PDA

View Full Version : Triple-Tap Dictionary Lookup Not Working

jason.siegel
Jul 31, 2011, 10:59 AM
Oh, no! What happened? My triple-tap dictionary lookup is not working anymore. It's still configured in the system prefs. Any idea?

Thanks.

*LTD*
Jul 31, 2011, 11:03 AM
I double-tap with three fingers. It works fine.

ideal.dreams
Jul 31, 2011, 11:06 AM
The gesture to invoke the dictionary is double tap with three fingers, not triple tap.

jason.siegel
Jul 31, 2011, 11:14 AM
Ok, "double tap with three fingers," then. It doesn't work anymore.

Amberfool
Jul 31, 2011, 11:16 AM
Oh, no! What happened? My triple-tap dictionary lookup is not working anymore. It's still configured in the system prefs. Any idea?

Thanks.
Firstly you can't do it when your typing and your blinking cursor is in the middle of the word you want to look up, and secondly, make sure that your mouse has changed to a cursor over the word you want to look up. If both of those are good, and your tapping two times quickly with three fingers, then I would just report it to apple, cause your doing everything correctly. Also try it out in multiple apps. Is your problem system wide?

ideal.dreams
Jul 31, 2011, 11:17 AM
What app are you trying to use it in?

jason.siegel
Jul 31, 2011, 11:25 AM
Hmm, interesting. It's not working in Chrome or Preview, but it is working in Safari. Isn't this supposed to be system-wide?

Amberfool
Jul 31, 2011, 11:37 AM
Hmm, interesting. It's not working in Chrome or Preview, but it is working in Safari. Isn't this supposed to be system-wide?
Chrome doesn't support it yet. No idea why it isn't working in Preview though.

ideal.dreams
Jul 31, 2011, 12:08 PM

It's not system wide. Apps released before Lion may update to include its new features and the dictionary is one of them. Safari works because it is made by Apple and obviously supports all of Lion's new features.

Patrick J
Jul 31, 2011, 04:39 PM
In Preview itís probably not working because the text in the file you are viewing is saved as an image.

Try exporting a Pages document to PDF to test.

iPagan
Aug 3, 2011, 05:46 PM
In Preview itís probably not working because the text in the file you are viewing is saved as an image.

Try exporting a Pages document to PDF to test.

I am viewing a PDF document in Preview, and when I double tap with three fingers, the word's definition does NOT pop up!?:(

Two apps I'd like the double-tap, look-up function to work in:

1. Preview
2. Chrome

So far, no workie....:rolleyes: