Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
Right now I have 3 different machines with Lion on them, and this is happeneing on all 3.

I have 3 finger swipe to navigate enabled. It works fine in everything except Finder. Well, that is to say, it EVENTUALLY works in Finder. If I open a new Finder window, double-click on a folder and then try to swipe back, nothing happens. I try it again, nothing happens. I let it sit for a minute or two, and try again. Then it works. If I close that Finder window and open a new one, same thing happens. It'll also randomly stop working within the same Finder window.

I do not have the issue in any other apps.

Anyone else seeing this? Kind of annoying but haven't been able to find a fix as of yet.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I just checked and I don't have that problem. I don't know why it's happening to you across three different platforms.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
I have the same problem. It usually works after I try to do a random scroll

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
Whew I thought I was the only one. It's not just Finder for me, either. It happens intermittently all over the place. I can go into system preferences, click trackpad, and have it set. I three finger swipe left, which should take me back to the main sysprefs page, and nothing happens. I gave up on trying to make it work and just set the gesture in BTT, except the problem is that it seems to happen with that route as well. Super annoying.

EDIT: Yeah, the only fix appears to be to try and scroll inside the Finder window, after that it works. I'm going to file a bug report.

HabSonic

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Canada
Did the trick for me. I try reinstalling BTT once the problem was fixed, but it came back. If you only disable BTT in system pref, it won't work. You have to uninstall it (I did it with AppZaper to remove all the extra files). I can't be sure this will work for you, but it did for me. BTT is causing a lot of problems for some users in Lion. I asked BTT developer about my problem and he wasnt able to confirm BTT was causing my problem but he wasn't able to confirm the opposite either.

lotones

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
This is what's working for me...

Touchpad sys pref set to 4 finger swipe left/right = app switch, 4 finger swipe up = mission control, 4 finger swipe down = exposé; BTT installed, set for safari 3 finger tap = new tab, 3 finger swipe up/down = change tabs.

The default Lion gesture settings were too confusing, imho. These settings have saved me a lot of finger/brain cramps. Won't fix the potential bug, but hope it helps...

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
Just for the record, I do not now, nor have I ever had Better Touch Tool installed and I have this issue.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
Touchpad sys pref set to 4 finger swipe left/right = app switch, 4 finger swipe up = mission control, 4 finger swipe down = exposé; BTT installed, set for safari 3 finger tap = new tab, 3 finger swipe up/down = change tabs.

The default Lion gesture settings were too confusing, imho. These settings have saved me a lot of finger/brain cramps. Won't fix the potential bug, but hope it helps...

I don't see what this has to do with the issue being discussed.

Either way, since OP mentioned he has never used BTT, and I can echo that removing it makes no difference, we can infer that this is indeed a Lion bug, not a third party bug. I recommend that anyone ITT having the same issue submit a bug report to Apple.

lotones

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
I don't see what this has to do with the issue being discussed.

Either way, since OP mentioned he has never used BTT, and I can echo that removing it makes no difference, we can infer that this is indeed a Lion bug, not a third party bug. I recommend that anyone ITT having the same issue submit a bug report to Apple.

Sorry... my point was the issue can be avoided with the settings I listed. Again, it's not a fix, but a workaround. ymmv...

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
Sorry... my point was the issue can be avoided with the settings I listed. Again, it's not a fix, but a workaround. ymmv...

I don't have Better Touch Tool, so I'm afraid that's not even an option for me. I am filing a bug report with Apple.

For those others that have this issue, just out of curiousity, do you have DropBox installed (Not Apple's "drop box" but the actual "Dropbox" service/application). On all the machines I've had this issue, I have it installed and I'm trying to remember if I had it before I pulled down my files. No idea why that would matter, but just trying to find a pattern.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Same problem, I don't have anything like Better Touch Tool installed. Most of the time, 3 fingers in Finder works fine. From time to time, it won't. I do have Dropbox installed and it runs fine.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
I don't have Better Touch Tool, so I'm afraid that's not even an option for me. I am filing a bug report with Apple.

For those others that have this issue, just out of curiousity, do you have DropBox installed (Not Apple's "drop box" but the actual "Dropbox" service/application). On all the machines I've had this issue, I have it installed and I'm trying to remember if I had it before I pulled down my files. No idea why that would matter, but just trying to find a pattern.

Yeah, I have dropbox as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.