PDA

View Full Version : Is my Ram maxed out?

Jul 31, 2011, 10:21 PM
I've recently upgraded from 2 to 4gigram, and i still notice that it gets to about 10meg ram free when using lightroom/final cut pro. does this mean im even maxing out my 4gig?, maybe i should take it back, pay abit extra and get 8 but dont want to spend the money if i can do something different. any advice would be nice. :apple:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/149358/Screen%20Shot%202011-08-01%20at%202.09.17%20AM.png

boshii
Jul 31, 2011, 10:23 PM
Looks like you need more ram.

flopticalcube
Jul 31, 2011, 10:23 PM
OSX will use the ram that's available. You have very little page out activity which indicates that you are not short of RAM.

rkaufmann87
Jul 31, 2011, 10:42 PM
Your system needs a RAM upgrade. 11MB of FREE RAM indicates it's almost out, this will affect performance. RAM is incredibly inexpensive now, I think you will see a performance bump by upgrading it. If you do decide to upgrade the RAM don't buy it from Apple directly buy it from reputable resellers such as OWC (www.macsales.com) or Crucial.

You don't indicate which Mac you have but if you look on OWC's web site you will find installation videos. For most Macs upgrading RAM is extremely simple.

Nuckinfuts
Jul 31, 2011, 10:46 PM
Your system needs a RAM upgrade. 11MB of FREE RAM indicates it's almost out, this will affect performance. RAM is incredibly inexpensive now, I think you will see a performance bump by upgrading it. If you do decide to upgrade the RAM don't buy it from Apple directly buy it from reputable resellers such as OWC (www.macsales.com) or Crucial.

You don't indicate which Mac you have but if you look on OWC's web site you will find installation videos. For most Macs upgrading RAM is extremely simple.

As a previous poster pointed out looking at the page outs, you're wrong

boshii
Jul 31, 2011, 10:50 PM
http://www.macworld.com/article/49263/2006/02/speedram.html

Read the section: How do I know if I need more RAM

Gemütlichkeit
Jul 31, 2011, 10:53 PM
This is when users start poking around the OS :o

Your system is fine.

Jul 31, 2011, 11:21 PM
This is when users start poking around the OS :o

Your system is fine.

It's the first MacBook unibody 2.4

Thanks everyone, I think I will return it and put in a few extra dollars and get 8gram.

Gemütlichkeit: I haven't done anything to my os other than install lion which did slow things down a fair bit, thus the upgrade in ram.