PDA

View Full Version : Lion is a big bag of Hurt.

JRoDDz
Aug 1, 2011, 09:20 AM
From reading all these threads on Macrumors.. one will never ever upgrade to Lion.

Lion is causing these issues and more:

slow bootup
slow shutdown
high cpu use while scrolling
video monitor crazyness
App Store slowness
Apps that crash
Wifi problems
Raid issues
decreased battery life
Battery failure
Laptop not charging

MacDawg
Aug 1, 2011, 09:23 AM
I have experienced none of these "hurts"
I am very happy with the upgrade

Prolly most people are

AdeFowler
Aug 1, 2011, 09:24 AM
I'm personally liking parts of Lion on my Mac Pro, and disliking other parts. I'm just not sure we need yet another thread about it.

blackburn
Aug 1, 2011, 09:24 AM
Slow response
Versions
Resume

Sodner
Aug 1, 2011, 09:26 AM
Lion is working wonderfully on a Mid 2011 iMac and a 2010 Air.

I think the doom and gloom you mention is not what MOST Lion users are experiancing.

secondhandloser
Aug 1, 2011, 09:26 AM
Seems to be running fine for me.

paulsalter
Aug 1, 2011, 09:27 AM
I only have 2 of them

high cpu when scrolling
app store slow (hardly ever use it so not an issue for me)

the only other bugs I have are the added new features

JRoDDz
Aug 1, 2011, 09:27 AM
I'm wondering if all these issues are due to upgrades and if they would be better off doing a clean install?

MacDawg
Aug 1, 2011, 09:29 AM
I'm wondering if all these issues are due to upgrades and if they would be better off doing a clean install?

Mine was a straight upgrade on an older 17" Santa Rosa
I've been very happy

paulsalter
Aug 1, 2011, 09:30 AM

I dont believe its doing an update that causing the problem, more that something is wrong with the SL installation so installing Lion over the top makes it worse (if that makes sense)

If updating was a cause of problems, why do Apple make this the default way to install Lion

blackburn
Aug 1, 2011, 09:30 AM

I've done a clean install and I've experienced many of those issues. I even cleared pram and the smc. 2 weeks with lion and I'm tired of it.

stridemat
Aug 1, 2011, 09:32 AM
Im loving Lion. No issue (and thats on an a SL upgrade). Only mior issue I have found is that AutoCad is not supported :( just having to wait until an update is released.

AdeFowler
Aug 1, 2011, 09:33 AM

Mine was a straight upgrade to the MP in my sig. Honestly, the most painless OS update I've ever done.

Typswif2fingers
Aug 1, 2011, 09:33 AM
app store slow

NOTE: The advice given previously in this post was introducing a major security problem as advised by the members of the forum. Hence it is removed.

gentlefury
Aug 1, 2011, 09:34 AM
From reading all these threads on Macrumors.. one will never ever upgrade to Lion.

Lion is causing these issues and more:

slow bootup
slow shutdown
high cpu use while scrolling
video monitor crazyness
App Store slowness
Apps that crash
Wifi problems
Raid issues
decreased battery life
Battery failure
Laptop not charging

For some reason there is a handful of people on this forum that feel the need to complain about everything. I, personally, have experienced none of these "issues"....I would say judge for yourself. My guess is 99% of the problems people are experiencing is because they have installed custom apis that are not compatible with Lion.

nick9191
Aug 1, 2011, 09:37 AM
I experienced none of these issues.

My computer seems faster and the battery seems to last longer.

Did do a fresh install though which may have helped.

This is a tech forum, people don't make a new thread to say "Just installed Lion, it works fine, kthnxbai".

paulsalter
Aug 1, 2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks to Eeptman on of the other threads:

http://stuhelm.com/post/8147710041/mac-app-store-slow-try-this

not sure what that does, but seems to have fixed it

xUKHCx
Aug 1, 2011, 09:38 AM

That looks like pretty dangerous advice. You are turning off a global security setting. Would most definitely not advise this and would strongly recommend you switching it back as a "slow" app store (that will likely be fixed by apple soon enough) is better than a security hole.

Typswif2fingers
Aug 1, 2011, 09:41 AM
That looks like pretty dangerous advice. You are turning off a global security setting. Would most definitely not advise this and would strongly recommend you switching it back as a "slow" app store (that will likely be fixed by apple soon enough) is better than a security hole.

Apologies, did not realise. It did seem to fix the beach ball... Thanks for the advice and warning.

ditzy
Aug 1, 2011, 09:43 AM

I actually wonder whether it is the other way around. I've read from a lot of clean installs that Lion has been painful. I suspect though I could be wrong that upgrading is the less painful option.

And to comment on the original post. Other than a few programs not working for me, which is to be expected within the first three months of a new operating system, Lion has so far been painless. Anything that I haven't liked I have been able to turn off really easily, while keeping all the things that I do like.

JRoDDz
Aug 1, 2011, 09:46 AM
I actually wonder whether it is the other way around. I've read from a lot of clean installs that Lion has been painful. I suspect though I could be wrong that upgrading is the less painful option.

And to comment on the original post. Other than a few programs not working for me, which is to be expected within the first three months of a new operating system, Lion has so far been painless. Anything that I haven't liked I have been able to turn off really easily, while keeping all the things that I do like.

I installed Lion on a spare Macbook that I have. It was a clean install and everything seemed to work fine. Other than some of the UI changes, I liked it for the most part. If you read these threads on here you would think Lion is the worst OS release since windows ME. :rolleyes:

ditzy
Aug 1, 2011, 10:02 AM
I installed Lion on a spare Macbook that I have. It was a clean install and everything seemed to work fine. Other than some of the UI changes, I liked it for the most part. If you read these threads on here you would think Lion is the worst OS release since windows ME. :rolleyes:

I'm now on my second OS update since buying a mac. I heard very similar complaints then too. The big major difference was that people complained that there wasn't enough difference between snow leopard and leopard, while complaining that there is too much different in Lion. Honestly I really like it, and when all my apps work which they will do soon, I'll like it even more.

tom5304
Aug 1, 2011, 10:08 AM
My Lion experience was a big bag of hurt. I say 'was,' because I'm back with Snow Leopard now.

My first Lion upgrade was done the Apple way, built on top of Snow Leopard. My aluminum iMac bogged down with delayed Finder responses, tons of spinning beachballs, and broken Wifi.

My second Lion upgrade was a clean install. The clean install got rid of the laggy Finder conditions and spinning beachballs, but the Wifi was still broken.

For some reason, Lion's Wifi constantly keeps "Looking For Networks," and simply loses connection about once every half-hour of regular browser use. I consistently got Wifi back by restarting Wifi or running Network Diagnostics, but the process was a pain.

Under Snow Leopard, Airport does not constantly search for new Networks, and my internet connection is rock solid and quick. Under Lion, my Wifi is simply broken. Even when connected via Ethernet, I was getting weird connection issues and slowdowns.

So yes, Lion is a big bag of hurt.

All these posts on this thread (and elsewhere) that say nothing more than: "I don't have these problems, so there's no problem," are inane and do nothing to clear up the mess that is Lion.

The point isn't that YOU, or YOU, don't have problems. The point is that a certain percentage of people are experiencing these problems. If 10% of Lion users are seeing Lion as a big bag of hurt (a completely arbitrary number, by the way), then Lion has a problem.

There is no excuse for Apple producing a broken OS. I shouldn't have to learn how to create a bootable disc of Lion and to do a clean install, and all that to have solved only part of the problem. The Lion that Apple charged me $29 for is broken.

At this point, after having used Windows 7 on the PCs of friends and family, I see absolutely no reason to pay the Apple premium for my next computer. The Apple advantage (It Just Works... Pay Extra For Quality... etc.) doesn't justify the expense any more.

I've been an Apple user since the Mac Plus, and who knows, I still may stay an Apple user for certain products. But after my experience with OSX Lion, my loyalty to Apple has vanished.

The part that sucks is that Apple will deny, deny, deny, and then when they come out with a fix, they'll call it a new feature.

NT1440
Aug 1, 2011, 10:13 AM
For people experiencing slowdowns, was this after spotlight had run its initial indexing? It takes a while and slows the computer, but once its done Lion is fast.

tom5304
Aug 1, 2011, 10:14 AM
For people experiencing slowdowns, was this after spotlight had run its initial indexing? It takes a while and slows the computer, but once its done Lion is fast.

Fast for you, but not for me and many others.

And yes, my laggy Lion experience was well after the indexing was completed.

blackburn
Aug 1, 2011, 10:16 AM
Fast for you, but not for me and many others.

And yes, my laggy Lion experience was well after the indexing was completed.

Yeap slow for me even after spotlight completed indexing. It is way slower than snow leopard for me.

bradl
Aug 1, 2011, 10:21 AM
Common link here..

Everyone who has been saying that Lion fails or has been having issues with it, seems to have been users who upgraded to Lion, or did a clean reinstall of Lion on their older hardware.

I have experienced absolutely NONE of these or any other issues on my mid-2011 MBA (13", i5, 256GB). It's running smooth for me with no issues whatsoever.

Perhaps it has something to do with the upgrade path, or the functionality of the new OS on the older hardware, but the common ground here is tha most seem to find this when they've upgraded.

Not saying, but I'm trying to say...

BL.

tom5304
Aug 1, 2011, 10:24 AM
Common link here..

Everyone who has been saying that Lion fails or has been having issues with it, seems to have been users who upgraded to Lion, or did a clean reinstall of Lion on their older hardware.

I have experienced absolutely NONE of these or any other issues on my mid-2011 MBA (13", i5, 256GB). It's running smooth for me with no issues whatsoever.

Perhaps it has something to do with the upgrade path, or the functionality of the new OS on the older hardware, but the common ground here is tha most seem to find this when they've upgraded.

Not saying, but trying to say...

BL.

Trying to say... that Lion only works on brand new machines?

flopticalcube
Aug 1, 2011, 10:26 AM
It was the same with previous releases. A significant percentage of users have moderate to severe issues with the initial release. By 10.x.2 most of these are corrected for most users. MS had the foresight to publicly beta test W 7 for six months so it released without many issues. I prefer the MS method personally and hope they do it again for 8.

polbit
Aug 1, 2011, 10:28 AM
Lion feels same/faster than SL to me, with none of the issues except slow shutdown.

I wonder how many people have installed Lion over Snow Leopard, which they installed over Leopard, which... You get the picture. You can't expect a big OS upgrade to work on every possible installation that includes mixtures of programs, utilities, etc., etc. When in doubt, do a clean install and reinstall only what you need.

denisvj
Aug 1, 2011, 10:31 AM
For some reason there is a handful of people on this forum that feel the need to complain about everything. I, personally, have experienced none of these "issues"....I would say judge for yourself. My guess is 99% of the problems people are experiencing is because they have installed custom apis that are not compatible with Lion.

I have mbpro and Imac with Lion installed and so far the only problem is the app store that is slower .

paulsalter
Aug 1, 2011, 10:31 AM
I wonder how many people have installed Lion over Snow Leopard, which they installed over Leopard, which... You get the picture. You can't expect a big OS upgrade to work on every possible installation that includes mixtures of programs, utilities, etc., etc. When in doubt, do a clean install and reinstall only what you need.

yup, I want from Tiger to Leopard to Snow Leopard to Lion

virtually no issues at all with any of them

When Apple stops providing the upgrade method and tell people a clean install is needed then I will start doing this

tom5304
Aug 1, 2011, 10:33 AM
Lion feels same/faster than SL to me, with none of the issues except slow shutdown.

Oh hell yes I can! :)

I absolutely do expect a big Apple OS upgrade to work on my three-year-old iMac.

I'm glad many people are having a pleasant experience with Lion, but my experience sucked, and now I'm back on Snow Leopard.

If Apple can't get something like this right, something so important as an OS upgrade, my faith in the company is over.

sweetbrat
Aug 1, 2011, 10:56 AM
You upgraded to a new OS version .0 and expected it to be perfect? No offense, but that doesn't happen. Ever. .0 releases will always have some problems. If you can't handle that, wait a while before you try to upgrade.

tom5304
Aug 1, 2011, 11:03 AM
You upgraded to a new OS version .0 and expected it to be perfect? No offense, but that doesn't happen. Ever. .0 releases will always have some problems. If you can't handle that, wait a while before you try to upgrade.

Do I expect perfect? No. But I do expect functional.

Functional I can handle, but functional I did not get for my $29.

Glad it's working for you, though. Really!

hexonxonx
Aug 1, 2011, 11:32 AM
I haven't had ANY problems on two Macs. Great OS so far.

paulsalter
Aug 1, 2011, 11:40 AM
Ever. .0 releases will always have some problems.

I do agree with you, but there seems to be many on here that say its perfect and have no issues at all with it

saxon48
Aug 1, 2011, 11:50 AM
Very solid release so far. Only thing that really needs a bit of ironing out is Safari's RAM issue, other than that I'm quite pleased.

SideStepSociety
Aug 1, 2011, 12:11 PM
Coming to a forum where people voice their complaints/problems and then basing an opinion on those issues is like going to a garbage dump and claiming the world is a falling apart.

gentlefury
Aug 1, 2011, 12:15 PM
Common link here..

Not saying, but I'm trying to say...

BL.

I have an early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 and it runs like a dream on it! Granted I upgraded my HDD to an SSD, the ram to 10GB and the graphics card to the ATI HD5870....that could be why!

V4705
Aug 1, 2011, 12:16 PM
I think apple have a lot of work on Lion, and even than, it's not explaining why after betas and RCs they release this buggy software to public.
After all the problems with iPhones and OSX, I don't see a big difference between all the bad stuff people say about MS and Apple (except for Apple customers pay way too much to admit that).
But I still have nice aluminum case, so yay.

gentlefury
Aug 1, 2011, 12:18 PM
yup, I want from Tiger to Leopard to Snow Leopard to Lion

virtually no issues at all with any of them

When Apple stops providing the upgrade method and tell people a clean install is needed then I will start doing this

I had Leopard and upgraded to Snow Leopard, then upgraded to Lion....no issues at all.

chillvisio
Aug 1, 2011, 01:07 PM
I've always wondered why do one need to upgrade something that works fine for himself. IMHO it is not a very wise decision to just throw some money for something you will later be angry at, so try first and then buy, but oops!, Apple do not offer try before buy versions for everybody.
In the same time I'm reading some comments here which really made me laugh with my a**: those that are condemning the critically minded people, which complain here, just like if they were some junkies who do not deserve to live. Sure they have the right to complain. It is in fact one of the BASIC rights of a customer who is not happy with his purchase. Oh, dudes, please descend from the clouds and realize that critical thinking is the main force to drive the progress :)
With Lion one could really feel the absence of Steve Jobs' in development decisions during the last year or two. So unhappy that this one of the biggest corporations around is just running out of innovative ideas.
Windblows 8 is going big ugly squares and Mac OS X Lion promises us that future versions will look even more childish — iOS-like. Ubuntu's latest UI changes look like a cheap Mac OS X interface ripoff. WTH is going on with the designers of both OSes? Is it the end of desktop coming around the corner :(

Macjames
Aug 1, 2011, 01:07 PM
Initially I installed Lion over Snow Leopard, that turned out to be a world of hurt. Super, super high temps and slow shutdown times. I wiped my SSD clean, installed Lion and have encountered zero problems.

Lord Appleseed
Aug 1, 2011, 01:17 PM
Only thing i noticed was slightly slow wifi on wake up.
No other issues here.

Lion is a big bag of Win

tigres
Aug 1, 2011, 01:27 PM
Mail still ****s

This IMAP server disconnects (along with another one we use ... NOT google BTW), and forces re-downloading as if it never existed in the first place.

the downloads and syncing (after disconnects) take about an hour or > to re-sync, and then to be lost again.

Mail resources use up from 8% cpu to 62% cpu at all times when on.
then, Safari takes eons to load different pages, and so on.

Fixes tried:
Deleted account and re-added fresh.
Repaired permissions (three times)
Rebooted
fresh install(s)

Web interface with IMAP server is issue free, as is the SL box that is hooked into them as well, works flawlessly.

VMware surprisingly works without issue as well.

Anyone got tips/fixes? SL works w/o issue.

stratokaster
Aug 1, 2011, 01:41 PM

Solving Apple's problem by introducing a major security hole with my own hands? No thanks.