PDA

View Full Version : Install OS X Lion on new hdd.

Abercombie
Aug 1, 2011, 02:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hello,

Today I replaced the hard drive on my MacBook Pro (2008) 200GB 5600 RPM to a brand new one with 500GB and 7200 RPM.

Anyway, I don't know how to continue from this point. I have a DVD disc with Lion burned on it, the problem is that I didn't burn the InstallESD.dmg file directly on it, instaed I burned the whole "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" package, so now when I'm trying to boot up the MacBook Pro from the DVD disc (by pressing option key) I see nothing - no hard drives and no CDs.

What sholud I do now? Going to a friend house and trying burn the InstallESD.dmg file only, or trying other methods? (Maybe install Snow Leopard or something like that).

superericla
Aug 1, 2011, 02:48 PM
You could install Snow Leopard and upgrade from there to Lion.

RJCP
Aug 1, 2011, 02:56 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hello,

Today I replaced the hard drive on my MacBook Pro (2008) 200GB 5600 RPM to a brand new one with 500GB and 7200 RPM.

Anyway, I don't know how to continue from this point. I have a DVD disc with Lion burned on it, the problem is that I didn't burn the InstallESD.dmg file directly on it, instaed I burned the whole "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" package, so now when I'm trying to boot up the MacBook Pro from the DVD disc (by pressing option key) I see nothing - no hard drives and no CDs.

What sholud I do now? Going to a friend house and trying burn the InstallESD.dmg file only, or trying other methods? (Maybe install Snow Leopard or something like that).

Re-install your old hard drive if it is still operational and un-erased, burn the install DVD again but correctly and go for it!

Abercombie
Aug 1, 2011, 03:04 PM

Unfortunately, my old hard drive isn't operating any more. I have another MacBook Pro at home but it will be avilable to me only tomorrow and I can't wait!

By the way, if I will burn only the InstallESD.dmg file, the Lion installation should work on blank hdd?

Quad5Ny
Aug 1, 2011, 03:09 PM
Your going to need to go to your friends house and burn the Lion DMG to a DVD.

http://lifehacker.com/5823096

You CANNOT just copy the DMG over. It needs to be restored onto a DVD or USB Drive.

macintoshBR
Aug 10, 2011, 02:28 PM
I'm having the same problems.

I'll use this solution: Install Snow Leopard with the DVD, upgrade to Lion and then recover my Time Machine backup from an external HD. I think it'll work.