PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to do?

BaldyUK
Jul 31, 2011, 09:02 AM
Hi,

I've had my MBP for about 2 years now starting at Leopard, then Snow Leopard and recently to Lion, all upgraded from one to another. Over time my hard drive has been getting a bit cluttered so I'm thinking about doing a clean install of Lion.

I've got the Lion .dmg on a USB stick and my hard drive is backed up to a time capsule.

All I want to keep is my music which is in a folder called MP3s and my photos in a Pictures folder, plus a general Documents folder.

Is it a case of just reinstalling Lion then once that is done going into time machine and restoring the three folders? I just don't want to lose all my Aperture stuff and music.

Sorry for the basic questions but better safe than sorry.

Thanks in advance.

BaldyUK
Jul 31, 2011, 10:55 AM
Anyone?

Jagardn
Jul 31, 2011, 11:24 AM
With the Migration Assistant you can import selected folders. To keep all of your Aperture settings you may have to import all settings, not so sure you can just select a single app.

Here is a link that may help.
http://www.procata.com/blog/archives/2007/02/16/how-to-transfer-mac-os-x-application-data-between-computers/

baryon
Jul 31, 2011, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by the fact that you have the DMG on the USB stick: you did do it via Disk Utility, you didn't just copy it over right?

Once you have everything, make sure you have a Time Machine backup of at least all the stuff you don't want to lose, but I recommend a backup of everything, in case you realize you need it later.

If everything's backed up, then format your computer, make sure you don't do anything with the Time Machine drive (just unplug it to make 100% sure it's safe).

Install Lion, and once that's done, plug in your Time Machine drive and I'd say go into it via Finder, not the Time Machine interface, though it doesn't really matter. Find the stuff you want to put back, and copy paste them back to wherever you want! That should do it.

robgendreau
Jul 31, 2011, 01:20 PM
Why don't you just delete the stuff you don't want, run the installer, and enjoy Lion? Sounds like you're going to a lot of trouble for no reason.

Rob