PDA

View Full Version : This solved Wifi issues...

agentphish
Aug 1, 2011, 09:50 PM
Was helping a friend with his Early '08 MBP. He was having wifi issues associated with Lion.

This is what we did in the order we did it, he has not had any issues in 5 days at this point.

trashed /Library/Preferences/Systemconfiguration folder
Reboot
Do not join a wifi network
open system preferences
go to network
go to wifi
click advanced
remove all preferred networks in the list if there happen to be any there.
click ok
click gear icon at bottom of network sources pane
click set service order
drag wifi to top
drag Bluetooth DUN/PAN both to bottom
Click ok.
Reboot
Join a network.

I hope this helps someone, it worked flawlessly for us.

mrtravel123
Aug 1, 2011, 09:58 PM
I'm glad that you found a solution. For a novice like me, however, I get nervous about going in and deleting files & customizing this and that. If I get frustrated enough I'll go with your solution. I'm just hoping that Apple's update comes out very soon.

There are several significant issues that are affecting many people. It baffles me that so many flaws got through the developers.

agentphish
Aug 1, 2011, 10:29 PM
trashing that folder is completely safe. it gets completely rebuilt with default OS settings on reboot.

I'd go through with it. the steps are very very simple and it worked for us.

tom5304
Aug 1, 2011, 11:57 PM
I'm also a little leery of trashing files like that. I have no idea how to fix it if I make a mistake.

The problem I have with trying your solution is that I've seen at least a half-dozen similar solutions out there on the internet, and not one of them seems to work consistently with every user who is having problems with Lion's broken Wifi.

And the real question is why the heck we have to make these kinds of elaborate, complicated changes to make something so basic work. Airport works fine for me on Snow Leopard. Why did Apple charge me $29 for a product that broke my Wifi? And why should I have to make structural changes to key files just to make something work that worked without any of my input in Snow Leopard?

manowar
Aug 2, 2011, 04:31 AM
I have just done this and so far so good.
It is very easy to do ;)

manowar
Aug 2, 2011, 04:36 AM
i spoke to soon :mad: still got the problem

agentphish
Aug 2, 2011, 09:57 AM
Sorry to hear that. It did work for us.

I guess we will continue to look for a solution.

I don't disagree that it's not a good situation that apple seems to have put in many users in. I am thankful that I am not affected on any of my systems. In fact of the 20 or so people I know with Lion on various machines, only my one friend who I helped out with this solution has been affected