PDA

View Full Version : Lion OSX Bootable DMG and TM

macswitcha2
Aug 2, 2011, 12:26 AM
I want to save the DMG on an external harddrive. Would it interfere with anything currently on my external harddrive?

gr8tfly
Aug 2, 2011, 12:32 AM
No. It's just a file.

Where does TM come into play? If your external drive is your TM drive, you can still use the drive for other files. They will just reduce the amount of space TM has for backup, and thus how far back in time it will go.

macswitcha2
Aug 2, 2011, 12:40 AM
No. It's just a file.

Where does TM come into play? If your external drive is your TM drive, you can still use the drive for other files. They will just reduce the amount of space TM has for backup, and thus how far back in time it will go.

Ahh, ok. So when I place the DMG in my external drive, when TM backs up, would it interfere with the file?

gr8tfly
Aug 2, 2011, 12:43 AM
No. Time Machine keeps its backups in the folder called "Backups.backupdb".

macswitcha2
Aug 2, 2011, 12:55 AM
thanks for the replies. One more thing, clean install or over SL? I'm really taken back by this new update method. I'm hearing that a clean install of lion will make things run smoother. Have an opinion?

gr8tfly
Aug 2, 2011, 01:14 AM
I've always done an upgrade. But, beforehand, I make an image on an external drive, plus a current TM backup. So, if I do have any major problems, I can always do a clean install on an empty drive and then use Migration Assistant to restore my apps and data (from either the image or TM backup).

In my experience, I haven't had to resort to a clean install yet - and that includes updates going back to 10.3. I have had some "forced" clean installs, though, by way of buying a new machine and migrating from the previous.

I go with the easier method (upgrade), with the fallback of my backups just in case I do need to go the clean install route.

But, YMMV - other users swear by clean installs.

So far, my upgrade to Lion has been fine (with some minor issues that I'm sure will be dealt with in an upcoming update). Overall, I'd say my machine is if anything, more responsive. I like the polish they've done (frameless windows, and some other visual changes). I don't use LaunchPad - the Dock works fine for me. Dashboard is set back to the translucent background, and I limit use of FullScreen mode to those apps which lend themselves to it (FCP, Aperture, and the like). Otherwise, I'm using a similar workflow as I did with SL, but also enjoying some of the newer methods of getting around.

Btw: I just noted the word "bootable" in your title. The DMG file won't be bootable unless it's restored to its own partition [using Disk Utility]. A word of caution before changing the partitions on your TM drive: you can add new partitions to a drive non-destructively with Disk Utility, but there's always the chance of something going wrong when partitioning (though a slim one - power fail, for instance).

macswitcha2
Aug 2, 2011, 01:19 AM
Thank for your O. Now if I opt to do a clean install, can I do a clean install from the DMG that will be saved to the external harddrive after I wipe my mac's disk clean a reformat it?

macswitcha2
Aug 2, 2011, 01:29 AM
thanks for the update.

gr8tfly
Aug 2, 2011, 01:31 AM
Thank for your O. Now if I opt to do a clean install, can I do a clean install from the DMG that will be saved to the external harddrive after I wipe my mac's disk clean a reformat it?

I think I was adding to my post while you posted this one. You'll find the answer there. I haven't actually booted to the DMG, so I don't know exactly what the option looks like. But, I believe it is called "Clean Install".

Making bootable Lion installs is on my todo list. I'll probably make a partition on one of my externals and also on a USB flash drive.

macswitcha2
Aug 2, 2011, 01:51 AM
I think I was adding to my post while you posted this one. You'll find the answer there. I haven't actually booted to the DMG, so I don't know exactly what the option looks like. But, I believe it is called "Clean Install".

Making bootable Lion installs is on my todo list. I'll probably make a partition on one of my externals and also on a USB flash drive.

But what im trying to find out is if I make a partition in my external harddrive and save Lion DMG on there, can I Clean Install from the external Harddrive on to my iMac's harddrive (of course it will be wiped clean).

Icy1007
Aug 2, 2011, 02:12 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Seems most people having issues with Lion are the ones that did a clean install.

gr8tfly
Aug 2, 2011, 02:22 AM
But what im trying to find out is if I make a partition in my external harddrive and save Lion DMG on there, can I Clean Install from the external Harddrive on to my iMac's harddrive (of course it will be wiped clean).

I think you have the right idea, but I think I need to clarify where you say "save Lion DMG". You can't just copy the DMG file to the partition. You have to restore the contents to the partition. This is done using Disk Utility's Restore function.

Run Disk Utility. Select your new partition from the list on the left, then select the Restore tab. Drag the DMG to the "source" (or use the "Image..." button to find the file). Now, drag the new partition from the list to "destination". Double (or triple) check that you have the proper destination set (Restore WILL erase the destination partition), then click Restore. You'll be prompted to make sure you are telling it to do what you want it to do.

Once the Restore is complete, you should be able to restart while holding down the "opt" key and select the volume from the list.

From there, you should be able to do the Clean Install. Since, as I mentioned, I haven't booted from the DMG yet myself, I can't say exactly what you'll see. But, you should have access to Disk Utility to erase the target drive and/or have the option to do so when you start the Clean Install.

I'm just going on past experience with other OS-X installs - which, up until now, have always been done from a separate, bootable device/partition. I hate to post directions unless I have exactly the correct naming, menu, button, etc. (I still have Disk Utility in front of me for reference while I posted the above, even though I've done the process a gazillion times myself.) So, if someone here who's done this with Lion can post the specifics, I'm sure the OP would appreciate it.

macswitcha2
Aug 2, 2011, 12:53 PM
I think you have the right idea, but I think I need to clarify where you say "save Lion DMG". You can't just copy the DMG file to the partition. You have to restore the contents to the partition. This is done using Disk Utility's Restore function.

Restore? What am I restoring? I'm still running SL and havent purchased Lion yet.

Run Disk Utility. Select your new partition from the list on the left, then select the Restore tab. Drag the DMG to the "source" (or use the "Image..." button to find the file). Now, drag the new partition from the list to "destination". Double (or triple) check that you have the proper destination set (Restore WILL erase the destination partition), then click Restore. You'll be prompted to make sure you are telling it to do what you want it to do.

Once the Restore is complete, you should be able to restart while holding down the "opt" key and select the volume from the list.

From there, you should be able to do the Clean Install. Since, as I mentioned, I haven't booted from the DMG yet myself, I can't say exactly what you'll see. But, you should have access to Disk Utility to erase the target drive and/or have the option to do so when you start the Clean Install.

I'm just going on past experience with other OS-X installs - which, up until now, have always been done from a separate, bootable device/partition. I hate to post directions unless I have exactly the correct naming, menu, button, etc. (I still have Disk Utility in front of me for reference while I posted the above, even though I've done the process a gazillion times myself.) So, if someone here who's done this with Lion can post the specifics, I'm sure the OP would appreciate it.

I'll figure it out.

gr8tfly
Aug 2, 2011, 03:57 PM
After you purchase Lion and download it, but before you install (the installer deletes itself upon completion of Lion install), copy the installer app (in your app folder) to your external HD. Follow directions here and elsewhere on how to get the DMG out of the installer (it sounded like you already had or knew how, since you were discussing the DMG.

"Restore" is the term used by Disk Utility to image/clone one volume (partition) to another. When you Restore the DMG, you are telling Disk Utility to make an exact copy of its contents to the destination partition.

If you need help setting up a new partition on your external, please search MR for the procedures; if it's still not clear, I'd be happy to help with that.

macswitcha2
Aug 3, 2011, 11:37 PM
After you purchase Lion and download it, but before you install (the installer deletes itself upon completion of Lion install), copy the installer app (in your app folder) to your external HD. Follow directions here and elsewhere on how to get the DMG out of the installer (it sounded like you already had or knew how, since you were discussing the DMG.

"Restore" is the term used by Disk Utility to image/clone one volume (partition) to another. When you Restore the DMG, you are telling Disk Utility to make an exact copy of its contents to the destination partition.

If you need help setting up a new partition on your external, please search MR for the procedures; if it's still not clear, I'd be happy to help with that.

Ok I'm familiar with partitioning since I have a TB OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro with three partitions. However, all my partitions have data since I've used them for back up. One of them has lots of space and so I want to split that into two partitions so I can use the other for the Lion installer app ( DMG). However, I'm uncomfortable moving forward because when I did it, A) it doesn't make it easy for me to just have a 8GB partition and it says that the partition has 9 folders in it. Don't the partition need to be totally clean?

macswitcha2
Aug 4, 2011, 12:19 AM
update: I tried creating a new partition by splitting a current one with lots of space but when I set it to 8GB and apply the changes, when finished, it says that it cannot be modified, that I have 40 files in it, and only 2 GB of space available.

macswitcha2
Aug 4, 2011, 03:15 PM
Ok I managed to make some screen shots..

The first one shot shows what I'm working with. I choose the new iMac partition since it has more space. The second shot shows what happens when I press the + button. It splits it into have. The third shot shows which partition I chose. Obviously I want the New Mac 2 partition to be ued for the lion DMG. The fourth shot shows the partition after I adjust the size from 107 GB to 8GB. This is where I stop and undo everything. As you can see, the fourth shot says it will be created in 8GB space but the asterisk note in a nutshell says that the selected partition is actually smaller than what it appears. Understood given that I adjusted the size. However, when I click apply, nd the partition is made, it tells me that I have files in the partition and only about 2 GB of space available. What gives?

macswitcha2
Aug 4, 2011, 03:18 PM
here they are

gr8tfly
Aug 4, 2011, 06:32 PM
I can't think of a reason it would have 6GB of data in it after creating the new partition. There are some files that are always there after creation, though it's in the MB range.

Try resizing the partition, either by dragging the frame smaller or by entering the new size (old size - 8GB). I'd suggest the latter, because dragging has trouble with small sizes. After entering the new size, Apply. You should now have free space between the "new iMac" partition and the old.

Now, try and select the free space and see if it will let you create a new partition there. Don't use the "+".

macswitcha2
Aug 4, 2011, 08:46 PM
I can't think of a reason it would have 6GB of data in it after creating the new partition. There are some files that are always there after creation, though it's in the MB range.

Try resizing the partition, either by dragging the frame smaller or by entering the new size (old size - 8GB). I'd suggest the latter, because dragging has trouble with small sizes. After entering the new size, Apply. You should now have free space between the "new iMac" partition and the old.

Now, try and select the free space and see if it will let you create a new partition there. Don't use the "+".

I'm not getting what you're telling me. Can you please look at the following screen shot. Please. tell me step by step what must I do to get am 8GB out of the external hard drive.

macswitcha2
Aug 4, 2011, 10:59 PM
Ok, I tried to understand your instructions as best as I could. I went ahead and partitioned New IMac and I was only allowed to drag it to 110.44 GBs. See attachment below. Then I went ahead and manually adjusted it to 8GB and it still said that only 2 GB of space is available ( see attachment). So I reverted back to square one. Geeze, why is it so hard to get an 8GB partition out of so much empty space? Is it because I backed up all of my partitions with Time Machine?

gr8tfly
Aug 6, 2011, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure where you are at, at the moment, so I'll use the previous screen shot for reference.

Try this:

Select "New iMAC" partition. Now, change the size to 348.54GB (356.54 - 8). It should now say "New iMAC" will be resized, and no other partitions will be modified. Click Apply.

You should now show free space between New iMAC and iMac. Edit 2: can't see the free space - but it's there.

Edit 2: Select the "New iMAC" - Click "+"
Edit 2: You'll see a new "New iMac 2" partition in the freespace - click on it, and you should see it's 8GB or so. Click "Apply"

Edit 2: You should now have the new partition, sized at about 8GB. If you need more room, delete the new partition, then resize the "New iMAC" as needed. Then, repeat the above to add the new partition in the freespace created by resizing "New iMAC".

Edit 2: I actually tried the above to create a small partition for the Lion Install DMG (same thing you're trying to do) I squeezed the new partition between existing ones, so I pretty much matched your setup. I was able to fit the Lion Install DMG (real name: InstallESD.dmg) in a 5.07 GB partition.

If it still doesn't work, can you run Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities) and enter the following command (which will show a list of the current partitions)?:

% diskutil list

(type "diskutil list", then return)

Copy the section for this drive (it'll show a list for each drive - your internal and the external) and attach to post.

Edit: If your external is listed as /dev/disk1 (that's really what I needed from the first command, but I'll save time and assume that's the device name), then do the next command and attach what it outputs. Unmount the drive first (drag the volume(s) to the trash, or use Disk Utility). The following command needs the drive unmounted.

% gpt show -l disk1
(that's a "-l" as in "label", not the numeral 1)