PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite/most useful widget?

rotarypower101
Aug 2, 2011, 12:06 AM
Any good ones out there, maybe something though simple, you use on a day to day basis and really fits a niche well?

TIA

iWonderwhy
Aug 2, 2011, 12:50 AM
I like the clock. It's pretty cool.

rotarypower101
Aug 2, 2011, 01:18 AM
I like the clock. It's pretty cool.

The TIME for being facetious has passed.

Just wondering if anyone has any good ones they would like to pass on.

For example someone wanted to see their hidden files, and I just happen to have had a cool little widget that allows the user to hide/reveal these folders/files, and it is a very useful little tool.

So I thought maybe others would have something similar to pass on that would not necessarily have been a very logical conclusion that a useful widget was made to solve a problem.

Steve's Barber
Aug 2, 2011, 01:32 AM
I like the clock. It's pretty cool.If I'm going to waste a key press it certainly won't be to see what time it is.

iStat Nano is about the only useful widget I've come across. Too bad widget coding has pretty much died. Haven't seen anything else useful in a long time.

Icy1007
Aug 2, 2011, 02:17 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like the traffic light in the upper left of windows. It's a pretty nice widget.

MartiNZ
Aug 2, 2011, 07:11 AM
Well, if we don't get an option to always show the menubar in fullscreen apps, invoking Dashboard may actually become the preferred method for checking the time :eek:!

Since finding out that you can add exchange rates to the Stocks iPhone app, and similarly the Stocks widget, it has gone from "would never ever use" to probably the most useful built-in widget for me.

As for 3rd party ones, all I have is XWordLookup, which is useful for what it is, and Mighty Monitor, which is still useful as Lion hasn't fixed SL's bugs with reporting battery level for Apple's peripherals ><.

My favourite Dashboard change in Lion, however, has to be the removal of the iTunes widget. The only downside is that I quite enjoyed reporting its bugs every point point OS update - oh, and the fact that with fullscreen apps it might actually have been useful for the first time in its 6-year life ... RIP you buggy widget!

danielrmitchell
Aug 2, 2011, 10:39 AM
I had a nice little widget while running SL that would look at the song you have playing in iTunes and look up missing artwork from Amazon, download and apply it to the song.

When I upgraded to Lion it disappeared and I cannot remember what it was called to search for and download it again :(

Personally I found it infinitely useful since I am completely anal when it comes to tagging my music properly.

4jasontv
Aug 2, 2011, 11:16 AM
I have the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse so Mighty Monitor is pretty useful.

"Delivery Status" is great too if you do a lot of online shopping.

natd1993
Aug 2, 2011, 11:28 AM
I had a nice little widget while running SL that would look at the song you have playing in iTunes and look up missing artwork from Amazon, download and apply it to the song.

When I upgraded to Lion it disappeared and I cannot remember what it was called to search for and download it again :(

Personally I found it infinitely useful since I am completely anal when it comes to tagging my music properly.

Not sure if its the exact one, but this app seems to do the same thing, and can be downloaded and installed into Lion: http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/music/amazonalbumart.html :D

ideal.dreams
Aug 2, 2011, 11:43 AM
Widgets? Those are so last year. :D

In all seriousness I barely use my dashboard. Might disable it, there aren't any good widgets being developed and the ones that come standard aren't that great.

rotarypower101
Aug 3, 2011, 12:23 AM

Not sure if its the exact one, but this app seems to do the same thing, and can be downloaded and installed into Lion: http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/music/amazonalbumart.html :D

See there is a really good one right there!

Doesn't work as well as it could as iTunes has obviously been changing, but is is actually a useful little tool.

Thanks for the info and link.

Ufcmmafan
Aug 3, 2011, 12:49 AM
How much memory is gained by completely turning off dashboard?
How is it done?
Any iTunes controlling widgets left?

clientsiman
Aug 3, 2011, 12:59 AM
I am only using Currency Converter and Tea Timer and Screenshot Plus.

murdercitydevil
Aug 3, 2011, 01:33 AM
iStat...that's about it. I find little use for the dashboard except sometimes using the calculator and dictionary/thesaurus.

Bazzybaz
Aug 3, 2011, 04:57 AM
I have the calander as it's useful to quickly check dates and days of the week for the months ahead.

Weather, although I rarely use this as my source for the weather I admit.

TV Show Tracker, I have the app on my iPhone as well but this is probably my most used widget.

iStat Pro, just because.

LadyTax, I use this to work out various tax amounts whilst doing invoices or my VAT returns.

Calculator, it's a bit fiddly to use whilst on a laptop but can be handy to have to hand.

Not very exciting, but then dashboard isn't.

Fraaaa
Aug 3, 2011, 06:14 AM
The only widget I have been using since I have a Mac are calculator, notes and most of all dictionary, which as been replaced by the double three-finger tap in Lion. I never liked much the sticky notes as widget, I like the normal sticky better, but I hated the clutter in the desktop.

Dazzlew
Aug 3, 2011, 06:18 AM
Its a "feature" that tbh i've never really used to any effect.
Did have a browse on Apple's site to see what i may consider as a contender for a must have but i couldnt!

So yeah, how do you disable it :)

EvanLugh
Aug 3, 2011, 06:22 AM
i wanted a sing along yesterday but, the "mlyrics" widget that's featured and the #1 downloaded, now just directs to a spam site.
However i've got

TunesTEXT
Apple remote desktop
stickies
calc
weather channel

simples

danielrmitchell
Aug 3, 2011, 06:28 AM

HEY THANKS! That's spot-on. And I can confirm that it DOES work well with Lion since I have been playing with it for the last 10 minutes.

I still find it funny that it was stripped out of my install after upgrading to Lion, but hey, at least it's back and working again now.

Thanks again natd1993:)

Gemütlichkeit
Aug 3, 2011, 06:52 AM
Weather Channel Doppler Radar
Organized

two of my favorites

Gemütlichkeit
Aug 3, 2011, 06:54 AM
Widgets? Those are so last year. :D

In all seriousness I barely use my dashboard. Might disable it, there aren't any good widgets being developed and the ones that come standard aren't that great.

I didn't use them for the first year of running OSX.. I was like "this is useless!" then I found some widgets that actually provide good information and found myself using dashboard more.

I wish apple would put more effort into widget development. Dashboard is really useful.

cesn15
Aug 3, 2011, 07:05 AM
I like iStatPro.
I enjoy monitoring my Mac

mattpreston11
Aug 3, 2011, 07:39 AM
Sticky notes
mighty monitor
istat pro
weather

My most used ones.Like the new dashboard implementation, alot quicker than the old way.

3bs
Aug 3, 2011, 08:12 AM
The TIME for being facetious has passed.

Just wondering if anyone has any good ones they would like to pass on.

For example someone wanted to see their hidden files, and I just happen to have had a cool little widget that allows the user to hide/reveal these folders/files, and it is a very useful little tool.

So I thought maybe others would have something similar to pass on that would not necessarily have been a very logical conclusion that a useful widget was made to solve a problem.

What's the name of the widget you're talking about that hides and shows folders?