PDA

View Full Version : transfer files from Lion to Vista

solarguy17
Jul 31, 2011, 04:10 PM
I am trying to move some files (.mov) from my Macbook with Lion to my older tower with Vista. Now, before I get blasted for this switch, let me explain. My macbook only has 250GB HDD space. I have 50GB of video from my wedding, honeymoon and such.
I want to transfer these videos to the 750HDD on the tower and remove them from my macbook so I can start working on new videos for my child's birth.

the former method that seems to no longer work with lion. I used computer sharing and for some reason now it doesn't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions, other then of course transferring to an external HDD and sending it further over???

Tiki35
Oct 29, 2011, 10:36 AM
On the Vista machine, turn on file sharing and share a folder.
Go Start, Run, and type cmd
Then type ipconfig to get the IP address. Let's say it's 192.168.0.5

Now from the Mac:
Open Finder, Go, Connect to Server
type smb://192.168.0.5/

Enter username and password to Vista machine if prompted.

Your shared folder should come up and you should be able to mount it.

Then it's drag and drop from there. I hope these machines are wired with ethernet cables to the network because this a lot of data to transfer.

mainstay
Oct 29, 2011, 09:43 PM
For transferring such large data I would recommend using a good finder / explorer alternative (Speed Commander or Directory Opus for Windows or Path Finder for Mac) which allows for retrying failed copies or simply pushing through the copy procedure and informing you of which files failed to copy at the end. [yes, there are many other methods including unstoppable copiers and other command line / terminal commands, but the ones listed above work very well].

This prevents you from having to hover around, monitoring the transfer... and if something fails, from having to start from scratch each time (possibly getting frustrated / confused as to what has transferred and preventing the creation of duplicates).

As a point of observation, I have found transferring with Vista to best succeed when initiated from the PC (i.e., do the file copy commands from within Windows - from the remote mac to the local pc).

And disable the Windows firewall temporarily (only saying this because you are saying it is suddenly not working).

And

"I hope these machines are wired with ethernet cables to the network because this a lot of data to transfer. "

Couldn't agree more.

solarguy17
Nov 27, 2011, 06:17 PM
wow, long time between original post and response, but thanks!

I ended up using a large portable HDD and transferring the files that way. Not quick but worked. I will try you suggestion to though, I have occasionally needed to send smaller files, like word docs and such.

Thanks!