Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
Back in the day, meaning 05-07 I did a lot of work on beats and the such, of course that was on a PC and I primarily used Fruity Loops, I know they don't make a Mac equivilent, and I fell out of the lab for a few years, during those years I switched to a Mac, now I am wondering what is a good substitute? Logic? Garage Band is neat, but its too limited to some of things I wanna do.

Any other techno/trance/dubsteppers/beat makers wanna help me out with some ideas?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Back in the day, meaning 05-07 I did a lot of work on beats and the such, of course that was on a PC and I primarily used Fruity Loops, I know they don't make a Mac equivilent, and I fell out of the lab for a few years, during those years I switched to a Mac, now I am wondering what is a good substitute? Logic? Garage Band is neat, but its too limited to some of things I wanna do.

Any other techno/trance/dubsteppers/beat makers wanna help me out with some ideas?

If would help a lot if you told us why Garage Band too limited. I'd hate to recommend something that has the same limitation. So I'd say to get Logic Express. But I'm guessing because I don't know what you are missing in GB.

Logic Express is not expensive. If it lacks some feature you must have, likely some third party sells a plug-in. Logic's Ultra Beat is not a bad drum machine but later if you don't like it you can add something else to Logic.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
.le sigh :S

huh :confused:

------

Logic is great. But it does have a lot to learn. Reason is cool too. The up & coming V6 looks nice..
Not used Ableton myself, but it generally has a good reputation.
Cubase may also be worth a look, although i've not used it for years.

Any of the above is capable of doing what you want for sure.

aonali21

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Jhang.Punjab,Pakistan

Reason 4
Cubase
Pro Tools
these are the software to do that.....!

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
I use Logic, anything modern is fine bro so you can use plugins etc. Heaps of it comes down to your sampling and what you do with things way more than the software you use

JimBrown1

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
Dubstep is smashing the club scene both in the UK and the USA right now. Dubstep Artists are making some amazing music right now and enjoying the time of their lives DJ'ing at parties around the world. This underground music is getting BIG and people are making CASH!

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Dubstep is smashing the club scene both in the UK and the USA right now. Dubstep Artists are making some amazing music right now and enjoying the time of their lives DJ'ing at parties around the world. This underground music is getting BIG and people are making CASH!

Umm, yes thats great 'n all, but how does that answer the guys question?

The soon to be released REASON 6 is one amazing music creation package. Definitely check it out.

Yep! Im looking forward to that one ;)

jmacnash

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
I am old and terminally square, but given my understanding of the pattern based nature of dubstep I would recommend Live as well.

Hiphop could be done with any of the platforms and will really depend on the virtual instruments and sampling drum software you use. Something like Native Instruments Battery or Sonivox's Pulse will give you a great starting point on laying down beats, and I love anything by Rob Papen for synths and bass lines.

Who are the artists you love? Teddy Riley uses Studio One, Eminem uses Protools and Logic, it really comes down to what you are comfortable with because the technology has moved so far forward you can do almost anything with any of them. The little things are what separates them now.

App King

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
I tried many dubstep software and I would say DUBturbo is my personal favorite. It has step by step video tutorials which teaches you how to use the software which is great if you are new to making music. You get like 1,000s of sounds and beats, virtual musical instruments, and software updates. It is both pc and mac compatible so don't worry you mac lovers :p. The only thing I don't like about this software is that you have to order it online, they don't sell it at the stores. Other than that it is better, less confusing, and less expensive than the other ones I tried. O ya, and if you don't like it, you can get a full refund within 60 days, nothing to lose really.
You can read more about it here:
http://bestdubstepsongs.net/dubstep-software-best-dubstep-program/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.