PDA

View Full Version : little confused by the online recovery

sxiang1992
Aug 1, 2011, 11:05 AM
-I heard the newest Macbook Pro with Lion pre-installed doesn't have the function of online recovery. But the newest Air, mini and any other old model that upgraded to Lion from snow leopard have this function. Will the issue on the latest pro be solved by apple? I think they can just release a software update to correct it.

-For the online recovery, it seems that apple ID is required for validating your purchase of lion from app store before the online recovery and required again for re-downloading Ilife package after installation. But how about those current model with lion pre-installed? Apple ID won't be require for online recovery,right?

-My dad recently download the lion from app store. I'm going to burn the install file into a boot dvd. If I need use online recovery , can I just use my dad's apple id(He uses a HK macbook air 2009 and my macbook pro is US version) to pass the validation? I mean if your mac upgrade to lion through those method: boot dvd download through torrent or copied from friends' install file except direct install from app store , as long as you enter an apple ID that had purchased a lion from App Store, the online recovery will be working?

gentlefury
Aug 1, 2011, 12:25 PM
-I heard the newest Macbook Pro with Lion pre-installed doesn't have the function of online recovery. But the newest Air, mini and any other old model that upgraded to Lion from snow leopard have this function. Will the issue on the latest pro be solved by apple? I think they can just release a software update to correct it.

-For the online recovery, it seems that apple ID is required for validating your purchase of lion from app store before the online recovery and required again for re-downloading Ilife package after installation. But how about those current model with lion pre-installed? Apple ID won't be require for online recovery,right?

-My dad recently download the lion from app store. I'm going to burn the install file into a boot dvd. If I need use online recovery , can I just use my dad's apple id(He uses a HK macbook air 2009 and my macbook pro is US version) to pass the validation? I mean if your mac upgrade to lion through those method: boot dvd download through torrent or copied from friends' install file except direct install from app store , as long as you enter an apple ID that had purchased a lion from App Store, the online recovery will be working?

Lion installs the recovery utility when you install ion, regardless of how you got there...if you have lion you have recovery hd....therefore you can restore without a disk. Not sure how restore works if you bought a new comp and never bought it in the app store.