Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trogas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Okay so I foolishly updated to Lion without realizing PowerPC wouldn't be compatible (my mistake, didn't think about it). So now I've had to repurchase Photoshop/Illustrator and reinstall.

The Photoshop CS5 installer states that "The installer failed to initialize." I followed all the previous instructions and wiped my computer clean of anything Adobe (including Library and ~/Library) but I still get the error. When I look at the logs it says that the fatal error was that it was "Unable to create PIM object." The Google says nothing about this error.

After doing tons of research people suggested reinstalling Adobe AIR and Flash. Air installed no problem, but Flash refuses to install. It will begin the installation but get anywhere from 4-12% (varies every time) before failing. That log states "Error trying to locate volume at /" which again, Google says nothing about.

I'm running as an administrator and have checked all the permissions. I've also installed and verified the JRE is working properly.

Can anyone help?

TIA

trogas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Okay, I figured it out.

First, Flash - I repaired Disk Permissions and it installed after a reboot.

Photoshop - once I had installed Flash I attempted to install Photoshop again. It failed, but this time the log stated that it couldn't create the folder Applications in my User folder - for some reason, there was a UNIX executable named Applications in my User folder that wasn't allowing it to create that folder. I renamed the executable and voila - everything works.

Definitely not a fun experience, but all is well now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.