Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TUAW notes that Skype for iPad is finally available in the New Zealand App Store. The release is expected to roll into other countries over time. A promo video for the iPad version of the app was leaked in June and confirmed to be coming to the App Store.
The app was announced over a month ago in late June, but for unknown reasons its release was delayed until now. The iPad version of Skype supports the same features as the iPhone version, and it seems that all features other than two-way video chat are supported on the original iPad. The iPad 2, of course, will have full support for video conferencing via either of its cameras.
Here's the original promo video:

We'll post more when the app becomes available in the U.S. This App Store link will take you to the NZ version for now.

Article Link: Skype for iPad Available in New Zealand, Other Countries to Follow

Last edited by a moderator:

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Wow we get it first? lol, still doesn't make up for waiting 3 months after U.S launch for the iPad to launch

Jason S.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I followed the link in the article and was able to download. I'm in the US. Synced to my iPad and is running just fine. Couldn't find it through the App Store app on the iPad though.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Does it drain battery and CPU performance (for no good reason) when you’re NOT on a call, same as the iPhone/iPod version seems to?

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=662323

Or does this one properly use Push notification so the app doesn’t need to be running 24/7 just so you can be “available”?

I’d love to see Skype change their practices on that, but it’s been the “wrong way” for so long I’ve nearly given up!

As a result, I can’t keep myself signed into Skype all the time. Which is a real pain, and means people can’t reach me. I only keep the app installed so I can call out.

stone001

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
ALL social networking its can be easily access for i phone ....and each and everything software it must be available for mobile sites so easily access them in different places

Twenty5

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
6000742916_0867d4c67d_z.jpg

Seriously this is just sad. Over a year for this unpolished app. They didnt even bother to make it universal.

The upper left square space for the user dp gets messed up when you switch to a vertical orientation. wth

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.