PDA

View Full Version : Any major issues running apps in 32bit

paulsalter
Aug 2, 2011, 05:17 AM
I have about one of the oldest machines that Lion runs on 2007 C2D, with only 2GB of ram (dont want to upgrade this as i am after a new mac later in the year)

I have found that if I run my apps in 32bit mode instead of 64 (mail, safari, itunes) they use half the amount of ram

my ram usage is now about the same as it was in SL

I dont notice any performance issues

Are there any other issues I might run into running apps in 32bit mode?

Nuckinfuts
Aug 2, 2011, 06:38 AM
I have about one of the oldest machines that Lion runs on 2007 C2D, with only 2GB of ram (dont want to upgrade this as i am after a new mac later in the year)

I have found that if I run my apps in 32bit mode instead of 64 (mail, safari, itunes) they use half the amount of ram

my ram usage is now about the same as it was in SL

I dont notice any performance issues

Are there any other issues I might run into running apps in 32bit mode?

Safari may be a little slower but that's it really (of the apps you mentioned). All that's really happening when you switch to 32bit mode is all integers (and pointers) switch to using only 4 bytes instead of 8 bytes each. with only 2GB of total memory, this is fine

paulsalter
Aug 2, 2011, 06:41 AM
Safari may be a little slower but that's it really (of the apps you mentioned). All that's really happening when you switch to 32bit mode is all integers (and pointers) switch to using only 4 bytes instead of 8 bytes each. with only 2GB of total memory, this is fine

cheers for that, will watch out for any slow downs, so far seems ok

just for my older system, any ram savings I can get are an advantage (unless it does start getting very slow)

Bulldog3777
Aug 2, 2011, 08:07 AM
Can you run lion in 32 bit? I have a new MBA with Lion and my Verizon Mifi will not run Verizon Manager on 64 bit systems.