PDA

View Full Version : iCal Lag

AeroUK
Jul 31, 2011, 03:12 AM
Has anyone noticed that on upgrading to Lion, iCal lags constantly, it takes 10 seconds to become active when opened and then keeps freezing during use.

Any ideas on what is happening here?

Best

Aaron

paulsalter
Jul 31, 2011, 03:28 AM
Dont use iCal anymore, but had a quick look at the new version

Not sure what but it seems to have changed something in the frequency it syncs, seems to sync a lot more than before

when you are having issues with freezing while in use, check the middle of the toolbar, does it flash on saying something along the lines of syncing

Icy1007
Jul 31, 2011, 04:40 AM
Nope, no issues with iCal. Sorry.

Weaselboy
Jul 31, 2011, 04:47 AM
I'm not seeing that behavior in Lion Aaron. I sounds like iCal is trying to update online? Do you have it set to sync to some online calendars perhaps and that is causing the delay.

paulsalter
Jul 31, 2011, 04:50 AM
as a test to see if it is a syncing issue, go into preferences, accounts and change the syncing to five minutes, see how it runs

**I think this only applies to MobileMe, as I dont have an option for push notifications in gmail or yahoo

AeroUK
Jul 31, 2011, 12:54 PM
I have iCal set up to keep my calendars published to MobileMe so that I can sync them with my iPhone.

This was never an issue in Snow Leopard, used to work fine. Getting serious lag every 30 seconds or so under Lion though...

paulsalter
Jul 31, 2011, 12:58 PM
I have iCal set up to keep my calendars published to MobileMe so that I can sync them with my iPhone.

This was never an issue in Snow Leopard, used to work fine. Getting serious lag every 30 seconds or so under Lion though...

give it a try setting the sync to do it every 5 mins instead of push, just see how it works

will show if this is causing the issue

AeroUK
Jul 31, 2011, 01:04 PM
Agghhh I just gave myself a HUGE scare. I deleted the MobileMe account from the preferences and all my my entries vanished...

But then iCal re-added them by itself and the sync icon changed from the error symbol to the working symbol.

Everything is smooth now but I think I had a mild heart attack for a second there!! I guess the account options got messed up. I wonder why it recovered everything though, I guess it pushed it back from the server...

Best

Aaron

AeroUK
Jul 31, 2011, 01:21 PM
Does anyone know what happened to the 'Publish Calendar' settings to get it published to another place other than Mobile Me. I only see 'Share Calendar' for mobile me sharing...

fuminthumin
Dec 9, 2011, 01:24 PM
Lion stinks. I have issues with EVERY app. Anyway, I am taking everyone's advice and changing from push to 15 minutes. We'll see how that goes.

magiknet
Jan 30, 2012, 05:52 AM
I was onto Apple support who suggested it might be one of my apps (Geektool and others) that are not supported in the new version. I removed these (losing the functionality they used to provide) and still the issue persists. I wish I had not upgrade to lion (I had no choice it was on my new machine) as its really hampering my efforts to run a business.

I am not subscribed to external calendars and I don't sync to mobile me... any thoughts would be much appreciated.

A friend says its something to do with IPv6 - which you can't control very easily in the networking system prefs in Lion.

Solution..
After much more research on other forums it seems that most people favour BusyCal. I have downloaded a trial and in appearance it is basically iCal before Lion (which is refreshing), the To Dos are a little neater, otherwise I can't see much else that will benefit me - other than the main feature that it works. Just a shame I will have to buy this simply to get standard iCal functionality.

Has anyone noticed that on upgrading to Lion, iCal lags constantly, it takes 10 seconds to become active when opened and then keeps freezing during use.

Any ideas on what is happening here?

Best

Aaron