Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Does anyone know about this process? Any help would be appreciated.

It's used in the management and storage of cookies. Part of the OS Lion CoreServices.
Here is the man page info:

NAME
cookied -- The HTTP cookie storage daemon

SYNOPSIS
cookied

DESCRIPTION
cookied is a per-user daemon which manages the user's cookie storage.

There are no configuration options to cookied. Users should not run cookied manually.

Mac OS X Feb 2, 2010 Mac OS X

Last edited:

jgould

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Columbus Ohio
Not to resurrect a really old thread, but should this daemon be eating 1.38GB of real memory?

I just happened to notice that I was using a lot of RAM on my 11" MBA and this process just keeps growing...

What will happen if I kill it?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Not to resurrect a really old thread, but should this daemon be eating 1.38GB of real memory?

It's using 2.6 MB on mine, so I'd wager that no, it shouldn't be using anywhere near what it's using for you!

I have no idea what the effects would be if you kill it though.

jgould

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Columbus Ohio
It's using 2.6 MB on mine, so I'd wager that no, it shouldn't be using anywhere near what it's using for you!

I have no idea what the effects would be if you kill it though.

I'm gonna do a complete shutdown after I finsih what I'm working on. Strange things are bound to happen on a machine that's had 13 *days* of uptime...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm gonna do a complete shutdown after I finsih what I'm working on. Strange things are bound to happen on a machine that's had 13 *days* of uptime...

That uptime shouldn't be a problem; mine's at 10 days because I think there was an update that required a reboot. My other machine, which I haven't installed that particular update on, is at 83 days* and seems to still be working flawlessly :)

*That would've been when I updated it to 10.8.3.

jgould

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Columbus Ohio
That uptime shouldn't be a problem; mine's at 10 days because I think there was an update that required a reboot. My other machine, which I haven't done the update on, is at 83 days* and seems to still be working flawlessly :)

*That would've been when I updated it to 10.8.3.

My MBP is at 18 days and counting. I figured a reboot won't hurt to restart cookied. My MBP lists it at just shy of 4MB so Something went wonky on the Air...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.