PDA

View Full Version : Lion becomes laggy, restarts are needed almost daily.

stin987
Jul 30, 2011, 09:05 PM
I love the new lion but 1 major thing I have noticed since the lion update is that I have to restart my computer way too often. Mission control becomes laggy and will just randomly quit working. I don't know what causes this but it requires a restart to fix the problem. Final cut pro X crashes alot. Motion crashes more often than fcp, and the overall performance of my computer can also be sluggish at times. The sluggish part does not last long but it does happen. This was never a problem before lion. In the past the only time I restarted my computer was during software updates.
I am using an iMac 24" model 9,1.

My 13" mbp has been great with no problems. Although the mbp may have issues I just don't use it enough to find them.

They need to patch this stuff quickly.

Is this just a imac problem or does it happen on all systems.

KingCrimson
Jul 30, 2011, 09:12 PM
Is there any where to profile OS X? Track memory usage, open file handles, threads, etc.?

spudwaffle
Aug 3, 2011, 06:24 PM
Is there any where to profile OS X? Track memory usage, open file handles, threads, etc.?

/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor

hcho3
Aug 3, 2011, 08:57 PM
After reading these feedbacks, I actually used MBA with Lion. It was not as good as I hoped. I am waiting for updates until then, I am using Snow leopard.

revenent
Aug 4, 2011, 12:57 AM
Everything is working great so far. Snappy and fast. Just like in the past, i did not have to reboot and only put the mac to sleep. Only problem i face is when using mission control, the previews for the full screen running apps are blank. Other then that, i find it very much faster then SL :rolleyes:

phobox
Aug 4, 2011, 01:36 AM
Performance here for Lion has been generally excellent, a marked improvement over Snow in fact. Mission Control animations can lag a little sometimes, I have noticed that, however nothing stops working and my apps are all working fine without any performance degradation. A lot of the people reporting issues seem to be running Lion upgraded over a previous Snow Leopard install. While that is Apple's supported and clearly preferred path to Lion, I would maintain that clean installs are always preferable to an upgrade in almost every circumstance. Thankfully Lion is just as easy to install clean as Snow was, its just a shame Apple don't make a little more effort to promote that path.

pbrooks
Aug 4, 2011, 01:48 AM
I did an upgrade installation of Lion on my iMac. I have had no slow downs or lagginess. I haven't shut it off in a week just sleeping it at night. It's curious how people are having such wildly different experiences.

starlir
Aug 4, 2011, 01:52 AM
A lot of people running Safari are experiencing sluggish response due to the Safari Web Content process taking lots of CPU and memory. Closing Safari and reopening will temporarily fix the problem but it will slowly return. The general consensus is that this is a memory leak. I suspect different peoples' experiences are likely caused by if and how they are running Safari.

robotphood
Aug 4, 2011, 02:48 AM
Although my MBA doesn't become so laggy that it needs to be restarted, I do experience some lag/stutters I rarely saw in SL. And I never use Safari (Firefox). I also don't really tax my MBA since it's just my dedicated desktop surfing portable. Typical "heavy" use on it would be a dozen or so webpages, a video in VLC, a couple PDF/documents/powerpoints. I kind of jumped the gun on Lion. I pretty much spent $30 on a features I don't use or find superior. A clean install could be in the cards if I find the time. It's only been a year and this install has become pretty cluttered.

rikscha
Aug 4, 2011, 02:53 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

As before safari is a complete disaster. I switched to chrome only because Safari would take up to 1.5gb of ram after a while. After upgrading to 8gb, everything is running smooth again. No need for chrome. If you are multitasking a lot using 4gb only, you should really upgrade to 8gb.

PurrBall
Aug 4, 2011, 08:32 AM
I have an iMac 9,1 as well and I've noticed Mission Control becoming laggy after some time, but none of the other issues.

aeaglex07
Aug 4, 2011, 08:38 AM
lion runs great on my i5 Mini. But i do hope Apple releases and update pretty soon...there are still a few annoyances, especially with Safari's Memory Leak. Also the Mission Control bug where it doesn't always switch to the proper Space or application.