Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
UK
I've managed to do 9 cycles in 10 days on my MBA and after reading what some people claim they've done, I think I may have done loads in no time :eek:.

Is the number of cycles I've completed a lot or are some people just not using their MB's :confused:

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've managed to do 9 cycles in 10 days on my MBA and after reading what some people claim they've done, I think I may have done loads in no time :eek:.

Is the number of cycles I've completed a lot or are some people just not using their MB's :confused:
It's strictly a matter of how you use your Mac. Some work mostly at the desk, plugged into AC power. Some are always on the go, needing to run on battery. Using a cycle per day is not unusual at all. The best recommendation is run on battery when you need to and plug in whenever you can. Just don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be exercised to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think Lion might measure cycles more quickly now, too, if you partially discharge the battery. Previously, if you discharged 20% every day, it would take about 5 days to add a new cycle (20% * 5 = 100%). Now, I think it might add a new cycle to meter with less than an equivalent 100% drop. I let mine drain down about 5% each night the first few nights (during deep sleep) and then when it hit 80% remaining in one use (20% discharge), it triggered a new "cycle" in the count meter. It remained fully charged until the next day when I ran it off battery to about 10%, and it triggered the new cycle about when the battery hit 50%.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I think Lion might measure cycles more quickly now, too, if you partially discharge the battery.
It's still measuring cycles the same way. It's just that your battery indicator is not 100% accurate.

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
UK
I think Lion might measure cycles more quickly now, too, if you partially discharge the battery. Previously, if you discharged 20% every day, it would take about 5 days to add a new cycle (20% * 5 = 100%). Now, I think it might add a new cycle to meter with less than an equivalent 100% drop. I let mine drain down about 5% each night the first few nights (during deep sleep) and then when it hit 80% remaining in one use (20% discharge), it triggered a new "cycle" in the count meter. It remained fully charged until the next day when I ran it off battery to about 10%, and it triggered the new cycle about when the battery hit 50%.

I know its not good, but for the time I've had it, its been mainly plugged into the mains.
And I've rarely let it go below 70% on the 3-4 time i've taken it off the mains.

Does the battery still go through cycles when plugged in?

I just wish I could remove the battery like on many PC's and then keep it plugged in!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I have 9 cycles on mine so far, but I have been using it away from my desk.

According to Apple the battery is good for 1000 cycles. I really wouldn't worry about it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well I gave Apple Care a quick call and they told me a battery would go through a cycle when plugged in.
It won't go through a cycle while plugged in, unless you've already drained it and it's recharging. If you leave it plugged in all the time and never drain it, it will never go through a cycle. Read the definition of a cycle in the FAQ.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
It won't go through a cycle while plugged in, unless you've already drained it and it's recharging. If you leave it plugged in all the time and never drain it, it will never go through a cycle. Read the definition of a cycle in the FAQ.
Confirmed, thats correct information.

The screenshot below proves it since this unit is a month old but its in constant, daily use plugged in. I only use it for a few hours a day unplugged, at most.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-01 at 5.10.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-01 at 5.10.36 PM.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 68

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
UK

The screenshot below proves it since this unit is a month old but its in constant, daily use plugged in. I only use it for a few hours a day unplugged, at most.

Ok, Seems these Apple folks don't know much about their own products.

Got a new MBA now anyway so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice guys

VXC

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
I got my 2011 MBA 13 on release day and it says I have used 3 cycles. But when I charge it to full, it only shows 98%. It hasnt shown 100% in couple days. Is this normal?

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
I removed coconut battery from my macbook air after using it for 2 days.

I found myself stressing over how and where I was using my new macbook air, all for the sake of 'taking care of the battery'. In the end, I felt it was just not worth the extra stress.

Use your computer how you want it, when you want it, for what you want. Don't worry too much about the battery. That battery faq has good tips. Follow them, and enjoy your purchase.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I've been using by 2010 Ultimate MBA since Nov 2010.

I am at 232 cycles on the battery and 92% overall health.

meaty

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011

so is it better to use it plugged in when youre at home?

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
You don't. coconutBattery will show you the age of your Mac, but not your battery.

Unfortunately I think it needs an update. It says the new MacBook Airs are nearly 6 months old.

I've always thought it got the age from the battery, but they say serial number. Something is definitely off, I know these 2011 MacBook Airs where not built in January and February.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.