PDA

View Full Version : Hating Lion

icapricorn
Aug 1, 2011, 09:10 AM
Can't pull images from browser to desktop anymore. So it's nonsense about third-party apps not catching up with Lion. The operating system itself has introduced unwanted elements into the Mac experience.

It takes my mail app, Thunderbird, a minute or so to "wake up" so I'm typing blind in a blank window before I see my three sentences show up, mistyped letters and all.

Everything runs S...L...O...W...E...R. It's like running an operating system on ancient hardware. I have an iMac from early 2008, with 4 gigs of RAM. That shouldn't feel feeble. But constant spinning beachballs make writing in Word or even the Mac's native TextEdit an annoying experience.

This is the worst mistake since Vista. Posters are right about not complaining, though. A complete wipe of the disk and a reinstall of Snow Leopard will fix this problem. I've been holding off on that, waiting for an update to give this sleepy, dopey Lion some pep. I thought a critical mass of complaints would build. But it seems the fanboys like it. They can keep it.

xUKHCx
Aug 1, 2011, 09:14 AM
Odd I have a 2006 iMac with only 3GB of ram and a 2007 Macbook again with 3GB of ram and have none of the slow downs you are experiencing.

If you are doing a complete wipe and reinstall I'd suggest installing Lion to see if those problems persist or have gone. I'd hazard a guess that they will be gone.

MonkeySee....
Aug 1, 2011, 09:19 AM
Cool story, Bro.

Seems you need to sort your Mac out because mine flys with Lion.

blackburn
Aug 1, 2011, 09:33 AM
Mine was slower too, even windows 7 is faster on my macbook than lion. I don't know why it is slow, snow leopard is very zippy.

AdeFowler
Aug 1, 2011, 09:36 AM
Mine's fine.

gentlefury
Aug 1, 2011, 09:42 AM
Hmmm, def sounds like there is something wrong with your system. I would try repairing permissions first (lion now has the disk utility installed on the recovery HD! Even easier than before!) and if that doesn't work do a time machine backup and reinstall clean.

I am having none of these issues....Lion is actually way faster than SL was on my Mac Pro and Mac Mini.

Also the dragging from browser to desktop works just fine. I just dragged the macrumors logo to my desktop no problem. If you are using a browser other than safari, I would go an ask them why it doesn't work..instead of blaming apple for everything.

tom5304
Aug 1, 2011, 10:13 AM
Hmmm, def sounds like there is something wrong with your system.

How can there be something wrong with his system (or mine), when Snow Leopard runs fine, and Lion runs like crap. That doesn't make any sense.

gentlefury
Aug 1, 2011, 10:15 AM
How can there be something wrong with his system (or mine), when Snow Leopard runs fine, and Lion runs like crap. That doesn't make any sense.

Well, to me it makes no sense that you are having problems since it works perfectly on my macs.....

tom5304
Aug 1, 2011, 10:18 AM
Well, to me it makes no sense that you are having problems since it works perfectly on my macs.....

Oh boy...

Daveoc64
Aug 1, 2011, 10:42 AM

Terrible logic.

sweetbrat
Aug 1, 2011, 10:48 AM
I'd suggest doing a clean install of Lion. I've seen several posts about problems like yours clearing up after that. If you're willing to go through the trouble to re-install Snow Leopard, why not give Lion a chance on a clean system?

MonkeySee....
Aug 1, 2011, 10:53 AM
Terrible logic.

Is it? OP hates lion for being slow blah blah. The guy you quoted and including myself, don't have any problems at all.

So could it be the mac or Lion? :confused: :rolleyes:

gentlefury
Aug 1, 2011, 12:32 PM
Terrible logic.

Lion runs like crap on mine and a handful of other users = Logic
Lion runs perfectly on mine and the majority of users = Terrible Logic

Ummm, how about you think about that before commenting.

DandsM
Aug 1, 2011, 12:57 PM
Can't pull images from browser to desktop anymore. So it's nonsense about third-party apps not catching up with Lion. The operating system itself has introduced unwanted elements into the Mac experience.

It takes my mail app, Thunderbird, a minute or so to "wake up" so I'm typing blind in a blank window before I see my three sentences show up, mistyped letters and all.

Everything runs S...L...O...W...E...R. It's like running an operating system on ancient hardware. I have an iMac from early 2008, with 4 gigs of RAM. That shouldn't feel feeble. But constant spinning beachballs make writing in Word or even the Mac's native TextEdit an annoying experience.

This is the worst mistake since Vista. Posters are right about not complaining, though. A complete wipe of the disk and a reinstall of Snow Leopard will fix this problem. I've been holding off on that, waiting for an update to give this sleepy, dopey Lion some pep. I thought a critical mass of complaints would build. But it seems the fanboys like it. They can keep it.

I bet you did not perform a clean install.:D

blackburn
Aug 1, 2011, 01:23 PM
I bet you did not perform a clean install.:D

I did a clean install and I suffer from the same problem, so now what?:D

Daveoc64
Aug 1, 2011, 03:52 PM
Lion runs like crap on mine and a handful of other users = Logic
Lion runs perfectly on mine and the majority of users = Terrible Logic

Ummm, how about you think about that before commenting.

It's more:

Lion works perfectly on MY machines, so Lion will work perfectly on every machine = Terrible Logic
Lion works perfectly on some machines, but does not run perfectly on others = Good Logic

e.g. let's say I have a problem with my MacBook's Intel Graphics - yet your Mac has NVIDIA graphics then it would be stupid for you to say that "it works fine for me".

tom5304
Aug 1, 2011, 03:56 PM
It's more:

Lion works perfectly on MY machines, so Lion will work perfectly on every machine = Terrible Logic
Lion works perfectly on some machines, but does not run perfectly on others = Good Logic

e.g. let's say I have a problem with my MacBook's Intel Graphics - yet your Mac has NVIDIA graphics then it would be stupid for you to say that "it works fine for me".

Dave, you need to quit while you're still behind. :p

scottsjack
Aug 1, 2011, 04:11 PM
No performance problems with a late 2008 MBP 2.4GHz and 8MB RAM. I upgraded from SL by the normal download route.

Gemütlichkeit
Aug 1, 2011, 04:37 PM
Cool, no problem here.

mrtravel123
Aug 1, 2011, 09:43 PM
I did a clean install of SL then upgraded to Lion. I have the same delay in typing. Basically, it takes a second or two for the computer to catch up to my typing. I really don't like this delay. It reminds me of those old digital cameras where you push the button and then it takes the picture about 1 - 2 seconds later. That was the way things were many, many years ago. Lion shouldn't be doing this today.

robgendreau
Aug 1, 2011, 10:21 PM
I don't know if the OP wants help, or it was just a rant (and I''d rant too if it happened to me), but the pix to desktop thing sounds important.

It could indicate a permission problem; like he can't put stuff in the desktop folder. He should check that; it could also result in other problems.

I don't think you necessarily need to do a clean install to fix that, but perhaps a reinstall or remigration of the user.

A look at Activity Monitor would also be helpful.

When Lion is that slow something is wrong.

Rob

iThinkergoiMac
Aug 1, 2011, 10:29 PM
Can't pull images from browser to desktop anymore.

Just tried it in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. Worked in all three, so something is wrong with your system or you're just not doing it right.

Other than that, all I have to report is that Lion is just as fast as SL on my system.

Icy1007
Aug 1, 2011, 10:29 PM
I can still drag images from browser to desktop just fine. Something is wrong with your Mac.

xraydoc
Aug 1, 2011, 11:18 PM
I have 5 Macs running Lion and haven't seen a single issue like is posted above.

I'm not denying that problems exist, but I suspect it's something to do with 3rd party software then a systemic problem with Lion itself.

It may be something Apple will need to address to improve compatibility with specific 3rd party software, but after upgrading 4 Macs to Lion (two upgrades on top of SL, two clean installs on new SSDs) and purchasing one brand new Mac which came with Lion pre-installed, I can't say I've had any of the above problems.

I tend to run fairly clean systems - few if any 3rd party extensions and such - so I cannot say where the problem lies, but my suggestion is to start again with a clean install and add your software back one by one until you can trace the source of the problem.

Jirv311
Aug 1, 2011, 11:31 PM

I've had fellow techs working with me say things like this to customers. They didn't last long. :D For the record, mine runs fine....that is to say when it runs fine.

daleski75
Aug 2, 2011, 02:44 AM
Also don't forget that Snow Leopard has had 8 updates in it's life cycle so far and will probably get a few more as well and Lion is well on .0

Apple will iron out the bugs and add new enhancements as they have done in the past.

Try running the latest beta of onyx and get it to go through it's maintenance/cleaning routine to see if that resolves anything.

For me apart from the appstore going dog slow it's as quick as anything on my 2011 i5 mba 13" and would I want to downgrade to Snow Leopard if I could? nah because there are a lot of things I would miss.

Be patient people I am sure 10.7.1 is just around the corner.

numbersyx
Aug 2, 2011, 02:50 AM
No doubt there are a few bugs in it but it's fine on both my Mac Pro and MBP. Love the features too... That Safari swipe is very satisfying...

ryanrich
Aug 2, 2011, 03:50 AM
I wouldn't say I "hate" Lion, but I could easily switch back to SL and not miss a thing. I don't think a single feature is particularly great, and to be honest I've disabled a crap load of "features" to make Lion more like SL was.

Overall I'm pretty bummed that I didn't wait longer before upgrading because I'm no sure I would've spent the $29 on this. Can only blame myself.