PDA

View Full Version : Downloaded files warnings in Lion -- completely broken?

stratokaster
Jul 31, 2011, 06:09 AM
It seems downloaded files warnings in Lion are completely broken. In Snow Leopard this system worked as expected and only displayed security messages when I was trying to open freshly downloaded applications. However, in Lion those messages appear every time I open any file downloaded from internet or received via email. Since I open tens and hundreds emailed attachments every day, it annoys me beyond all reason. It really is worse than Vista's extremely obnoxious security system.

http://www.ljplus.ru/img4/p/a/pavelurusov/Screen-Shot-2011-07-31-at-1.02.37-PM.png

Thankfully, there is a Terminal command to stop this madness. I don't like this solution because it compromises overall security somewhat, but I had to do this for the sake of my sanity.

defaults write com.apple.LaunchServices LSQuarantine -bool NO

mrapplegate
Jul 31, 2011, 06:37 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

It seems downloaded files warnings in Lion are completely broken. In Snow Leopard this system worked as expected and only displayed security messages when I was trying to open freshly downloaded applications. However, in Lion those messages appear every time I open any file downloaded from internet or received via email. Since I open tens and hundreds emailed attachments every day, it annoys me beyond all reason. It really is worse than Vista's extremely obnoxious security system.

http://www.ljplus.ru/img4/p/a/pavelurusov/Screen-Shot-2011-07-31-at-1.02.37-PM.png

Thankfully, there is a Terminal command to stop this madness. I don't like this solution because it compromises overall security somewhat, but I had to do this for the sake of my sanity.

defaults write com.apple.LaunchServices LSQuarantine -bool NO

I think it is a bug. There was another thread about this happening with jpg files in preview.
Like you said use your method until it is fixed keeping in mind there might be a slight security risk.

broadcast
Nov 3, 2011, 02:18 AM
It's November, we're on 10.7.2, and still no fix for this. I'm afraid Apple might think this is a great security feature... but it's the very thing they made fun of Windows for in all those commercials.

Dolorian
Nov 3, 2011, 06:35 AM
Thanks for posting that terminal command, will definitely use it. This is a seriously annoying "feature" of Lion. I receive/download zipped files from clients with lots of pictures and under SL I was able to drag multiple jpgs into Photoshop to open them, but with Lion, it shows this warning message for each file, forcing me to open the pictures one at a time.

Annoying and completely pointless, worst indeed, than the dreaded Vista warning message. Not to mention that documents are not applications.

broadcast
Nov 13, 2011, 01:06 AM
The terminal command is good, but like mrapplegate said, it compromises the overall security. It's not going to warn you when you open apps you've downloaded--something that is an actual security risk.

I used Windows for almost my entire life, and this was part of Vista that annoyed me to the point where I switched to Mac. In fact Apple ripped on PC so much because of this, they did a whole campaign on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuqZ8AqmLPY

Guess what? Apple is doing the exact same thing with Lion.

hubertusbigend
Nov 17, 2011, 06:16 PM

This works great. [Note: seems like you have to reboot for it to take effect.]

You know what is really insane, if the whole point of this "feature" is to not open malware masquerading as other files types, can the OS automatically check this? In the info for this "feature", Mac is telling me open the information on the file to see if it's really what supposed to be. If I can figure this out by hitting command-i, can't the OS do this automatically???

I've been an Apple user since 1982, but "features" like this are strongly making me consider linux on my next system.