Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iostream.h

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
I figured I would ask this question here, as you all and I probably share the same aesthetic tastes. I'm looking for a smaller size, high-quality stereo I can put on my table. I need the sound be extremely high quality, and for the actual component size to be small. I'm looking to spend less than $600.00 USD. The only thing necessary on the receiver is a tuner, CD player, and a place to plug in my iBook or iPod. Thanks in advance.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I would recommend looking on newegg. They have a lot of stereo systems/computer speakers for resonable prices. Whats the most speakers you want? Newegg has a lot of good deals on 2.1 setups.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I think io is asking for a recommendation of quality of sound, not quantity of low prices. There are many $300 and up mini stereos that sound like @#$%. NewEgg and the other discount sellers will hype these just as much as the ones that sound decent.

The thing to do is to take CD's that you are very familiar with, go to stores and listen to as many units as you can. Start building a list of those that are good and bad. You can't judge solely on the suggested retail price, brand name, size or feature count. Only by ear.

<story>I went with a JVC unit for the bedroom, from Radio Shack of all places. We had walked in to buy our final choice (which was a Sony if I remember) and the salesman said "Don't buy this one -- it's a good unit but the JVC one I have at home is better, and is on clearance on the online store for $100 less than the Sony with free shipping" Well, that certainly surprised us, so we went home and ordered it online and it's great. </story>

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
If I were you, I would buy a used NAD integrated amplifier (search eBay for NAD integrated or NAD receiver, but stay away from any with surround sound), and some good bookshelf speakers by PolkAudio, B&W, Advent, etc. Add in some nice speaker cable, and you'll have better sound than any "2.1" computer speaker setup could ever get close to.

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
The old Bose Wave Radio is great for an office, and has an aux input. Not sure about the new version, the one with the slot loading CD and no buttons (only a remote? WTF). While your at your local mall, stop and check one out, should be under $500.

MrKahuna

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2005
Have a look at the Cambridge Soundworks 740 . They sound pretty nice and are not very big at all.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
BOSE WAVE RADIO

The Bose wave radio is the best sound quality you will find ever for its size. Its perfect for what you want to do and its pretty clean looking. If their has ever been anything that I have been 100% sure on, it would be this!!!!!! I swear it is AMAZING!!!!! Ive had and have quite an array of bose products myself and ive never been happier. The quality is absolutley amazing. If anyone tries to tell you that their is something better out there, theres NOT! Go listen to it for yourself. You will deffinatley know what im talking about when you hear it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.