PDA

View Full Version : Lion only sees 2.2tb on my external 3tb drive.

torana355
Aug 1, 2011, 05:19 AM
I have a stardom external enclosure that supports 3tb volumes but in lion disk utility only sees the drive as 2.2tb when formatted as GUID and Mac OS Extended (journaled) Any ideas?

seong
Aug 1, 2011, 06:27 AM
You don't have to format it to GUID, but it really don't matter in your case I suppose.
Maybe its one of the bugs where it miscalculates the drive? I saw another thread where the person's internal HDD read 2TB when the actual drive was 500GB. Try connecting it to other computer or OS and see what's going on.

arogge
Dec 2, 2011, 04:48 PM
I'm having the same problem today. Disk Utility refuses to recognize the 3 TB drive for what it is, instead showing it as 2.2 TB. The information I've found so far about this problem all seems very sketchy and many of the message threads just stop abruptly with no clear solution. Is there a solution to this problem? The hard drive enclosure is supposed to be certified to 3 TB drives.

torana355
Dec 5, 2011, 04:50 AM
I'm having the same problem today. Disk Utility refuses to recognize the 3 TB drive for what it is, instead showing it as 2.2 TB. The information I've found so far about this problem all seems very sketchy and many of the message threads just stop abruptly with no clear solution. Is there a solution to this problem? The hard drive enclosure is supposed to be certified to 3 TB drives.

I ended up fixing the issue. It was a firmware issue with the enclosure, i had the firmware updated now it works perfectly :)

arogge
Dec 5, 2011, 06:46 PM
It was a firmware issue with the enclosure, i had the firmware updated now it works perfectly :)

I found that the problem was a misconfiguration with my enclosure as well. Gee, a technical manual would have helped, instead of the dumbed down manual that was in the box.