Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
page11_blog_entry63-dsc01809.jpg

My first SGP product that I ever used was back in the old days when I had my iPhone 3G. Since then we have come along way, and new products have evolved over the years, and that includes screen shields. SGP recently unveiled their new line of screen shields for the iPhone 4, and one in particular really caught my eye, named the Ultra Optics. The Ultra Optics is said to keep that anti-glare/anti-fingerprint feature of the Ultra Matte while having better LCD clarity. So, with all these gimmicky features that SGP has used, does the Ultra Optics really have what it takes to strike a fine line between crystal clear and anti-glare? Read on for the full review to find out!

SGP always gives everybody the good stuff, and that’s no different with the Ultra Optics. The packaging is simple, clean, and elegant to say the least, with a black matte finish and a simple description of the product on the front and the back. You also get a pretty good amount of goodies as well. You get a set of the Ultra Optics LCD protectors, and a set of SGP dust removal stickers for when you need to remove those pesky particles during installation.

Installation is always the most stressful when it comes to screen shields. Thankfully, SGP is usually very generous when it comes to bubbles and dust, so even if you did get a few micro particles stuck under your screen that are accompanied by a huge (and rather ugly) bubble, it should squeeze right out with a smooth glide of the screen. If you follow the instructions and line up the shield carefully, you shouldn’t have any dust or problems under the screen, but if you do (like I did), simply take two of the dust removal stickers that SGP provides, put one near the dust or bubble, and lift up the shield, while taking the other sticker and attaching it to the underside to remove the dust. That’s it, you should be done with the installation process.

So, the Ultra Optics has a very weird sound to it as a first impression, and unfortunately, this is one of the downsides to the screen shield. It sounds very much like vinyl, yet still retains that somewhat matte texture that anti-glare screen shields are made for. It’s really a love or hate situation for everyone, some may love the sound, some may not. When it comes to screen clarity, the Retina Display does seem to appeal to the eye a bit more than the graininess of anti-glares, but I still made out micro lines that ran across the screen that still deluded the quality a little bit, so this is by no means a crystal clear screen shield.

As far as the durability and things along those lines go, its pretty fantastic. After testing out these shields for the past 3 weeks, I haven’t found any scratches of the sort, so that’s all good. But, I will tell you right now, unlike crystal clear shields, this thing is very hard to clean, an absolutely horror in a better sense of the word. The best way that I found to go about cleaning these is spraying a dash of water (or use a moist towelette) on the screen and drying it down with a dry towel or cloth.

SGP has in fact changed their cutouts for the better, while the home button is still the same old perfectly cut circle, the FaceTime camera and the speaker opening are a different story. SGP has decided it would be best to include two separations for the camera and the speaker grill that are both perfectly cutout like the home button. Also, SGP has taken into recognition that many people like to use cases on the iPhone 4, so there is a little space on the sides, bottom, top, and corners to accommodate third party cases.

Overall, I do in fact like the SGP Ultra Optics for the iPhone 4, and while it does have a few minor downsides like the very annoying noise, the Ultra Optics provides a very nice and the precision cutouts of these shields are marvelous, screen quality is quite a bit better than grainy anti-glare screen shields, and scratches and scuffs are almost nonexistent. If you are looking for a screen shield that not only provides great protection, but also inherits a mix between the two main categories of protectors (anti-glare & crystal clear), then the SGP Ultra Optics may be for you. You can pick up the Ultra Optics for the iPhone 4 for $15.99 at the SGP online store & Cretouch. Hit up the links to get yours.

Rating: 3.5/5

SGP Ultra Optics for iPhone 4 (Product Link to SGP Store)
SGP Ultra Optics for iPhone 4 (Product Link to Cretouch)

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2010
I heard that after about 2 weeks the Ultra Optics will be impossible to clean and it'll start looking ugly. Someone on this forum said that it's "the worst of both worlds" (meaning, it'll have both marks and not true 100% clarity)

maverick86

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
MA
I heard that after about 2 weeks the Ultra Optics will be impossible to clean and it'll start looking ugly. Someone on this forum said that it's "the worst of both worlds" (meaning, it'll have both marks and not true 100% clarity)

It's not impossible to clean it just requires a combination of cleaning solution and a microfiber. But that statement is true for the most part; you won't get the full clarity of a crystal clear and it's very easy to mark up the protector with fingerprints and oil

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Washington

It's not impossible to clean, add a little bit of water and wipe it down with a towel and you should be fine. That being said, and other way is extremely hard when it comes to cleaning it.

That's what happened to mine. I have since switched to Power Support HD Anti-Glare and love it.

Yes, the Power Support JD Anti-Glare is still my favorite shield of all time.

Very nice review.

Thanks! :D

It's not impossible to clean it just requires a combination of cleaning solution and a microfiber. But that statement is true for the most part; you won't get the full clarity of a crystal clear and it's very easy to mark up the protector with fingerprints and oil

Yes, it really does have disadvantages of both worlds. Attracts more fingerprints than an anti-glare (albeit less than a crystal clear), and has more clarity than a anti-glare (still, albeit less than crystal clear). That being said, I still don't think it's the worst of both worlds, but somewhere in between.

Faded1984

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
but I still made out micro lines that ran across the screen that still deluded the quality a little bit

I installed mine last week and have already taken it off due to the lines that were visible, it annoyed the hell out of me.
In terms of the sound though, you can hardly hear it, if it all, in any real life situation where other noises are around.

I'm now without a screen shield which I may end up sticking with but am tempted by the Power Support HD.

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
I installed mine last week and have already taken it off due to the lines that were visible, it annoyed the hell out of me.
In terms of the sound though, you can hardly hear it, if it all, in any real life situation where other noises are around.

I'm now without a screen shield which I may end up sticking with but am tempted by the Power Support HD.

The HD Anti-Glare is an amazing shield. I didn't notice the noise much until I went to clean the screen...loud!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.