Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willie5566

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
What do you guys suggest for light photo editing. Here are some things that I anticipate needing:

1. Being able to add text to photos.
2. Blurring out part of the photo. I may take some photos with people that did not give me their permission. I want to be able to make their faces unrecognizable. I do not want to just put a black dot over their face though.
3. Minor touch ups to color, etc.

I don't think any of these are major features. I am looking for something easy to use since this is certainly not my profession.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Pixelmator is probably the right choice for you, although there are some other free solutions around as well

I have found Pixelmator to be a great value

But you can try the Gimp (free)
Paintbrush
Seashore
or even GraphicConverter

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
You can do what you describe in iPhoto and Preview.

Preview - Add text -- Tools - annotate - add text
Blur faces -- use the retouch tool in iPhoto

Both pieces of allow you to adjust colour etc although iPhoto has more features.

Pixelmator is a great one piece solution but you have to pay for it.

Willie5566

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Thanks for the input.

I downloaded the free version Pixelmator last night and have been playing around with it. So far learning has been rough. The tools are not as intuitive as I would like. I have been watching videos on how to do different things with it, which has helped some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.