PDA

View Full Version : Recording Streaming Audio

CamSullivan
Aug 1, 2011, 05:17 PM
I have a job that requires me to record streaming audio (mostly radio interviews and the like) and am planning to make the switch from windows to mac in the next week.

After doing some research it's apparent that doing that on a mac is pretty difficult in comparison to a windows. I've found a couple different methods such as plugging in an audio cord from the headphone jack to the microphone jack or using soundflower and garage band. I much prefer a software method like the latter.

The problem is I can't actually listen to the audio while it's recording. That's a pretty major issue because it's hard to know when to stop recording when you can't actually hear what's happening. Any thoughts of a program (paid or not) that would work?

Worst case scenario I assume I'd be able to do it just fine with the app I use now running bootcamp?

Thanks! I've been following this forum for a long time but never actually made an account. I hope to be more active now.

HoldernessMedia
Aug 1, 2011, 06:21 PM
Depending on what exactly you're doing, you should be able to hear what you're recording with Soundflower with ease.

Also, for a paid option, check out Wiretap.
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/

More details on what you need to accomplish would help find a solution.

CamSullivan
Aug 1, 2011, 06:24 PM
I need a software solution to provide the ability to record any audio coming through my speakers while still being able to listen to it.

I've watched and read multiple guides with soundflower that don't allow me to listen to it as it's recording because the audio is no running through a special channel for soundflower to record.

I'm checking out wiretap. Thanks for the response.

Depending on what exactly you're doing, you should be able to hear what you're recording with Soundflower with ease.

Also, for a paid option, check out Wiretap.
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/

More details on what you need to accomplish would help find a solution.

lethalillness
Aug 1, 2011, 07:51 PM
I actually wrote up a guide that shows out to sample your sound card with soundflower. If I'm correct you hear it as it is playing since you hear it on it's Windows counterpart. If you want I'll PM you the tutorial.

CamSullivan
Aug 1, 2011, 07:54 PM
Please do.

I actually wrote up a guide that shows out to sample your sound card with soundflower. If I'm correct you hear it as it is playing since you hear it on it's Windows counterpart. If you want I'll PM you the tutorial.

Papanate
Aug 2, 2011, 07:12 PM
Why are you switching platforms right before a
serious job? Stay on PC till you've finished - then switch to the MAC
and study the possibilities.

Second If you are intent on Mac then Soundflower will do this exact thing you want within the computer. You could use any recording program you wanted.

CoriSCapnSkip
Aug 25, 2011, 11:23 PM

Sorry, I can't even figure out how to PM on here, let alone do what I want on the computer.

So far, I downloaded both Audacity and Soundflower and found, as have others, that you can't capture streaming audio directly to a Mac with Audacity.*

How do I select the sound coming from my Mac as the device from which to capture audio? Or do my speakers count as the device and do I have to leave them on while capturing audio? How do I identify, let alone select them? When I press the Input and Output buttons the only options are Soundflower (2ch) and Soundflower (16 ch). In other words, how do I tell where the sound is coming from and ending up?

I have no idea what file type this audio is. It's free audio on a website and it doesn't have a file type or a url to get directly to that audio. You have to go to the site, select what you want, and play it.

How do I select and capture what's playing? After it's played, how do I get it into iTunes? I went to Soundflower's forums and they said to read the FAQ which pretty much says to read the manual which I can't find. ANY instructions will be valued! THANKS!

* Tried following instructions here http://destefano.wordpress.com/2009/01/07/audio-in-osx/ and MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE got something. I saved what seemed to be one or two files, unfortunately don't know how to play them back to make sure I actually got anything. The more I read about Audacity and Soundflower the more hideously complicated and problematical they seem. It seems you have to set where you want the audio to play out, yet on the settings I can find only Soundflower (2 ch), Soundflower (16 ch), and "Built-in Audio"--no external speakers, which is what I have.

The instructions on Freecorder 4 say, "Install Parallels and Windows on your Mac if you'd like to run Windows software." Has anyone gone this way or tried WireTap Studio, Sound Studio, or AudioX?

Can anyone who has tried them give opinions on which is the easiest to use and gives best results? I know Audio Hijack Pro works great, it just seems to me with that I'd be paying for a LOT of capabilities I won't use, when I want to do ONE thing, record ONE audio stream at a time, and save it to iTunes. Surely there must be a way to do this on a Mac without all the complications of Audacity and Soundflower? Thanks.