Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4jasontv

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
I love Lion's new full screen (yeah yeah, my 2nd monitor is useless) but I have run into something with Safari that is annoying me. I keep all of my bookmarks sorted in folders (comics, sports, news...) in the bookmark bar and each morning open them all via the "open in tabs" command. As I read each page I open links by command clicking them and close finished pages with command + w.

Here is where I run into an annoyance.

When I get to the last tab closing it takes me back to the desktop. This is fine, except when I click on Safari to open a new window, it isn't full screen. Now I either need to use the keyboard command or the window icon.

What I would like is either a popup to let me know I am closing the last tab (but not when I am just closing one of many tabs) or a way to make new windows open in full screen.

Any ideas?

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but, why dont you keep safari open all the time? Or close safari using ctrl+q. When you reopen safari, it reopens all your tabs with the same sites you left it on.

4jasontv

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
fitshaced, I am not looking to quit Safari. The annoyance is that when there is only one tab and I close it, Safari stops being a full screen app because there are no windows to be full screen. When I click on the Safari icon in the dock, a new window opens, but not as a full screen window.

Does that make more sense?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I would think that if you open one tab to the Safari default top sites grid, and leave that as your 1st tab to the left, when you have closed all your others and get back to that one, you just stop.

4jasontv

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
I might just have to add a dummy tab to each of my bookmarks. Thanks folks. I just wish there was a more elegant solution.

4jasontv

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
I might just have to add a dummy tab to each of my bookmarks. Thanks folks. I just wish there was a more elegant solution.

I mean to each folder of bookmarks. These are websites I read with my morning coffee, and most of the time I am not yet awake to remember to do something special.

4jasontv

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Solution

I did eventually find a solution to this. tabkeys has a feature:

Lastly, there is a setting that determines what happens when you close the last tab of a window. Instead of closing the window, Tabkeys can replace the last tab with an empty one or load a specified URL into it. (On Safari 5.0.x, this setting only works when you close the last tab using a Tabkeys shortcut. On newer Safari versions, it is always effective.)

Word of warning, some of the default hotkeys can make typing on some websites a little wonky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.