PDA

View Full Version : Windows Partition deleted after Lion install

mgartner0622
Jul 31, 2011, 06:55 PM
Hello-
I just upgraded two of my MacBook Pros to Lion.
My windows partitions on both of them are now gone... I tried searching in the forum and no one seems to have encountered this problem. If I look in disk utility, the partition still appears to be there, but it is not mounted in finder nor can I start up from it while holding the option key.
Any suggestions, or did anyone else encounter this problem?
One MacBook Pro is running Windows 7 Enterprise, and the other Home Premium.
Thanks!

GuerillaTech
Jul 31, 2011, 07:01 PM
Hello-
My windows partitions on both of them are now gone... I tried searching in the forum and no one seems to have encountered this problem. If I look in disk utility, the partition still appears to be there, but it is not mounted in finder nor can I start up from it while holding the option key.
Thanks!

boot into the recovery partition and verify disk and repair disk, then repair permissions.

gentlefury
Jul 31, 2011, 07:01 PM
Hello-
Thanks!

Your windows boot loader may have gotten deleted when it repartitioned. Insert your windows disk, boot off of it and have it repair the installation. If that doesn't work you can go into a terminal and type

diskutil list

Find which drive is bootcamp....mine is disk0s4

once you find that out type

diskutil mount disk0s4

That will mount the bootcamp drive in finder, you can backup anything important than reinstall windows.

mgartner0622
Jul 31, 2011, 07:38 PM
Your windows boot loader may have gotten deleted when it repartitioned. Insert your windows disk, boot off of it and have it repair the installation. If that doesn't work you can go into a terminal and type

Find which drive is bootcamp....mine is disk0s4

once you find that out type

That will mount the bootcamp drive in finder, you can backup anything important than reinstall windows.

I just did this and terminal replies with "volume on disk0s4 failed to mount"
I am sure that the Windows partition is disk0s4 so I still don't know how to fix this.

EDIT: Oh well, I just rememberd I had everything backed up on my windows hard drive so I just formatted the partition and am now reinstalling. Thanks for your help!