PDA

View Full Version : Spaces

rfgreen
Jul 31, 2011, 09:39 PM
Rather than clean all the documents and stuff off of my new Lion desktop, I thought I would just open a new space but alas all my documents appear there too. Is there a way to open a clean desktop?

topmounter
Jul 31, 2011, 10:02 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been covered already. Click on the + in the upper right hand corner of MC.

Icy1007
Jul 31, 2011, 10:05 PM
By default, Finder is set to display on all "Desktops", just Ctrl-click on the finder icon in the dock, go to options and then uncheck "All Desktops".

robgendreau
Aug 1, 2011, 09:25 AM
I think the OP is asking whether icons on the desktop can be made to go away, although I'm not sure. Dunno how to do that, although it would be cool.

BTW, my Finder default was to show on "none," although it always seems to be there. I assume that means as I use finder windows they show and stay on that desktop, right?

Rob

AdeFowler
Aug 1, 2011, 09:29 AM
I think the OP is asking whether icons on the desktop can be made to go away, although I'm not sure. Dunno how to do that, although it would be cool.
Rob

If that's the case the OP should do some filing ;) Seriously, it's why we have all those folders in the Home folder.

Mikegs
Aug 1, 2011, 02:16 PM
I assume the OP wants different files and folders placed on different desktop spaces, say one desktop for work and filled with work documents etc and a desktop for play with movies etc placed on that.

I want that too, but I don't know if it is possible.

Now we're at it, isn't it annoying when you assign a few apps to a desktop, you have to keep that desktop in Mission Control even though you quit all apps assigned to it. Why doesn't lion just remember that "these apps are assigned to a separate desktop space, whenever one of them are opened, I will make a desktop space for them and when all are quit, then I'll delete the desktop space so it doesn't fill up in MC"

baryon
Aug 1, 2011, 02:42 PM
Now we're at it, isn't it annoying when you assign a few apps to a desktop, you have to keep that desktop in Mission Control even though you quit all apps assigned to it. Why doesn't lion just remember that "these apps are assigned to a separate desktop space, whenever one of them are opened, I will make a desktop space for them and when all are quit, then I'll delete the desktop space so it doesn't fill up in MC"

Because you can also open Apps that are not assigned to any desktop, so you'd eventually end up with one desktop and any new unassigned app would have to be assigned to a new space, even if you only want to have a given app in its own space just once.

If I want 2 Safari windows, each in its own space, I wouldn't be able to do it as there is no way to assign specific windows to specific spaces, just whole apps.

Mikegs
Aug 1, 2011, 02:59 PM
Because you can also open Apps that are not assigned to any desktop, so you'd eventually end up with one desktop and any new unassigned app would have to be assigned to a new space, even if you only want to have a given app in its own space just once.

If I want 2 Safari windows, each in its own space, I wouldn't be able to do it as there is no way to assign specific windows to specific spaces, just whole apps.

I don't see the problem: If you quit all apps belonging to a desktop space it should close and leave all "unassigned/show on all desktops" apps that are still open on one desktop. I think Mission control should not be cluttered with 5 empty desktops, but it should however remember the assignments and recreate the desktop spaces once the apps are opened again.