PDA

View Full Version : Lion to Snow Leopard file - folder permission issues, back to lion

SylarDX85
Jul 31, 2011, 10:32 PM
I downgraded back to Snow Leopard after I was unhappy with Lion, I backed up all my filed with time machine to my external HDD before I downgraded. I reformatted the mac HDD with a clean install of SL. Once this was complete, I was not able to restore my files from my HDD using time machine, so I imported them all manually.

Everything looked fine, but when I went to rename any of my pictures, videos or music, it required authentication and authorization for permission to change the files or there location within my mac. I ran disk utility from my install disk, and performed a permission repair, and disk repair from the install disk. Did not work.

I re-upgraded back to lion to see if this would help and fix the issue, since there as no issue in lion before i downgraded.

I was wrong, I am still having an issue every-time i try to move a picture,video,document, music from my files to another location, or modify them.

Can anyone please help? Thank you so much in advance!

Nuckinfuts
Jul 31, 2011, 10:39 PM
I downgraded back to Snow Leopard after I was unhappy with Lion, I backed up all my filed with time machine to my external HDD before I downgraded. I reformatted the mac HDD with a clean install of SL. Once this was complete, I was not able to restore my files from my HDD using time machine, so I imported them all manually.

Everything looked fine, but when I went to rename any of my pictures, videos or music, it required authentication and authorization for permission to change the files or there location within my mac. I ran disk utility from my install disk, and performed a permission repair, and disk repair from the install disk. Did not work.

I re-upgraded back to lion to see if this would help and fix the issue, since there as no issue in lion before i downgraded.

I was wrong, I am still having an issue every-time i try to move a picture,video,document, music from my files to another location, or modify them.

Can anyone please help? Thank you so much in advance!

Did you change your username? it sounds like the permissions aren't right on the files. The only fix is for you to go in and learn the "chown" command to redefine which user owns the files.

Open terminal and type "man chown", this will show you how to use chown

SylarDX85
Jul 31, 2011, 10:54 PM
I thought about the username issue, but It never changed. I kept it the same.

Nuckinfuts
Jul 31, 2011, 10:57 PM
I thought about the username issue, but It never changed. I kept it the same.

The files could have been changed to root ownership, repair permissions in disk utility and check who owns your files with "ls -l" in terminal

SylarDX85
Jul 31, 2011, 11:13 PM
The files could have been changed to root ownership, repair permissions in disk utility and check who owns your files with "ls -l" in terminal

Okay, when I use the command you gave I get:

total 0
drwxrwx---+ 5 AdrianAbeyta staff 170 Jul 31 22:06 Desktop
drwxrwx---+ 39 AdrianAbeyta staff 1326 Jul 31 22:06 Documents
drwxrwx---+ 40 AdrianAbeyta staff 1360 Jul 31 22:06 Downloads
drwxrwx---@ 38 AdrianAbeyta staff 1292 Jul 31 21:11 Library
drwxrwx---+ 14 AdrianAbeyta staff 476 Jul 31 22:06 Movies
drwxrwx---+ 4 AdrianAbeyta staff 136 Jul 31 22:06 Music
drwxrwx---+ 131 AdrianAbeyta staff 4454 Jul 31 22:06 Pictures
drwxrwxr-x+ 5 AdrianAbeyta staff 170 Jul 30 06:51 Public
drwxrwxr-x+ 5 AdrianAbeyta staff 170 Jul 30 06:51 Sites

I chose my name "AdrianAbeyta" as my username, as I reused this as well again.

When I look at a file from my "Broncos Game" pictures the file line is

/Users/AdrianAbeyta/Pictures/

when I click get info on the picture.

robgendreau
Aug 1, 2011, 09:28 AM
By now things are probably pretty fuddled.

Did you try using Migration Ass't? I got around this issue once by deleting my main user account, then migrating to one with a new name.

rob

SylarDX85
Aug 1, 2011, 10:53 AM
By now things are probably pretty fuddled.

Did you try using Migration Ass't? I got around this issue once by deleting my main user account, then migrating to one with a new name.

rob

When I restored Mac back to Snow Leopard, during the setup process, I selected to restore my data from my time machine backup. It gave me an error, and said the OS X was not able to restore the data from the backup.

Same thing when I got to the desktop, and I attempted to setup Time machine, and restore my previous backups. They show in time machine, but I was not able to click restore on any of the backups.

I instead went manually with finder into my external HDD and imported them all into the pictures. movies, and music folder.

Looked fine, until I tried to change the name, move the file out of the folder, etc.. requires a password for everything I modify with those files, and half of the time, I get a Access denied.