Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I bought an 11" Macbook Air as my primary computer (connected to a display). I was debating whether to get the 11 or 13 and I finally decided on getting the 11" when I saw it in store based on how portable it was.

I also have an iPad 2. I bought the iPad as my 'grab-and-go' computer, the computer I'll take anywhere.

Now I feel like I have two grab and go computers, and although they serve two seperate purposes, I can't help but feeling one of the devices is redundant.

I can't imagine selling my iPad as I love it for reading and browsing, yet I obviously also need a computer to be my main machine.

Maybe a 13" MBA would complement an iPad better, even though it is slightly less portable and less 'grab and go'. So now I'm thinking of exchanging the 11" for a 13". Even though the 11" is appealing, the 13" is more practical and I have the iPad to be that machine that goes everywhere, and it has built in 3G.

Which MBA have you guys that have iPads bought? Any similar dilemmas to mine?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I have an 11 for a road machine. When I need to really write and create, I use the MBA. When I want to stretch out and read and post here, the iPad works. I don't see the two conflicting at all.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I sold my iPad 2 today to get an MBA! I haven't decided which size yet, but I'm starting to lean toward the 11in :D

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I'd love to see them create am 11" or 13" MBA with a screen that could rotate into an IPad of sorts. They are both good at different things, but there is no way I'm carrying both, so in the meantime I'm sticking with the more capable Air.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Since MacBook Airs lack touch screens and don't run iOS apps, they still target separate audiences. That said, one reason I haven't had the urge to get an iPad so far is that the 11" Air is just as good at playing iTunes media content, and nearly as portable, while being far more capable at content creation.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
If I could really only afford one I'd get the 11" for sure.

Is it redundant? Well, is about 20 gadgets redundant? :D

You lose sight of redundancy I think at about 5 or 6 :)

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
" 11" makes iPad feel redundant?"

No, definitely not! They are complementary to each other. They are for different purposes although the kinds of their uses may overlap. An iPad is good for immediately access while an Air is good for light through some heavy computing.

Although everything that can be done with an iPad can be done with an Air, it is preferable to use an iPad instead of an Air in many circumstances, for example browsing the web and checking emails on the coach, etc.

Another point in favor of iPad is that using an iPad for what it can do saves energy! Thus, if possible, please use an iPad instead of an Air or any other more power consuming computing devices.

In summary, if the budget allows, we should get an iPad for light computing in consideration of its convenience of use and saving energy.

sprockett

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
I plan on selling my iPad 2 for my 13"!

I've been through 4 phases:

Phase 1
-Desktop user

Phase 2
-Replace desktop with clunky laptop (2-3kg) + external monitor
[Thought it was the greatest, coz i could take my entire work PC along with me everywhere IF the need arose]

Phase 3
-Added Ipad
[Thought it was the greatest, coz I discovered the feeling of being able to do casual surfing anytime / anywhere at home using a truly portable device with good screen size. However, main work was still done on Laptop + Monitor]

Phase 4
-Got MBA 13
[Don't use IPAD nor Monitor + Laptop anymore. I now can do anything from anywhere]

So i guess my MBP 17 and Ipad 1 Gen have to go!

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
Here's why the iPad is not redundant for me. However, it isn't necessary, so I'm waiting on the iPad 3 or possibly even later:

Macbook Air 11-inch: On-the-go computer for school & etc.

Custom-Built PC: Larger screen at home, more computing power, prefer Windows 7 for quite a few things (but a larger screen & more powerful iMac would also get the same stuff done basically).

iPad: On-the-go media device. Videos, basic games, and basic on-the-go stuff.

I definitely don't need a tablet, but it would serve a different purpose than my Air 11-inch. Just as a simple example, I was crammed in a car for 6 hours today, and I couldn't pull my Air out... too little room. I couldn't get work done, nor could I enjoy any games or media. I mean, I could've whipped it out for a movie but it just was too crowded for any laptop. An iPad is a single screen on a single plane, rather than folded like a laptop... it's just different.

I see purposes for each item.

To say an 11-inch Air replaces the iPad and not the 13-inch, then it is the screen size which is the issue for you. Which is entirely fine. But for me, it's not the screen size which is an issue, so the iPad still serves its purposes no differently whether I owned an Air or not.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I bought an 11" Macbook Air as my primary computer (connected to a display). I was debating whether to get the 11 or 13 and I finally decided on getting the 11" when I saw it in store based on how portable it was.

I also have an iPad 2. I bought the iPad as my 'grab-and-go' computer, the computer I'll take anywhere.

Now I feel like I have two grab and go computers, and although they serve two seperate purposes, I can't help but feeling one of the devices is redundant.

I can't imagine selling my iPad as I love it for reading and browsing, yet I obviously also need a computer to be my main machine.

Maybe a 13" MBA would complement an iPad better, even though it is slightly less portable and less 'grab and go'. So now I'm thinking of exchanging the 11" for a 13". Even though the 11" is appealing, the 13" is more practical and I have the iPad to be that machine that goes everywhere, and it has built in 3G.

Which MBA have you guys that have iPads bought? Any similar dilemmas to mine?

Great post, deep subject :)

I've been there.

Problem is now if you go from the 11" back to the iPad it's limitations may bother you now than before you started taking the 11" everywhere :) That's my experience.

If you're using a device to watch video, surf, write short amounts of text you'll be okay, but if you type a lot, or surf websites that require flash to work, for example mls.com you'll see it's limitations fast.

Yet, I love my ipad, use it many times everyday, great gps, excellent for flipping through pages of pdf's, looking up data as I'm typing on my Air, battery is great....

But, for the iPad to replace my little 11" Air as a take everywhere device, no way. I tend to take both when I can, if not the 11" goes for sure.

I use a usb high speed internet stick so I can get instantly connected similar to the iPad.

I have the 13" MBA too, bought both 2011 models with the idea the 11" would be for travel, plane, car and the 13" MBA would be my home office computer where I spend most of my time.

To my surprise lately I've ended up using the 11" a LOT at home and office too. It's size works anywhere, anytime I love it. In my office I have two ACD's on my desk connected to my Mac Pro ... still I'm using my 11", works on desk, can recline back in chair, move around...

Actually most of today I've sat on my couch at home on holidays grumpy because we're busy with work ... I've replied to an insane amount of emails ALL on the 11" ... I have the 13" right beside me, I find the 11" better on my lap, can type in any position literally, lol ... 13" is bit more awkward, like a normal notebook, not as 'fun'.

Makes me wonder if I even need the 13" MBA ... I 'think' I do because in theory more screen real estate equals more productivity, less scrolling, longer battery, SD slot etc, I should need and use it more than the 11" but i don't.

In a way I'd like to try making the 11" my "main" computer, office, home, travel. I have an ACD at office and home, the idea would be the 'brains' of my system are in a small 11" package, and just plug it into externals where ever I'm working. I have my Mac Pro in office for heavy lifting, video edits, server, back up etc. Having the 11" for 99% of my hands on time sounds perfect in theory.

It's the 11" screen that holds me back ... I don't like to work from a desk often, therefore I'd be looking at an 11" screen 80% of the time. A 13" could be better, or would it?

That's the thing with Apple, they make a great desktop, need it buy it, and they make a great MBP, need it buy it, then the MacBook Air's get powerful, of course I need it and buy it too.

The 13" was 'wow' and the go to machine for portable use up until October 2010 ... and then the an 11" came out too! Have to buy that, it's better on a plane tray, in the car, fun to use on the lap, gotta get the 13" too so when I'm at home I have 2 inches more screen real estate, plus the iPad's come out and we buy those too .... suddenly so many gadgets and many people spend a lot of time trying to figure which one is 'best' ... I'm guilty of that, many Apple fans are!!

Just rambling here, it's not a brief topic, lol, hope it helped in some way? My conclusion is the 11" MacBook is the most 'alluring' to me, that's why its my choice every time I go to do work whether it's editing a vector design or replying to a hundred emails.... it's the 11" I'm drawn to every time.

Award for longest reply? :eek:

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
An 11" air is as portable as an ipad with a keyboard. In fact, that's what it is to me. I do not use my ipad anymore. The ipad is great once text input is solved. It's really not ideal, but that's the limitation of the form factor.

sprockett

macrumors member
May 19, 2008

I've been there.

Problem is now if you go from the 11" back to the iPad it's limitations may bother you now than before you started taking the 11" everywhere :) That's my experience.

If you're using a device to watch video, surf, write short amounts of text you'll be okay, but if you type a lot, or surf websites that require flash to work, for example mls.com you'll see it's limitations fast.

Yet, I love my ipad, use it many times everyday, great gps, excellent for flipping through pages of pdf's, looking up data as I'm typing on my Air, battery is great....

But, for the iPad to replace my little 11" Air as a take everywhere device, no way. I tend to take both when I can, if not the 11" goes for sure.

I use a usb high speed internet stick so I can get instantly connected similar to the iPad.

I have the 13" MBA too, bought both 2011 models with the idea the 11" would be for travel, plane, car and the 13" MBA would be my home office computer where I spend most of my time.

To my surprise lately I've ended up using the 11" a LOT at home and office too. It's size works anywhere, anytime I love it. In my office I have two ACD's on my desk connected to my Mac Pro ... still I'm using my 11", works on desk, can recline back in chair, move around...

Actually most of today I've sat on my couch at home on holidays grumpy because we're busy with work ... I've replied to an insane amount of emails ALL on the 11" ... I have the 13" right beside me, I find the 11" better on my lap, can type in any position literally, lol ... 13" is bit more awkward, like a normal notebook, not as 'fun'.

Makes me wonder if I even need the 13" MBA ... I 'think' I do because in theory more screen real estate equals more productivity, less scrolling, longer battery, SD slot etc, I should need and use it more than the 11" but i don't.

In a way I'd like to try making the 11" my "main" computer, office, home, travel. I have an ACD at office and home, the idea would be the 'brains' of my system are in a small 11" package, and just plug it into externals where ever I'm working. I have my Mac Pro in office for heavy lifting, video edits, server, back up etc. Having the 11" for 99% of my hands on time sounds perfect in theory.

It's the 11" screen that holds me back ... I don't like to work from a desk often, therefore I'd be looking at an 11" screen 80% of the time. A 13" could be better, or would it?

That's the thing with Apple, they make a great desktop, need it buy it, and they make a great MBP, need it buy it, then the MacBook Air's get powerful, of course I need it and buy it too.

The 13" was 'wow' and the go to machine for portable use up until October 2010 ... and then the an 11" came out too! Have to buy that, it's better on a plane tray, in the car, fun to use on the lap, gotta get the 13" too so when I'm at home I have 2 inches more screen real estate, plus the iPad's come out and we buy those too .... suddenly so many gadgets and many people spend a lot of time trying to figure which one is 'best' ... I'm guilty of that, many Apple fans are!!

Just rambling here, it's not a brief topic, lol, hope it helped in some way? My conclusion is the 11" MacBook is the most 'alluring' to me, that's why its my choice every time I go to do work whether it's editing a vector design or replying to a hundred emails.... it's the 11" I'm drawn to every time.

i know exactly how u feel! The 13 inch is now my one and only device. IPAD is great for movies / gps, but its 2nd in terms of importance to me nwo.

11inch definitely more portable than 13 (quite a big difference), but screen real estate and batt life are what made me go with the 13. But that being said, I haven't had an extended test period with the 11 yet to see if it fits my needs better.

PS: i learnt about one handed surfing via gestures (using better touch tool), and my MBA is even more amazing... three finger click to open in new tab, three finger swipe left / right to switch tabs, three finger swipe down to close tab.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Ima have to look that up..better touch tool. Thanks for the heads up.

When I had a brief play with the 11, the palm rest just seemed too short..I have long hands, not big..but long..think piano playing, and I'm a tall guy..it seemed a little awkward to me..

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
i can't imagine having an iPad and a mba. i have the 11" mba (sold my 06' MBP to upgrade).

i can see if you own an iMac and need a portable device to couch surf, take notes, or just an internet solution on the go.

the iPad is a cool device, but still isn't as advanced enough for me to spend several hundred dollars for an oversized iPod touch.

my 11" mba is my main machine, travel solution, and my couch companion. also considering about buying an external, keyboard, trackpad, and speakers to double as a desktop setup to help with photo editing since i am getting into photography.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
For different tasks

" 11" makes iPad feel redundant?"

No, definitely not! They are complementary to each other. They are for different purposes although the kinds of their uses may overlap. An iPad is good for immediately access while an Air is good for light through some heavy computing.

Although everything that can be done with an iPad can be done with an Air, it is preferable to use an iPad instead of an Air in many circumstances, for example browsing the web and checking emails on the coach, etc.

Another point in favor of iPad is that using an iPad for what it can do saves energy! Thus, if possible, please use an iPad instead of an Air or any other more power consuming computing devices.

In summary, if the budget allows, we should get an iPad for light computing in consideration of its convenience of use and saving energy.

As correctly pointed out by the poster and many others, the iPad and Air are complementary.

BTW: It's almost kind of amusing to read such a statement regarding "energy saving" in this context of a forum: "(...) please use an iPad instead of an Air or any other more power consuming computing devices." And I think the poster really is serious.

The main iPad limitation for me and many people who writes a lot, is the more cumbersome and rather inconvenient ways of entering text, especially texts of some length.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
As correctly pointed out by the poster and many others, the iPad and Air are complementary.

BTW: It's almost kind of amusing to read such a statement regarding "energy saving" in this context of a forum: "(...) please use an iPad instead of an Air or any other more power consuming computing devices." And I think the poster really is serious.

The main iPad limitation for me and many people who writes a lot, is the more cumbersome and rather inconvenient ways of entering text, especially texts of some length.

The Airs are the answer for iPad users who went to lengths and expense to make their iPads more laptop-like; with a sum of encumbrances that belie the device's simplicity. Might as well trade all that overhead for the simpler device (MBA) that you can do more with, at a space and weight savings.

kilonet

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011

I've been there.

I love your post. Its very helpful to read real experiences.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Air 11 for my needs!

FieldingMellish wrote:

"The Airs are the answer for iPad users who went to lengths and expense to make their iPads more laptop-like; with a sum of encumbrances that belie the device's simplicity. Might as well trade all that overhead for the simpler device (MBA) that you can do more with, at a space and weight savings."

You really pinpoint my situation and needs 100 percent! I have - really in vain - been striving to make (or rather: "transform") the iPad into a more writer-friendly gadget than it in fact is.

And the 11 Air is the solution to my needs. (But the iPad has its other pros, and I am not sure that I will let it go for sale yet...)

arul

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
I'd sell my ipad2 in a heartbeat if the 11" came with in-built 3G. I guess I could use my android wifi hotspot and/or any other mifi device but that involves a few more steps then flipping open the ipad cover and checking emails/getting on the net/reading news etc...just not the same on the 11" for me.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
My iPhone 4 made my iPad feel useless. I really dont see the need for an iPad. It feels so slow, typing is a chore, and you cant run any Office apps on it but obviously Apple created a market for it so give them credit.

I use my:
iPhone for quick web related tasks, some apps, although im starting to favor web apps, quick email, and texts
13" Macbook Air for MS Office, long internet sessions, responding to long emails, etc
Kindle for reading

Those are the only gadgets I need at this time until iPhone 5 comes out.

P0stalTek

Suspended
Feb 25, 2011
My iPhone 4 made my iPad feel useless. I really dont see the need for an iPad. It feels so slow, typing is a chore, and you cant run any Office apps on it but obviously Apple created a market for it so give them credit.

I use my:
iPhone for quick web related tasks, some apps, although im starting to favor web apps, quick email, and texts
13" Macbook Air for MS Office, long internet sessions, responding to long emails, etc
Kindle for reading

Those are the only gadgets I need at this time until iPhone 5 comes out.

Head meets nail.

I bought my first Apple device, an iPad 1 16gb 3G. I fell in love almost instantly. This paved the way for me to get the Verizon iPhone the minute it was released. After that, I found that all my "mobile needs" were quickly becoming more convenient on the iPhone 4 at my side instead of the iPad that was in my bag.

Then I decided to go back to college and knew I'd need a new laptop since I'm going back for IT related schooling. I decided to get the MBA, which completed the circle and now my iPad doesn't even leave the house.

I leave it at home with a full charge for my wife to play words with friends on and so that she has a mobile surfing device for Facebook and such.

The short: I was inseparable with my iPad until I got the iPhone 4 which paved the way for me to replace the iPad completely for MY needs. I'm just thankful my wife uses it so I don't feel compelled to sell it for practicality reasons. I still love the device!

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Here's my story.

I had the previous generation MBA with no backlit keyboard, and the Toshiba 128GB SSD with no TRIM support. It was a great computer, but it was sluggish when running on the Core 2 Duo hardware, so I sold it off and then got the iPad 2 on release. The benefit of the previous model MBA was that it used the Nvidia GPU.

Now the iPad 2 is a great device, and very snappy, but some web pages do not work on the iPad 2 and don't display properly as they are not designed for the iPad's browser, and add to this the tedious task of typing in "pecking mode" when I'm a certified touch typer who does about 70 words per minute. Us touch typer's do better with a proper full QWERTY keyboard, as its a lot quicker. You can't even chat on the Facebook.com page on an iPad.

Today, I picked up the new MBA 13" 256GB i7 ULV based system. I was going to go for a 15" MPB but the screen is only the same resolution as the MBA 13" (1440x900), and it uses the normal platter-based drives, and costs more. I have also decided to sell of my iPad 2 64GB as well, as most apps that work on the iPad work on the new Mac App Store. Since I prefer a full QWERTY laptop keyboard, I don't see any point keeping the iPad 2 with my new MBA.

I wish Apple upped the RAM on the new MBA to include 8GB as an option, as I see this as a limiting factor when the MBP's support up to 8GB. Additionally, I think this would of helped because the video RAM is taken from the overall system RAM, reducing the total amount available. The other drawback is no more Nvidia GPU, instead now its an Intel integrated GPU. Apple should have made the GPU discrete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.