PDA

View Full Version : Using Airtunes on 2 separate Airport Expresses on same network?

uyehara
Aug 1, 2011, 01:03 PM
I just moved into a new house that has speakers wired into the ceilings of all the rooms. There are 6 inputs in the basement and each room can choose which input it wants to listen to.

I am hoping to connect 2 ( or maybe even more if possible) airport expresses up in the basement so that both myself and my roomate can simultaneously stream separate songs in different rooms through airtunes.

I know I can set this up if both airport expresses are separate wifi networks, but i want both computers to remain connected to the internet (and my modem only has one ethernet connection)

1. Can I have both airport expresses on the SAME wifi network but have 2 computers streaming separate music to each?

2. If not would I be able to connect a ethernet router to the modem and then connect both airport expresses to the first router and make each a separate wifi network?

Thanks in advance!

Intell
Aug 1, 2011, 01:06 PM
You can have many Airport Express on your network and you can stream different things from different computers at the same time to different Expresses.

The Expresses have a join mode in which they join a already established WiFi network as a device.

EvilC5
Aug 1, 2011, 08:00 PM
I have run a 2 AE configuration with no issues for audio. The express won't do video though.

uyehara
Aug 4, 2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the help! Have either of you tried airfoil? I'm curious if that will also work with multiple airport expresses at the same time.

Intell
Aug 5, 2011, 01:05 AM
Airfoil can output to multiple at once as well.

uyehara
Aug 8, 2011, 01:13 PM
Last question I promise (hopefully): Is there any way to get my xbox 360 to output audio to the airport express (whether through airfoil or airtunes or whatever)?