Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

super michael

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
I was wondering around what time will the ipod touch 5 generation be out? This will be my first ipod touch.

Will this ipod touch be the true 5th gen? The reason I ask is because my friend got the 3rd gen ipod touch, but it turns out that it was the 2nd gen, even though the shop said its 3rd gen.

My friend ipod touch is 3rd gen 8GB, yet the model number says it 2nd gen.

I want to avoid doing the same mistake like my friend.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I was wondering around what time will the ipod touch 5 generation be out? This will be my first ipod touch.

No one knows. A lot of rumors point to a new iPhone this fall, but their is a lack of iPod rumors right now, so its hard to say if their will even be a new iPod touch this fall.

Will this ipod touch be the true 5th gen? The reason I ask is because my friend got the 3rd gen ipod touch, but it turns out that it was the 2nd gen, even though the shop said its 3rd gen.

This naming convention was confusing...

My friend ipod touch is 3rd gen 8GB, yet the model number says it 2nd gen.

Even though Apple marketed 8gb model as the 3rd generation iPod touch, it was still 2nd gen hardware and only the 32gb and 64gb models were actually upgraded and truly 3rd gen.

I want to avoid doing the same mistake like my friend.

The 4th generation iPod touch is still a great device. Is their a specific feature that your hoping the next gen will have?

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
That hasn't happened since. All of the fourth gen iPods are true fourth gen specs. It is highly likely that the fifth gen will be as well. September is the iPod refresh, I guess about two weeks in.

super michael

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
I see so there will not be any problems like 2nd gen and 3rd, thanks for the information.

Well the 4th gen has everything I need, but I rather wait for the 5th gen, since I am in no rush to buy. If I like what the 5th gen has, I get it, if I do not find it that interesting, then I can get the 4th gen.

Although I am sure that the 5th gen will be improved.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
I see so there will not be any problems like 2nd gen and 3rd, thanks for the information.

Although I am sure that the 5th gen will be improved.
There's no guarantee there won't be "problems" that happened during the 2nd and 3rd upgrade, but it's not very likely.

It's likely that there will be improvements, as they want for people upgrade from their former iPods, although there won't be nearly as many improvements to the new touch as there will be to the new iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.