Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNeedToDoHw

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2011
I'm not playing games or anything, just have about 10 safari tabs open in full screen and email on a full screen. But the top of the keyboard gets too hot to touch. Is this normal? What happens if it gets too hot and what is the best free program to monitor heat?

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
That's probably not normal unless you live near me and don't turn on the Ac in a car that's been outside while encoding video. I kid. It would stop working. But no that doesn't sound normal. Temperature monitor.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
I've edited and rendered videos on it and the fans were running full boar, I was surprised how cool it stayed.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Assuming it is at 100° Celsius it will begin to throttle itself in an attempt to save itself.

If your fans are working I wouldn't worry about it.

If it is throttling you will know, it will begin to act slow and sluggish.

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
they run hot, but if you can't touch the keyboard its either too hot or you have sensitive fingers. Download istat nano and tell us the temps, or take it back to the apple store.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
90ºc is the hottest i've seen my cpu at 100%
normally it's just 60ºc

so something is going on in the background to make your cpu run so hot

komoornik

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
When I was in apple store I've checked 13" with i5 and 11" with i5.

I'm assuming there where there running approx. same time.

Ane it was weird, but the left part of the palmrest on 13" was a bit warm and on 11" it was cool.

Kavrocks

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
I use Chrome instead of Safari and right now I've Mail, iTunes and 15 tabs open and my CPU temp is at 42C. The highest it has been at has been 72C and that was when I was trying to drain the battery as fast as possible. The laptop was still cool except for the underside.

I've never been a fan of Safari and have heard loads of bad things about it. Maybe try switching browsers and seeing if that is the problem?

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I use Chrome instead of Safari and right now I've Mail, iTunes and 15 tabs open and my CPU temp is at 42C. The highest it has been at has been 72C and that was when I was trying to drain the battery as fast as possible. The laptop was still cool except for the underside.

I've never been a fan of Safari and have heard loads of bad things about it. Maybe try switching browsers and seeing if that is the problem?
I have used Chrome for years and like it a lot. Be warned, though, that Chrome 8.0.5 has problems with Lion. For example, ever since I installed Lion on my 2010 MBA, I can only close Chrome by using Force Quit. I have read that Chrome is working on a fix for this and other Lion incompatibilities but it seems not to be available yet. Also, use iStat to keep an eye on whether Chrome processes are hogging your CPU. That's a known bug. Fortunately, you can fix it by closing Chrome. When you reopen Chrome its processes return to normal.

Kavrocks

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
I have used Chrome for years and like it a lot. Be warned, though, that Chrome 8.0.5 has problems with Lion. For example, ever since I installed Lion on my 2010 MBA, I can only close Chrome by using Force Quit. I have read that Chrome is working on a fix for this and other Lion incompatibilities but it seems not to be available yet. Also, use iStat to keep an eye on whether Chrome processes are hogging your CPU. That's a known bug. Fortunately, you can fix it by closing Chrome. When you reopen Chrome its processes return to normal.
I have been monitoring it and have had 0 problems with it and haven't had to Force Quit it once yet. I'm not a fan of Google at all but Chrome seems to be much better in many ways when compared with other major browsers.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I have been monitoring it and have had 0 problems with it and haven't had to Force Quit it once yet. I'm not a fan of Google at all but Chrome seems to be much better in many ways when compared with other major browsers.
Despite the occasional problems I have had with Chrome, I continue to prefer it to other browsers, primarily because of how well it supports tabs.

Kavrocks

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
The 2010 model runs so cool.
So does my 2011 unless I'm streaming a flash video in full screen and even at that the fans don't kick in, the top left corner beside the hinge gets slightly hot but nothing uncomfortable or noticeable unless you press the esc key.

This is the coolest and lightest laptop I've ever had and don't understand why so many are complaining about Sandy Bridge heat issues when they aren't even evident.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
The widget was nice once but they have abandoned it.

So no free iStat? I looked at MiStat in the Mac App Store and it's $4.99. So best to go with the iStat from the website for the same price or a free or lite version available to test out?

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
So no free iStat? I looked at MiStat in the Mac App Store and it's $4.99. So best to go with the iStat from the website for the same price or a free or lite version available to test out?

iStat Menus is much more detailed and customizable.

With MiStat they had to stay within the rules of the Mac App Store. It really limits what they can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.