complains on the internet about it ! So it pitty that Apple has launched Lion with this issue.. I also use Istat and at this moment I nearly can boil water on it!

I would like to downgrade to snow leopard however the upgrade to Lion is h*ll of a lot easier than a downgrade... now I need to backup all my files to do a clean install and after the install put all my files back! that need some more time than the hour it needed to updated!! is that Steve his idea of great user experience?

kamuix
Aug 7, 2011, 06:05 PM
not much of a heat issue on my mba. seems to run the same when i still had snow leopard installed. it's in clam shell mode and i don't see my mba choking on the fans to cool it off. mid 2000 rpms as usual before and after lion.

crashmaster1
Aug 7, 2011, 07:11 PM
Running on an 8-core 3.2 gHz box, currently it's at 88 degrees running safari, mail, InDesign & Photoshop. Hottest I've seen was 114 when converting a bunch of 1080p files to burn to bluray for a PS3...

Stable and cool here....

crash

podsorcerer09
Aug 7, 2011, 07:13 PM

This makes no sense.

Translation, you can't expect software developers to get everything 100% perfect on the first release. That's why we have updates. Seing as how this heat issue isn't one that I would call something that "breaks several key functions on our computers" I don't know what you're referring to. If you're talking about Wifi, how you don't like Mission control vs Spaces and Expose, or any of the other frequent complaints, I don't really know what to say about those.

The real problem is that many people are experience in this case heat problems regardless of it is a .0 .1 or .8 version. I do understand that some application or functions does not work a 100% due too the update of Lion however this heat issues seem to my that could be know by Apple in the beta test period if you read the many complains on the internet about it ! So it pitty that Apple has launched Lion with this issue.. I also use Istat and at this moment I nearly can boil water on it!

I would like to downgrade to snow leopard however the upgrade to Lion is h*ll of a lot easier than a downgrade... now I need to backup all my files to do a clean install and after the install put all my files back! that need some more time than the hour it needed to updated!! is that Steve his idea of great user experience?

If people are experiencing this on ".0 .1 or .8" version systems as you say they are then this is not a Lion specific issue. It's a bummer that your computer is getting so hot, it really is and I feel bad about it. I hate it when my computer heats up and I can't use it on my lap like I want to. That being said, I don't think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that heating and/or hardware issues are the kinds of things that are addressed in beta versions through bug reports. It seems to vary from computer to computer and for all intents and purposes might have to do with the configuration of the system and the way snow leopard was set up before it. Since we don't know what is causing this issue, it's hard for Apple to pinpoint and troubleshoot. Hopefully it gets better with time, that's all you can hope for with a .0 release.

hypno2000
Aug 18, 2011, 04:24 AM
With Snow Leopard when the fans started kicking i could always check what was causing it from iSTAT. Usually some process were over 60%. After i upgraded to Lion it has started to overheat a lot more and there is nothing on top of iSTAT thats taking over 1.0% cpu. And also i'm having crashes almost every day. The screen turns black and i have to hold the power button to shut it down and restart computer, this never happened with Snow Leopard.