Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FearlessSpiff

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Hi

Since upgrading to Lion VNC isn't working correctly anymore. When connecting from whatever app on my iPad I get to the new VNC login screen. Then most of the time I'm not able to enter the password. It's like the keyboard is disabled. Sometimes it works, but it is really rare. Connecting from another MacBook is no problem!

Anybody with a fix?

Thanks!

patrickj

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Texas
Hmm, the Screens app for the iPad still works just fine for me. Its App Store page notes that it was updated to be compatible with Lion.

So this looks more like an app issue than a Lion issue.

Teevau

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2011
Have the same issue, VNC worked for me one time only, typically I run into the same issue that the VNC App doesn't get whatever character I enter into the login screen across... Sucks. I hope for that getting fixed in one of the next updates... Or get a different VNC App for iOS

FearlessSpiff

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Screens works! Wasn't cheap though, but will do until Cloud Connect Pro gets it right again...

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Try Remoter VNC; on sale now I believe.

You need to enter BOTH your Mac user name and password to get screen shaing in Lion to work; otherwise, you get stuck at the login page. Lion now allows access to separate user accounts. Some VNC clients allow you to do this, some don't.

I think if you use Remoter VNC to access your Mac via SSH (a cool feature, btw) I don't think you'll have this problem.

Using the Remoter's virtual trackpad with Lion is pretty cool.

And they have great support; they are the ones that tipped me to how to get VNC on Lion to work (and :confused: to :apple: )

Rob

udance4ever

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2005
Remoter VNC rocks Lion!

You need to enter BOTH your Mac user name and password to get screen shaing in Lion to work; otherwise, you get stuck at the login page. Lion now allows access to separate user accounts. Some VNC clients allow you to do this, some don't.

I think if you use Remoter VNC to access your Mac via SSH (a cool feature, btw) I don't think you'll have this problem.

Using the Remoter's virtual trackpad with Lion is pretty cool.

you rock rob! this is probably the best $2 I've ever spent - I'm getting off the LogMeIn bandwagon ASAP - it was great while it lasted.

it was nice to see the app ssh into my Apple TV initially - nice.

then I was able to VNC over SSH to a remote 10.6 server I setup - check.

then I took on VNC to my local 10.7 box.

it took a bit of cajoling and eventually after turning on the advanced feature to ask for the VNC user and VNC password [as rob mentioned] and you've "allowed access" in Screen Sharing of the Sharing control panel (which I overlooked), you can login into the current user (which sees the ARD icon in the menu bar) or start a virtual desktop [to another user (ie. admin)]. it all works - sweet!

I'm gonna have to save VNC over SSH to 10.7 for another day - I'm guessing it will work just fine.

dnathan

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2011
@Rob,

I've worked on this for hours. Do I *need* SSH to make it work?

Does SSH allow me to access my comp from across town? Is that what that's about?

For the VNC username I put the name of my primary Admin account under System Preferences/Users and Group?

My password is the same for my Admin user and the VNC password under Sharing/Remote Management. I don't se anywhere to enter a user name for VNC.

Thanks for your help!

Nathan
(Lion OS, Ipad 4)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.