PDA

View Full Version : iCloud Additional Storage Pricing: $20-$100 per Year

MacRumors
Aug 1, 2011, 06:02 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/01/icloud-additional-storage-pricing-20-100-per-year/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/prices.jpg

Alongside the iCloud.com launch, Apple has revealed the pricing for additional storage on the iCloud service.

- 5GB Free
- 10GB Additional, $20/year
- 20GB Additional, $40/year
- 50GB Additional, $100/year

Article Link: iCloud Additional Storage Pricing: $20-$100 per Year (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/01/icloud-additional-storage-pricing-20-100-per-year/)

appleguy123
Aug 1, 2011, 06:08 PM
I just hope that there will be some type of special where if you buy hardware you get more space for free. Like 'Buy an iPhone 5 and get 10gb for free.'

Also, can iTunes gift cards be used to buy space?

jmcrutch
Aug 1, 2011, 06:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What?

I thought it was $25 for some big number of gig's extra storage, making iCloud much cheaper than Amazon?

I'm confused.

yourstation
Aug 1, 2011, 06:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nice! Fair pricing. 50gb for me! Would like to see a bumper deal for larger size in good time though...

Tech Genius
Aug 1, 2011, 06:10 PM
iCloud for Lion shows it too. See attachment.

yourstation
Aug 1, 2011, 06:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What?

I thought it was $25 for some big number of gig's extra storage, making iCloud much cheaper than Amazon?

I'm confused.

Remember this excludes your 1000 most recent photos and excludes any iTunes purchased music, TV shows (and eventually movies when agreed with studios)

appleguy123
Aug 1, 2011, 06:12 PM

What?

I'm confused.

You're talking about iTunes Match, not icloud.

rootyb
Aug 1, 2011, 06:17 PM
Hmmm... If it's as versatile and integrated as Dropbox (not holding my breath), I might have to drop my Dropbox Pro account and go with iCloud.

sexualchocolate
Aug 1, 2011, 06:18 PM
I just hope that there will be some type of special where if you buy hardware you get more space for free. Like 'Buy an iPhone 5 and get 10gb for free.'

Also, can iTunes gift cards be used to buy space?

When you buy a new iPhone, iPad, or Mac, you implicitly pay for the 5GB. So Apple will not offer any more special deals to give you more for free.

appleguy123
Aug 1, 2011, 06:20 PM
When you buy a new iPhone, iPad, or Mac, you implicitly pay for the 5GB. So Apple will not offer any more special deals to give you more for free.

If you have 1 iDevice, 5gb is okay. Why shouldn't you get more space if you own 7 iDevices?

smileyborg
Aug 1, 2011, 06:21 PM
From Apple's iCloud webpage (http://www.apple.com/icloud/what-is.html):

When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of free storage. And thatís plenty of room, because of the way iCloud stores your content. Your purchased music, apps, and books, as well as your Photo Stream, donít count against your free storage. Since your mail, documents, Camera Roll, account information, settings, and other app data donít use as much space, youíll find that 5GB goes a long way.

Just to clear things up.

applesith
Aug 1, 2011, 06:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

What?

I'm confused.

Remember this excludes your 1000 most recent photos and excludes any iTunes purchased music, TV shows (and eventually movies when agreed with studios)

Too bad Amazon took a ton of my business from iTunes with their loss leader mp3s.

grantsdale
Aug 1, 2011, 06:27 PM

Right, but I have 3 iOS 5 compatible devices on my account. I'm sure others have more. Why shouldn't it be 5GB per compatible device?

appleguy123
Aug 1, 2011, 06:31 PM
Right, but I have 3 iOS 5 compatible devices on my account. I'm sure others have more. Why shouldn't it be 5GB per compatible device?

This is what I'm saying. I'm my family, we have 10 iOS devices on our account. Why should we pay more for the same amount of space. I'm not even asking for 50gb of free space. Just a few 'buy this and get some space for free' promotions would make me happy.

sexualchocolate
Aug 1, 2011, 06:35 PM

From my understanding, the major thing iCloud is supposed to do is to keep your devices synchronized. And if instead of having 2 devices, you now have 6, you will probably not need 3 times the amount of data. Sure, Apple could be nice and give people more if they are such loyal costumers, but they don't feel that there is a big need to be so forthcoming.

kyjaotkb
Aug 1, 2011, 06:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Interested to see how this will be implemented in Europe where there is no iTunes Match... Cause i'd really like to put my 60 GB of music on an Apple cloud. But not for 100 eur! I'll probably stick to Google Music beta... Which works like a charm across the pond although not officially available. If only there was some kind of ios integration...

Mr Kram
Aug 1, 2011, 06:40 PM

if all the devices are yours, you are sharing the data between them. why would you have different data on all 3 devices?

This is what I'm saying. I'm my family, we have 10 iOS devices on our account. Why should we pay more for the same amount of space. I'm not even asking for 50gb of free space. Just a few 'buy this and get some space for free' promotions would make me happy.

likewise, if everyone has their own iTunes account, then you should each get 5GB of data.

adamw
Aug 1, 2011, 06:41 PM
5GB should be OK for now for many people. Maybe they will raise it, once they hear back from customers :)

Compile 'em all
Aug 1, 2011, 06:43 PM
iCloud for Lion shows it too. See attachment.

You are breaking your NDA.

Mjmar
Aug 1, 2011, 06:44 PM
Can somebody explain what this storage would be used for? As I understand it the iCloud doesn't actually store media, it just keeps track of what iTunes media you own. Is that accurate? If so, why would anybody need more than 5gb. of storage for their calendar, contacts, and pages documents?

JReinn
Aug 1, 2011, 06:46 PM

Those promotions might (and I think they will) come in the future. But if every iDevice added 5GB to an iCloud account... Just imagine how much space that is. Apple wouldn't be able to handle that much data. 5GB's is fine for me, but on the other hand, I only have one MacBook Pro and one iPhone 4.

I guess what they can do is give a discount on more space per iDevice you own. So if you own 5 iDevices you would be able to get 50GB's of space cheaper than a person with 1 iDevice.

manu chao
Aug 1, 2011, 06:47 PM
And when you buy a Mac, you implicitly pay for OS X. But the OS X development costs for Apple don't go up when you buy a second Mac, thus this implicit OS X charge goes straight into Apple's profits.

JReinn
Aug 1, 2011, 06:50 PM
And when you buy a Mac, you implicitly pay for OS X. But the OS X development costs for Apple don't go up when you buy a second Mac, thus this implicit OS X charge goes straight into Apple's profits.

If you like :apple: products, don't you want the company to earn some money, so it can continue developing new products? :rolleyes:

Mr Kram
Aug 1, 2011, 06:56 PM
i think that we may be missing the point of all this. iCloud is not a backup service, and in fact it is very similar to the previous mobile me which they charged for. now it's free and people are complaining? i don't get it. 5GB is a good amount of storage for keeping those documents that you need on the fly.

itsalexaye
Aug 1, 2011, 07:01 PM
i dont think i'l use more then 5GB at this point. unless I do a lot of iWork stuff. but i put most of that on dropbox.

mgipe
Aug 1, 2011, 07:02 PM
Will this be a functional replacement for iDisk? Will we be able to upload and download arbitrary files?

Epic Xbox Revie
Aug 1, 2011, 07:07 PM
i think that we may be missing the point of all this. iCloud is not a backup service, and in fact it is very similar to the previous mobile me which they charged for. now it's free and people are complaining? i don't get it. 5GB is a good amount of storage for keeping those documents that you need on the fly.

Documents don't even count towards the 5GB!!!:rolleyes::eek::apple:

wilheldp
Aug 1, 2011, 07:08 PM
Every 5 GB over the first 5 GB costs $10. I don't necessarily think that is a bad deal, but it seems like there would be some sort of discount for buying in volume. For instance, if you spring for the extra 50 GB, it only costs $8 per 5 GB.

Either that, or just sell extra space as needed. Once you use up your 5 free GB, it asks you if you want to expand, then every additional 5 GB you fill, it charges you $10.

Oh well, I didn't really expect to use iCloud anyway. I'm not really complaining, just presenting options.

lunarworks
Aug 1, 2011, 07:19 PM
When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of free storage. And thatís plenty of room, because of the way iCloud stores your content. Your purchased music, apps, and books, as well as your Photo Stream, donít count against your free storage. Since your mail, documents, Camera Roll, account information, settings, and other app data donít use as much space, youíll find that 5GB goes a long way.
LOL.

They obviously don't know me.

KamuiVII
Aug 1, 2011, 07:19 PM
Awesome!! I think the 20GB is more than enough for most single or double users. But the higher packages would be for families.

philip.ayers
Aug 1, 2011, 07:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

To call this storage.. Your iTunes library? is a stretch. Photos i doubt its unlimited. Apple will store what amounts to an xtml file of music but Not "your" music. They are now charging more for storage than for mobile me the way I read it

FroMann
Aug 1, 2011, 07:28 PM
I'll take 5GB of free storage.

grantsdale
Aug 1, 2011, 07:38 PM
if all the devices are yours, you are sharing the data between them. why would you have different data on all 3 devices?

If I want to backup to iCloud, it doesn't 'share' the space. In fact, I have to turn most things off of the backup on my iPad if I want to backup to iCloud without it hitting the limit. My iPhone 4 takes about 4 gigs, the iPad wants 1.3.

The backup to iCloud option in settings tells me it's a backup service.

macduke
Aug 1, 2011, 07:56 PM
I have an iPhone 4 32GB on iOS 5 beta 4. I can tell you all for a fact that 5GB isn't enough to back up all my data. Every morning when I wake up it says "Not enough storage. This iPhone cannot be backed up because there is not enough iCloud storage available (Close) (Settings)" so iCloud Free is essentially worthless if you actually want to backup your stuff. Forget the fact that I have an iPad 2 that can't use any of my iCloud at all because my iPhone overflows the free amount. You should at the very least get 5GB per device that you own. Making an iCloud account for each iOS device I own seems very un-Apple like as nothing would be in sync, defeating the purpose. Only separate iCloud account that makes sense is my wife's. Can we link iCloud accounts so we can share my larger paid storage?

I predict this iCloud thing is going to be confusing and upset a lot of people. Especially since everyone's iTunes account will be separate, unless they didn't ever buy a thing until they got a .Mac or MM account which is automatically an Apple ID and will be converted into iCloud. That or you'd have to rebuy everything you've ever purchased with Apple to keep them all on a single account. Again, very un-Apple like. Using AppShopper to get everything on sale, I probably have the equivalent of over $1000 spent on the App Store. I'm never going to rebuy that stuff! Not to mention music or shows.

If only I had a single, simple unified account to use on all my Apple devices. My iPhone 4 was $300, our iPad 2 was $600, my wife's iPod Touch was $230, and my Macbook Pro was $2500. Apple, make it happen! They should just work together with one account. I've paid enough! It should be easy for us.

itsalexaye
Aug 1, 2011, 08:00 PM
I have an iPhone 4 32GB on iOS 5 beta 4. I can tell you all for a fact that 5GB isn't enough to back up all my data. Every morning when I wake up it says "Not enough storage.

How much do you have on your phone now? is it almost full?

admanimal
Aug 1, 2011, 08:22 PM
Can somebody explain what this storage would be used for? As I understand it the iCloud doesn't actually store media, it just keeps track of what iTunes media you own. Is that accurate? If so, why would anybody need more than 5gb. of storage for their calendar, contacts, and pages documents?

Apps themselves don't count against your limit, but any documents or other data created by the apps and stored in the cloud DO count. In fact there are two ways that a given app can create data that will count against your 5GB limit:

1. You create documents that are stored in the cloud and shared with other devices.
2. You allow the app's data to be backed up to the cloud as part of your device's backup.

Note that these two things ARE different. Any app can take advantage of #2, whether or not it explicitly has any iCloud support, but #1 is a feature that must be built into the app by the developer.

To call this storage.. Your iTunes library? is a stretch. Photos i doubt its unlimited. Apple will store what amounts to an xtml file of music but Not "your" music. They are now charging more for storage than for mobile me the way I read it

Apple has been very clear about what is or isn't actually stored in your iCloud space, and what counts against your limit. This service is superior to MobileMe and it's free.

itsalexaye
Aug 1, 2011, 08:28 PM
i agree iCloud is better then MobileMe

iRobby
Aug 1, 2011, 08:39 PM
BILLBOARD BIZ:

Apple's iCloud Launches In Beta, New Pricing and App Info Revealed

August 01, 2011
By Antony Bruno, Denver

Late Monday afternoon, Apple flipped the switch on its iCloud.com domain name, revealing a few key bits of information that was previously unknown.

For starters, the pricing is fully listed for the first time. Under the iCloud storage locker plan, the first 5 GB will be free, after which upgrades can be bought -- 10 more GB ($20 per year), 20 more GB ($40 per year), and 50 more GB ($100 per year).

As originally outlined in the iCloud announcement earlier this summer, those storage tiers don't apply to any content purchased within iTunes. All that content is added to the iCloud for free.

Another tidbit confirmed is the fact that there will be iCloud-specific apps. According to the site, there will be new Web apps for email, calendar contacts and other functions.

The site is meant for iOS and MAC Developer Program members, so they can start updating their apps (or create new ones) with iCloud-ready features, primarily for synching content between the cloud and multiple Apple-made devices. However, Apple put the site live with no corresponding release, or even mention on its developer website. Apple enthusiast blog 9to5mac.com first noticed the addition.

The full functionally of the iCloud service won't be available until later this year when iOS 5 is available to all Apple devices.

Icaras
Aug 1, 2011, 08:46 PM
Pretty simple if you ask me. I think the number of devices you own will be irrelevant. I think it will just be 5GB per Apple ID, period.

jmcrutch
Aug 1, 2011, 08:47 PM

Can someone explain how this works along with ITunes match? Will the $25 fee make it so my non-iTunes music will then appear as if it was purchased thru iTunes and therefore not count against my 5gb limit?

admanimal
Aug 1, 2011, 08:49 PM
Can someone explain how this works along with ITunes match? Will the $25 fee make it so my non-iTunes music will then appear as if it was purchased thru iTunes and therefore not count against my 5gb limit?

The only music that will count against your 5GB limit are songs that iTunes Match is unable to match and therefore must upload to your iCloud space.

admanimal
Aug 1, 2011, 08:51 PM
I predict this iCloud thing is going to be confusing and upset a lot of people.

In what way would this be different than anything else Apple does?

EDIT: Whoops, sorry for the double post.

Biscuit411
Aug 1, 2011, 09:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, I'm kind of confused. I used tonuse MobileMe (and still do), with iDisk as a backup for home files/movies. Can I do this with iCloud? I don't need or want it all synced between my families iDevices. Do i have to create a new Apple id? Also, do you have to have Lion? I have a three-month old mini that will be Snow Leopard for quite some time. Sorry for the ignorance?

DoctorWho
Aug 1, 2011, 10:27 PM

Could you not just set up an iCloud account for each individual user? That way you'd all get 5GB of space.

Tech Genius
Aug 1, 2011, 10:30 PM
From Apple's iCloud webpage (http://www.apple.com/icloud/what-is.html):

Just to clear things up.

Backups take up a whole bunch. Like 1 of my iPhone takes up 198mb each backup and my email is like 10mb. People should have like 10Gb for 32GB iDevices 5GB for 16GB iDevices and 15GB for 64GB iDevices

appleguy123
Aug 1, 2011, 10:47 PM
Could you not just set up an iCloud account for each individual user? That way you'd all get 5GB of space.

We'd then have to rebuy all the individual apps, right?

admanimal
Aug 1, 2011, 11:27 PM
We'd then have to rebuy all the individual apps, right?

As it exists now, your iCloud account and your store account are two different things (although they both can be your Apple ID). So if everyone's devices use the same store account but different iCloud accounts, they can all have the same apps and music. The down side is that you can't share or sync data across the different iCloud accounts (at least not yet).

appleguy123
Aug 1, 2011, 11:48 PM
As it exists now, your iCloud account and your store account are two different things (although they both can be your Apple ID). So if everyone's devices use the same store account but different iCloud accounts, they can all have the same apps and music. The down side is that you can't share or sync data across the different iCloud accounts (at least not yet).

I didn't know that. So iCloud addresses and Apple ID's are not the same thing?

Mr Kram
Aug 2, 2011, 12:09 AM
If I want to backup to iCloud, it doesn't 'share' the space. In fact, I have to turn most things off of the backup on my iPad if I want to backup to iCloud without it hitting the limit. My iPhone 4 takes about 4 gigs, the iPad wants 1.3.

The backup to iCloud option in settings tells me it's a backup service.

so all the data on your iPhone is completely different from all the data on your iPad? i have 4 iOS devices. i would say that 90% of all the data on each device is redundant. get it?

yes, iCloud can be used as a backup service, but that's not the primary feature. if you use any other backup service, you realize you have to pay for it right? mozy and carbonate are about $60 per year. and this is for you desktop or laptop, not your mobile device. even dropbox charges $10 per month for if you use more than 2GB.

samcraig
Aug 2, 2011, 06:54 AM
No interest.

Those that have built their iTunes library in the last few years by buying music from Apple will benefit by not having their music count "against" them (storage). But for people like myself who have been buying music from when CDs (and LPs for that matter) are the the bulk of our collection there's little benefit other than syncing photos, etc.

I had about 1000 cds which I ripped and now have on a 2TB (along with my entire DVD collection - not blu-ray). I'm using about 1.5 tb (plus I have two backup drives just in case).

From that - I would guess that MAYBE 500 megs at MOST is from music purchased through iTunes. And that's being incredibly generous.

grantsdale
Aug 2, 2011, 07:06 AM
so all the data on your iPhone is completely different from all the data on your iPad? i have 4 iOS devices. i would say that 90% of all the data on each device is redundant. get it?

yes, iCloud can be used as a backup service, but that's not the primary feature. if you use any other backup service, you realize you have to pay for it right? mozy and carbonate are about $60 per year. and this is for you desktop or laptop, not your mobile device. even dropbox charges $10 per month for if you use more than 2GB.

It doesn't matter if the data is the same or different if you're using it to do backups.

The point is - I can register all these devices on new accounts and get 5GB each. If I register them on the same account, I should get that same 5GB each. Why is there a penalty if you're purchasing multiple devices? I would think you would get rewarded. You actually get less than a new customer.

jayducharme
Aug 2, 2011, 07:21 AM

iCloud is not a backup service

I think that's a big part of the confusion. The way Apple is promoting it, iCloud sounds like a place to store everything on your iDevices -- just like a backup service. But these days, 5 gb is a laughably small amount, considering that even the most basic mobile devices usually start with 8 gb. My desktop holds 3 tb of data. And yes, I know Apple doesn't count purchased media -- but what about media I create myself? I'd love to be able to store that as well. But even the 50 gb plan wouldn't be nearly enough for that.

I think this iCloud is taking its first baby steps to that always-connected-and-always-synced world that Steve Jobs dreams about. But either there will have to be much better data compression going forward or much more storage available to realize that dream.

ConErck
Aug 2, 2011, 08:13 AM
Unfortunatly, that is far from competitive pricing.

Apple 2$ / GB / year
Amazon $1 / GB / year
Google 0.25$ / GB / year

I am disappoint.

rmhop81
Aug 2, 2011, 08:26 AM
Those promotions might (and I think they will) come in the future. But if every iDevice added 5GB to an iCloud account... Just imagine how much space that is. Apple wouldn't be able to handle that much data. 5GB's is fine for me, but on the other hand, I only have one MacBook Pro and one iPhone 4.

I guess what they can do is give a discount on more space per iDevice you own. So if you own 5 iDevices you would be able to get 50GB's of space cheaper than a person with 1 iDevice.

it's built into the iCloud overall structure. If you register 1 device with a different email address you will get the 5gb. If you use the same 1 account it does not benefit you at all.

rmhop81
Aug 2, 2011, 08:27 AM

Apple 2$ / GB / year
Amazon $1 / GB / year
Google 0.25$ / GB / year

I am disappoint.

this is apple.....what do you do when you look at the price of hardware? of course they are going to cost more!

itsalexaye
Aug 2, 2011, 08:32 AM
but the thing that Apple does that Amazon and Google do not, is that your music and apps are in the cloud but do not count against your storage

Mr Kram
Aug 2, 2011, 08:33 AM
It doesn't matter if the data is the same or different if you're using it to do backups.

The point is - I can register all these devices on new accounts and get 5GB each. If I register them on the same account, I should get that same 5GB each. Why is there a penalty if you're purchasing multiple devices? I would think you would get rewarded. You actually get less than a new customer.

uh, it does matter. you back up 5GB of data and it's available on all devices. unless you have different data on each device, you don't need separate backups.

[SIZE=1]
I think that's a big part of the confusion. The way Apple is promoting it, iCloud sounds like a place to store everything on your iDevices -- just like a backup service. But these days, 5 gb is a laughably small amount, considering that even the most basic mobile devices usually start with 8 gb. My desktop holds 3 tb of data. And yes, I know Apple doesn't count purchased media -- but what about media I create myself? I'd love to be able to store that as well. But even the 50 gb plan wouldn't be nearly enough for that.

I think this iCloud is taking its first baby steps to that always-connected-and-always-synced world that Steve Jobs dreams about. But either there will have to be much better data compression going forward or much more storage available to realize that dream.

who cares how they promote it? you are correct that apple is not a leader in cloud storage (yet), but they are slowly making strides. let's not forget that mobile me was not a free service a year ago. this is what baffles me about the complainers mostly.

Apple 2$ / GB / year
Amazon $1 / GB / year
Google 0.25$ / GB / year

I am disappoint.

let's compare apples to apples. do google and amazon sync all your data and push changes back down to all your devices? is there a media player that let's you stream audio or video from the cloud? i don't the answers, just asking.

grantsdale
Aug 2, 2011, 08:44 AM
uh, it does matter. you back up 5GB of data and it's available on all devices. unless you have different data on each device, you don't need separate backups.

You're confusing iCloud sync with actual backup to iCloud. They are different. I can sync without a problem, and yes, that keeps my settings and data the same between the devices. Actually using iCloud backup does it differently, as it backs up the data pretty much the same way it would if you were doing a backup to your Mac/PC. I don't want to backup my iPhone restore to my iPad. For one, it doesn't have the same information (texts, old photos, etc) Two, all the incompatible iPad apps are worthless on my iPhone, and there are tons of apps on my phone that aren't on my iPad because they don't really work well on the iPad.

TLDR: Sync != Backup

deconstruct60
Aug 2, 2011, 08:57 AM
But for people like myself who have been buying music from when CDs (and LPs for that matter) are the the bulk of our collection

Apple's iTunes Match should reclassify your collection as "from Apple" if those are identifiable CDs transfers. Not sure if that is permanent or you need to continue to pay for the escalated classification permanently for the $25/yr service. Even is locked into the $25/yr then

$40 (20GB / yr) + $25 ( Match escalation ) = $65 / yr

for 2TB of stuff that isn't bad. The 20GB for whatever doesn't match.
However, if don't get matches that is bad. Also not sure keeping the encodings equivalent in ( iTunes plus ) format.

autrefois
Aug 2, 2011, 09:08 AM
Will this be a functional replacement for iDisk? Will we be able to upload and download arbitrary files?

Based on the brief walk-through video in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1203908), it doesn't look like there will be any way to access documents other than iWork ones, at least through the web interface. In the video they click on "iWork" and it specifically breaks it down into Pages, Keynote, and Numbers.

I don't have access to the beta, but based on the information out there and lack of mention of other file storage, it's not looking likely that there will be iDisk-esque storage unless you were somehow allowed to include .doc, .xls, .pdf or other document types in among iWork saved files, or there's a way to "trick" iCloud by finding the path where these documents are stored and then placing other files in there to sync (which if possible I'm sure wouldn't be supported and would be at your own risk).

I don't understand why they can't offer iDisk as an option to power users. They're offering the extra space for extra money; why not give people who are willing to pay for it a way to use it for "other" document storage or webpages as had been the case with MobileMe?

piyusharyan
Aug 2, 2011, 09:35 AM
I have an iPhone 4 32GB on iOS 5 beta 4. I can tell you all for a fact that 5GB isn't enough to back up all my data. Every morning when I wake up it says "Not enough storage. This iPhone cannot be backed up because there is not enough iCloud storage available (Close) (Settings)" so iCloud Free is essentially worthless if you actually want to backup your stuff. Forget the fact that I have an iPad 2 that can't use any of my iCloud at all because my iPhone overflows the free amount. You should at the very least get 5GB per device that you own. Making an iCloud account for each iOS device I own seems very un-Apple like as nothing would be in sync, defeating the purpose. Only separate iCloud account that makes sense is my wife's. Can we link iCloud accounts so we can share my larger paid storage?

I predict this iCloud thing is going to be confusing and upset a lot of people. Especially since everyone's iTunes account will be separate, unless they didn't ever buy a thing until they got a .Mac or MM account which is automatically an Apple ID and will be converted into iCloud. That or you'd have to rebuy everything you've ever purchased with Apple to keep them all on a single account. Again, very un-Apple like. Using AppShopper to get everything on sale, I probably have the equivalent of over $1000 spent on the App Store. I'm never going to rebuy that stuff! Not to mention music or shows.

If only I had a single, simple unified account to use on all my Apple devices. My iPhone 4 was $300, our iPad 2 was $600, my wife's iPod Touch was $230, and my Macbook Pro was $2500. Apple, make it happen! They should just work together with one account. I've paid enough! It should be easy for us.

There are lot of applications that you might not want to backup.. Like I have this game fragger.. it has 246mb of data (no clue why).. but I don't need its backup.. nor do I need backup of all my book apps like Al Gore's Our Choice.. it takes some 1-1.5GB space.. After turning off backup of unnecessary apps.. i can easily backup my 32gb iPhone 4 and 64GB iPad.. try it..

And u don't have to buy everything again.. my Apple ID (i have IDs of two countries), MobileMe id (it hasnt been migrated yet) and iCloud id are all different.. and i didnt have to buy anything again.. it still works..

milo
Aug 2, 2011, 09:53 AM

Plus if you pay the $25 for iTunes match, it's another twenty five thousand matched songs that don't count against the space. That could be over 100 gigs easy.

A N G E L
Aug 4, 2011, 01:36 AM
LOL.

They obviously don't know me.

Check this out:
http://outphase.com/uldata/photostream1apple.png
http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html

That, in addition to:Your purchased music, apps, and books, as well as your Photo Stream, donít count against your free storage. Since your mail, documents, Camera Roll, account information, settings, and other app data donít use as much space, youíll find that 5GB goes a long way.

It's like having 1,000 photos of free, unused space in the cloud. Although, it only lasts for 30 days before they get deleted.

I take it as Apple's way of saying, "Here, have 1,000 free photos of storage on us for a while, but just make sure you save everything to your laptop, otherwise it gets deleted, or if you save it to your phone, it'll take up part of your free 5gb."

Essentially: If ya don't want to have to pay for extra for more GBs, you're gonna have to compromise on keeping all those pictures and videos on your iPhone, and rather, keep them stored on your Mac/PC and switch them out when you want to via manual sync.

It's still pretty sweet that they're letting us do that. It's a good head's up. :)

ConErck
Aug 4, 2011, 03:42 AM
let's compare apples to apples. do google and amazon sync all your data and push changes back down to all your devices? is there a media player that let's you stream audio or video from the cloud? i don't the answers, just asking.

For Mail and Contacts: Yes. Google offers Exchange Push service for Gmail.
For Photos: No-ish. At least not in a "It just works" matter. Android phones can be setup to instantly upload all your photos to Picasa/Google+ in the background. But there is no Push sync to other devices. Although the open Picasa API certainly allows for clients on all devices to sync with the webfolder.
For Docs: No-ish. Although there is an open API as well, that would allow syncing.
Music: Amazon has a cloud player app. Google Music is in closed Beta right now, but will allow that as well.

I'm not saying iCloud is inferior to Google or Amazon's offer in every way. I'm sure the usability and "just works / magic" will be great for iCloud. But the pricing (and probably interoperability/openess) is not competitive. It all depends on what you are looking for in a cloud storage service. I know that I'll want to store more than just my photos and music in the cloud, and therefore additional storage is an important factor for me.

Plus: Steve Jobs did the pricing comparison himself for the WWDC Keynote
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/06/stevejobswwdc2011liveblogkeynote1102.jpg

KiwiGoneDutch
Dec 16, 2011, 08:17 PM
I wonder if you could change the backup service to a private-server, then you could backup as much as you want.

Fylet.com
Sep 16, 2012, 01:24 AM
I wonder if you could change the backup service to a private-server, then you could backup as much as you want.

Fylet.com is the answer. Intelligent sync of photos and videos from your smart phone directly to your computer, wherever you are. You'll never run out of smartphone memory for your photos & videos again.
Follow us on Twiter @Fylet_com (https://twitter.com/Fylet_com)