PDA

View Full Version : OSX Lion as a Parallels VM?

emiljan
Jul 31, 2011, 03:13 PM
Is it possible to install Lion as a virtual machine in Parallels yet? I just downloaded the latest version of Parallels 6 (6.0.12094.676494) from macupdate.com and i wanted to try it out.

Has anybody been able to do this successfully, and have u run into any issues?

brand
Jul 31, 2011, 04:03 PM
What host OS do you plan on virtualizing Lion on?

emiljan
Jul 31, 2011, 04:15 PM
OSX Lion. I want to run a vm just to test software to make sure they work before i install them on a production system.

robgendreau
Jul 31, 2011, 06:14 PM
This has only recently been possible, legally.

Now you can, but tne hurdle is that you can't legally virtualize Lion unless you bought it through the Mac Store, and you can only do it on a Mac. I don't know if Parallels will let you do it, though; previous attempts involved some hacks. I would think it's only a matter of time before it becomes OK given that it's now legal.

Let us know if you find out how to do it.

It's a shame they didn't open this up so we could virtualize older Mac system software so we could run Rosetta, but I believe there were licensing issues with that.

Rob

MacBob1240
Aug 27, 2011, 02:29 PM
I have been reluctant to switch to Lion because of things Like Appleworks that I still like to use for some things.

Today I had the though of running either Lion or Snow Leopard on Parallels. It occurs to me, it might be best to go ahead and upgrade to Lion, then put Snow Leopard in a Virtual Machine in Parallels from my Snow Leopard disk.

Not sure how I could download Lion without doing it this way. Any ideas before I try it?
Thanks,
Bob W :o