Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamieVB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
works fine on high settings shadows off, nice and playable. quite supprising.

one note, plug it in when you play this game, as i noticed when i got to 20% power and below it seemed to throttle the performance, quite significantly.

dont have frame rates, however it was more then playable.
allso tested SC2, medium shadows off very smooth.

just letting you all know as not many people seem to have reported on civ 5, this was the one downloaded from the mac app store, dont know if they tuned it more to lion, however im quite pleased.

morsidk

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks, really appreciate the update on CIV 5 and SC2 on the 2011 Macbook Air 11"
Have you tried the Steam version of CIV 5?

Souloni

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
The SC2 review may be a bit premature. You will definitely notice that after the first few levels the game will begin to chug. Yes, it's "smooth", but the caveat is that it is merely consistently under-performing.

Frame rates for the mission @ the lava planet (Harvest X amount of minerals while lava rises every 5 minutes or so):

Medium: 15 FPS
Low: 28-30 FPS

The biggest issue with this level involve the shaders (which would still amount to an issue w/ other levels). I would say it's impossible to play the game with shaders set to Medium.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
What's the frame rate like on lowest settings?

I'm going to load it in my 13" i5 here soon. I'm not big on graphics for games like this.. it's more about the gameplay.

If it at all helps lower the temp, i'm for it.

cucullin

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
What's the frame rate like on lowest settings?

I'm going to load it in my 13" i5 here soon. I'm not big on graphics for games like this.. it's more about the gameplay.

If it at all helps lower the temp, i'm for it.

Did it run well for you?

It worked perfectly fine on my core i7 11inch. However, the MBA got very hot and the fans were going full speed.

JR1993

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
works fine on high settings shadows off, nice and playable. quite supprising.

one note, plug it in when you play this game, as i noticed when i got to 20% power and below it seemed to throttle the performance, quite significantly.

dont have frame rates, however it was more then playable.
allso tested SC2, medium shadows off very smooth.

just letting you all know as not many people seem to have reported on civ 5, this was the one downloaded from the mac app store, dont know if they tuned it more to lion, however im quite pleased.

Ive heard that civ 5 is fine when you start to play it, but as the map opens up and there is more going on, it gets worse.

Could you possibly update in a day or two when the map opens up a bit more

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.