PDA

View Full Version : Turkish Police Seize Weapons Grade Uranium


job
Sep 28, 2002, 08:30 PM
Damn..

http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=topnews&StoryID=1508708



oops this should have gone in the current events forum

krossfyter
Sep 29, 2002, 01:00 AM
i thought they did not know yet wither it was weapons grade or naturally occuring uranium. anyways... they are suppose to find out Monday whats up. 5 million dollars worth if it is the real deal. 35 pounds of it too... the bomb dropped on hiroshima was 55 pounds of uranium.

job
Sep 29, 2002, 10:42 AM
ja, and now they are saying it was grams, not kilos or pounds..

crazyness.. :eek: :p

krossfyter
Sep 30, 2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by hitman
ja, and now they are saying it was grams, not kilos or pounds..

crazyness.. :eek: :p


grams?

Mr. Anderson
Sep 30, 2002, 02:29 PM
who's saying grams? That amount of uranium wouldn't amount to much, 33 pounds is much more likely. And if that had made its way to Iraq, bastards. Who knows if this is just one of many shipments....

D

krossfyter
Sep 30, 2002, 02:44 PM
where did you get the grams thing hitman?

Wash!!
Sep 30, 2002, 03:09 PM
Just star dropping nukes on iraq all ready the mustard gas attack is coming soon to a US city near you soon.javascript:smilie(':mad:')

mischief
Sep 30, 2002, 03:11 PM
I suppose this means we'll have to blast the living **** outta everything from Istanbul to Ethiopia to halt this madness. This is proof that the whole Nuclear Deterrant strategy wasn't worth the money: It just distracted the world from seeing how bad the proliferation problem really seems to be. I'll be hiding on a south Pacific island for a few years if anybody needs me......

Wash!!
Sep 30, 2002, 03:29 PM
See the world since the beging of of recorded history is been always been kill everybody that does not belive in "my" religion.

The chatolics hate the protestant, and jewish at the same token the muslan hate everydoby "DAMM those infidels" [sarcasem}

In south america for sample the Colombias civil war they have was started by the mormons (speling?) and it has turn into protect the Drug trade that the US and Europe keep buying.

So I say just say "borron y cuenta nueva" it means purge everything and star again.
give a space shutle and supplies and I'll take my chances on Mars and watch the earht blow up from there.

peace

big
Sep 30, 2002, 04:33 PM
Unfortunatly God promised he'd never wipe out the Earth again, I guess he knew we'd do it our selves

oh- and the meek shall inherit the Earth

Hemingray
Sep 30, 2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Wash!!
See the world since the beging of of recorded history is been always been kill everybody that does not belive in "my" religion.

Some religions that did so way back when have matured/evolved (depending on how you look at it) and no longer find it necessary to kill the "heathens" that don't happen to believe what they do. Here in the U.S. you are much less likely to see someone die for their beliefs than in parts of China or Afghanistan, for example.

We are extremely fortunate.

TMay
Sep 30, 2002, 06:29 PM
"About out blasting you off the face of the earth for transporting fissile material".
"Sorry, our mistake".

Hardly anybody gets the story right early on. Give it a good 24 hours for some decent journalists to sort it out.

In this case it was 5 grams of material, not even known if it was weapons grade, or even uranium ore.

They did let the idiots go, (probably with little tiny transmitters on them).

job
Sep 30, 2002, 07:35 PM
I thought it was interesting that the picture of the evidence showed the words "Made in W. Germany" on the side of the container..

Heh. How's that for irony..

Wash!!
Sep 30, 2002, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Hemingray
"Some religions that did so way back when have matured/evolved (depending on how you look at it) and no longer find it necessary to kill the "heathens" that don't happen to believe what they do. Here in the U.S. you are much less likely to see someone die for their beliefs than in parts of China or Afghanistan, for example.

We are extremely fortunate."

Yeah some have change but the bast mojority still think the same. And the US is turning more and more as the world police.
I'l just sit thight and wait for the space ship to land ;)

Ps How do you put quotes in replys?

vniow
Sep 30, 2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Wash!!


Ps How do you put quotes in replys?


With the 'quote button' at the bottom right corner of the posts. :)

Mr. Anderson
Sep 30, 2002, 09:00 PM
It looks like it was 140 grams, or 5 oz. They couldn't hold the idiots because of lack of evidence, so they let them go (what constitutes 'evidence'?) and they've since disappeared - imagine that.

And they're still trying to determine if it was weapons grade or not.

D

job
Sep 30, 2002, 09:06 PM
I'm wondering about the amount needed to make any sort of nuclear weapon, "dirty bombs" included.

How significant is 5 oz. in the process of bomb building? (Assuming naturally that it is weapons grade.)

Wash!!
Oct 1, 2002, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by edvniow



With the 'quote button' at the bottom right corner of the posts. :)



THANKS!!!!

Mr. Anderson
Oct 1, 2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by hitman
I'm wondering about the amount needed to make any sort of nuclear weapon, "dirty bombs" included.

How significant is 5 oz. in the process of bomb building? (Assuming naturally that it is weapons grade.)

You put 5 oz. of Plutonium in a dirty bomb, get the dust in the air and it would be a huge mess. Weapons grade plutonium, if inhaled, is death, quite simple. I'm not sure how much coverage you would get, and it would depend on the weather conditions and where the bomb went off, but it would be more than enough to shut a city down till it was cleaned up and plenty of deaths would be the result. However, the scare would probably have more effect than the actual bomb itself.

D

Wash!!
Oct 1, 2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet


You put 5 oz. of Plutonium in a dirty bomb, get the dust in the air and it would be a huge mess. Weapons grade plutonium, if inhaled, is death, quite simple. I'm not sure how much coverage you would get, and it would depend on the weather conditions and where the bomb went off, but it would be more than enough to shut a city down till it was cleaned up and plenty of deaths would be the result. However, the scare would probably have more effect than the actual bomb itself.

D

They don't need to make a dirty bomb to set off a scare look what happen in Oklahoma.
You could make a very powerful chemical acttack using common house hold cleaners, you just need to know what to mix and belive me they know how.

They are just waiting for the right moment to attack most likely a heartland city like Denver, Chicago, or the like just to prove that they can get to us any time or anywhere they want.

Backtothemac
Oct 1, 2002, 08:54 AM
5 oz of weapons grade uranium would cause one hell of a messed up weekend somewhere. If it is not weapons grade it could still be used to poison a small water supply, or to create the appearance, fear factor of a dirty bomb explosion. In addition, it could be used for armor piercing cells. There are many applications for uranium.

This just goes to show everyone that the threat posed by the people is real. We have to be proactive with removing them from power. Once done, establish and maintain a peace.

To wait to handle the situation will sign the death certificates of millions of people.

oldMac
Oct 1, 2002, 08:58 AM
I'll be hiding on a south Pacific island for a few years if anybody needs me...... [/B]

Hey Mischief, you might want to check with some of the aspiring nuclear governments before choosing a specific "south pacific island". Those islands have a history of being great testing grounds. :)

job
Oct 1, 2002, 11:20 AM
Has anyone considered the possibility of terrorist groups using super tankers filled with fertilizer as floating bombs?

You park something like that down here in Houston, at one of the largest fuel refining plants in the world... :eek:

Damn....

Wash!!
Oct 1, 2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by hitman
Has anyone considered the possibility of terrorist groups using super tankers filled with fertilizer as floating bombs?

You park something like that down here in Houston, at one of the largest fuel refining plants in the world... :eek:

Damn....

Of course they'll do it. If they get the chance

Trust no one!!1:eek:

Pants
Oct 1, 2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
5 oz of weapons grade uranium would cause one hell of a messed up weekend somewhere. If it is not weapons grade it could still be used to poison a small water supply, or to create the appearance, fear factor of a dirty bomb explosion. In addition, it could be used for armor piercing cells. There are many applications for uranium.

This just goes to show everyone that the threat posed by the people is real. We have to be proactive with removing them from power. Once done, establish and maintain a peace.

To wait to handle the situation will sign the death certificates of millions of people.

whats the problem here? is it the scary word 'uranium'? yeah - put it in the water supply, and see what happens - nothing. Its like lead - lead is biologically pretty inactive in its elemental state. I'd be more concerned if it were say, selenium or beryllium being thrown about , but not uranium. A bomb designed to put it into the air as particulates maybe, but then we use (tons of!) depleted uranium shells on the iraqis without a moments hesitation, and we get worked up about the 'posibility' of a 5 oz 'dirty' bomb? blimey, i am sitting here wondering how easy it would be to efficiently turn that 5 oz ( a tiny amount....uranium is heavy....) into breathable, sub micron particles, and i reckon teh best way is to stick it on the tip of a bullet....and even then, the most obvious danger is being hit directly with the thing.

big
Oct 1, 2002, 12:20 PM
I know how to solve our 'Port" problem, you have all your boats meet some 5 miles out in sea at a "Sea Port" (or further, not sure about that range) then have a massive cargo transport (using oil rig technology)

the outside ships HAVE to port there, then trasfer their cargo to a "runner" ship, which only moves from harbor to the "Sea Port". This will give us time to inspect almost all the cargo, and the Coast Guard can blow away any run away ships within that time frame.

job
Oct 1, 2002, 12:22 PM
That sounds plausible, however, you have to remember the amount of cargo and ships that come through major ports like Houston every day.

It would be hard to search each individual ship and still have a steady flow of imports/exports.

big
Oct 1, 2002, 12:37 PM
Sorry, I hope you enjoy the 2 megaton bomb then. It would not be hard to enforce...and would actually shorten ship transport times. They could unload, then move out ASAP....

I think it's worthwhile (for the protection of our people, infrastructure, etc etc)
as far as exports go, the transport ships can carry it out to the "Sea Port" or just say to hell with the rest of the world.... Here's our goods, take 'em.

Its the imports we are mostly conserned about (if the Gvmnt could keep its hands on it's own nucleaur stock pile & secrets, AKA Texas)

job
Oct 1, 2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by big
Sorry, I hope you enjoy the 2 megaton bomb then. It would not be hard to enforce...and would actually shorten ship transport times. They could unload, then move out ASAP....

Ah, sorry, I misread your first post.

I misunderstood the part about the "runner" ships.

It's all good. I like the idea. :)

big
Oct 1, 2002, 12:50 PM
WOOOO HOO, can I now be the official US Defense Advisor to MacRumors?

the first order of buisness would be to require you all to emai your user names & passwords (for your safe keeping)

Wash!!
Oct 1, 2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by big
WOOOO HOO, can I now be the official US Defense Advisor to MacRumors?

the first order of buisness would be to require you all to emai your user names & passwords (for your safe keeping)

HA HA HA:D

job
Oct 1, 2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by big
WOOOO HOO, can I now be the official US Defense Advisor to MacRumors?

the first order of buisness would be to require you all to emai your user names & passwords (for your safe keeping)

Ehm....no...don't go all Orwellian on us now.. ;)

beatle888
Oct 2, 2002, 12:45 AM
this is just a mess...i miss john lennon.

etoiles
Oct 2, 2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Hemingray


Some religions that did so way back when have matured/evolved (depending on how you look at it) and no longer find it necessary to kill the "heathens" that don't happen to believe what they do. Here in the U.S. you are much less likely to see someone die for their beliefs than in parts of China or Afghanistan, for example.

We are extremely fortunate.

religion is a stupid excuse to go to war anyway, look closer at any 'holy book' and it will preach tolerance and peace. Anyway, life in the US might be safer (until that 'Ministry of Homeland Security' thing gets the green light), but that does not keep the US government from supporting oppressive regimes throughout the world. Kill not for religion, but for profit.

The Talibans were big friends in the 90's since they kept Russia away from oil resources in Afghanistan so US companies could exploit them...The same things are happening in south and central America and Africa, although for different economic interests. Reminds me of the Australian 'bug' problem: you want to get rid of bugs that eat your veggies, so you introduce a frog that eats the bugs, only to realize that the frogs don't have any predators and soon become the new plague...

I am not saying that America is more 'evil' than other countries (every country looks after its own interests in the first place), but it is the most powerfull nation in the world and thus most likely to make the biggest damage outside of its borders by interfering in foreign affairs...the current administration seems to think that the only way around this is to own the world (remember the words: you are either with us, or against us). Strange logic.

Politics on MR again...sorry.

groovebuster
Oct 2, 2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by hitman
I thought it was interesting that the picture of the evidence showed the words "Made in W. Germany" on the side of the container..

Heh. How's that for irony..

Can you explain what the irony part is and why it is so interesting in your opinion?

Just for your information...

1. It is just the container.

2. It must be way older than 10 years, because WEST Germany doesn't exist since almost exactly 11 years anymore. (October 3rd, 1991)

groovebuster

MacBandit
Oct 2, 2002, 01:39 AM
My theory all along has been to go to each middle east government and secretly tell them that we're on your side and give them a few nukes each. Also we set up the whole thing for them with built in M.A.D. system and then when as soon as we are done we remotely set one of them off and watch the whole middle east turn into a big canal between the Mediteranean and the Indian Ocean.

If done right no one would be the smarter and everyone in the world would just sit back and go damn guess they really had nukes and hated eachother. Seeing how all the evidence would have been vaporized. Yes they would be able to determine the plutonium came from us but they wouldn't be able to find out how they got it.

job
Oct 2, 2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by groovebuster

2. It must be way older than 10 years, because WEST Germany doesn't exist since almost exactly 11 years anymore. (October 3rd, 1991)

Yes, thank you for that insightful comment.

Having lived in the former West Germany and with relatives in the former DDR, I do know that Germany is no longer divided.

I thought it was interesting. I do not have to explain myself any further.

job
Oct 2, 2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by etoiles

The Talibans were big friends in the 90's since they kept Russia away from oil resources in Afghanistan so US companies could exploit them.

America supported the Mujaden in the late 80s.

They later morphed into the Taliban.

America's goal was not to "keep Russia away from oil resources." Our goal was to halt Soviet expansionism.

Tell me of any major oil deposits in Afganistan..
That's right, there are none.

The major oil reserves in the region are centered around the Caspian Sea area and Uzbeckistan. Not Afganistan.

Wash!!
Oct 2, 2002, 11:42 AM
The truth is that the Rusians and all of its former alies are deseparate for money and they will sell the know how or the weapons to the higesht bidder

job
Oct 2, 2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by beatle888
this is just a mess...i miss john lennon.

"All you need is love" - True...but that only works in Utopia..

People are not perfect.. ;) :D :p

job
Oct 2, 2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Wash!!
The truth is that the Rusians and all of its former alies are deseparate for money and they will sell the know how or the weapons to the higesht bidder

Exactly.

The Russian military infrastructure is falling apart at the seams.

What's to stop a rogue general from selling a couple of his nukes on the black market to earn a couple of million dollars on the side?

They need the money and have no qualms giving nukes to the highest bidder.

Wash!!
Oct 2, 2002, 12:02 PM
The Chinese and North Korea also sell their nuke tech to other countries just ask pakistan and india.

It's very scary to think but at the end of the cold war the russians developed small tactical nukes 1-10 megatons that fit on a medium side bag, they rumor that they made 20 but they only can account for 10 of them and guess what one the one they found was in their embasy in NY which they took back and the end of the cold war in the early 90's.

Just food for thought.

groovebuster
Oct 2, 2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by hitman
Having lived in the former West Germany and with relatives in the former DDR, I do know that Germany is no longer divided.

I thought it was interesting. I do not have to explain myself any further.

Congratulations... so you are an expert. ;)

a) I didn't say that you didn't know that, but just wanted to remind you that this is relatively long ago. That indicates that the container must be pretty old already... and it does look old.

b) You were talking about irony and I think it is no offense to ask what the irony is you see in the fact that the container is a way more than 10 years old one, which could have been bought anywhere in the world (probably in Russia) and was manufactured in the old West-Germany.

Of course you don't need to explain yourself if you don't like to, but now you look like a little boy who was catched with the hand in the cookie jar. You wanted to tell people something with your comment and I am interested to know what exactly it was.

groovebuster

Wash!!
Oct 2, 2002, 12:58 PM
Here we go the attacks are going to start.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/southeast/10/02/philippines.blast/index.html

Wash!!
Oct 2, 2002, 01:13 PM
NY Times
NEWS ALERT !!!
Bush Says Use of Military Force May Be Unavoidable if Iraq Resists Weapons Inspections (1:18 p.m. ET)

The attacks on Iraq it's going to start any minute now

The end is comming!!!

etoiles
Oct 2, 2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by hitman


America supported the Mujaden in the late 80s.

They later morphed into the Taliban.

America's goal was not to "keep Russia away from oil resources." Our goal was to halt Soviet expansionism.

Tell me of any major oil deposits in Afganistan..
That's right, there are none.

The major oil reserves in the region are centered around the Caspian Sea area and Uzbeckistan. Not Afganistan.

Apparently, the CIA supported the TALIBANS until 1997, pretty scary, I know. And the American companies had interests in the oil pipelines that go through Afganistan, sorry about the confusing wording. I can dig up some more info, if you are interested.

job
Oct 2, 2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by etoiles

Apparently, the CIA supported the TALIBANS until 1997, pretty scary, I know. And the American companies had interests in the oil pipelines that go through Afganistan, sorry about the confusing wording. I can dig up some more info, if you are interested.

Nah, don't worry about the wording of your post.

That is true that there are pipelines that run through Afganistan. So I guess in a way, we do have oil interests in the country, even if it is not production or exploration.

It's all good. :) :cool:

job
Oct 2, 2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by groovebuster

Of course you don't need to explain yourself if you don't like to, but now you look like a little boy who was catched with the hand in the cookie jar. You wanted to tell people something with your comment and I am interested to know what exactly it was.

groovebuster

Fine.

I thought it was "ironic" and "interesting" due to two reasons:

1. W. Germany no longer exists; the container could have come from anywhere.

and

2. After Schoeder's views on any action against Iraq, I thought it was "ironic" that the container in which the uranium was found was made in W. Germany. - However, as stated above, it could have come from anywhere. At the time of my post I was simply accepting the container at face value.

elfin buddy
Oct 6, 2002, 09:32 AM
Uranium is not very dangerous by itself, in its natural state. However, if used properly, it can be extremely devastating. Of course, I'm sure you all already know this.

I'm just trying to make a point that you shouldn't worry about terrorists putting Uranium in the water supply or air or anything like that. For middle eastern countries, Uranium is scarce and is a precious commodity. If they were going to use it against anyone, it would be in the form of a radioactive attack. Uranium isn't really dangerous until it is blasted with neutrons. I would be more worried about something like Strontium-90 getting in the water supply than Uranium.

Personally, I am worried about every little bit of Uranium that Iraq *might* get its hands on. It doesn't take much to make a powerful weapon. If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the nuclear attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki used about 0.5% of the potential power in the bombs. That was because the technology wasn't sufficiently advanced to be any more efficient. These days, I'm sure that the efficiency of nuclear weapons has gone up dramatically, so it would take far less fissile material to make a bomb with the power of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs.

Just so that you know, it isn't that hard for middle eastern countries to get nuclear technology. Pakistan got it simply by lying to Canada (yes, Canada is responsible for Pakistan's nukes). And before anyone starts to rag on Canada, I am Canadian and am very ashamed of my government's mistake.