Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I just thought I'd throw this out there and would love to find out if I really am a incredibly fortunate case or if there is a silent majority that actually upgraded smoothly.

I updated to Lion on release day. I did not do a clean install. I installed Lion on my iMac and my MBP. Other than a few small, well-known bugs (that will get resolved), I have not had one issue. No slow downs, no wifi issues, no printing issues, no memory leaks, no crashes, no iTunes issues, no Time Machine issues, no WOL issues, no wake from sleep issues, and no third-party audio plug-in issues. I am a power user, but did nothing magical except to drop in to Terminal to unhide my Library folder.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
It's good to hear everything is working for you :). It's a nice change when all you hear is bugs and complaints.

I myself have a mid-2009 MBP and did not do a clean install and my only problem is Lion doesn't support dual monitors when going into full screen. Hoping it's fixed in the next update. Other than that I love it.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Another satisfied customer here..got it on my new MBA. Don't notice a big diff really. Told the guy that bought my 2010 MBA not to bother, stay with SL.

Just an office and web user here....

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
I've not had any real problems. Some UI things I'm not sure I think are "better" but they're all configurable (i.e. reverse scrolling).

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
It's a nice change when all you hear is bugs and complaints.
Listen. I like a cute success story as much as the next guy but this still doesn't change the bugs that *are* there. Personally, I'd rather hear substantiated and fact-based complaints about these bugs so I can see for myself and decide if they affect me enough not to upgrade.

jinkikim

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
I upgraded four machines SL to Lion and I didn’t experience any problem (one minor issue on Parallels 6, but easy to fix).

Upgraded, no clean installation.

- Mid-2009 MBP 13”, 160GB Intel SSD, 4GB Memory
- 2010 MBP 13”, 500GB HDD, 8GB Memory
- Late-2009 iMAC 27”, 1TB HDD, 16GB Memory
- 2011 MBP 15”, 240GB Vertex SSD, 8GB Memory

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I've not had any real problems. Some UI things I'm not sure I think are "better" but they're all configurable (i.e. reverse scrolling).

I agree. There are several UI design elements of Lion that I'm not thrilled with, but both my Macs are running fast 'n' smooth.

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
I just don't understand how, some macs are fine and others aint :confused:

I've upgraded and done a clean install and still, its sluggish, slow boot times and intermitent crashes and wifi problems.

Somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong!?

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
Listen. I like a cute success story as much as the next guy but this still doesn't change the bugs that *are* there. Personally, I'd rather hear substantiated and fact-based complaints about these bugs so I can see for myself and decide if they affect me enough not to upgrade.

Agreed, it's good to get the known problems out in the open, but many are bitching and moaning constantly, it does get annoying. A lot of the people who upgraded read most of then problems people had with the GM and still upgraded, then wondered why they were having issues.:rolleyes:

handel30

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
Miami, Florida
The worst I can say is that the download took forever, but I don't have high speed internet here. Maybe it takes a nanosecond more to boot and it seems that my battery lasts slightly less between charges. Other than that, it's been quite a smooth and pleasurable transition.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I read all the complaints and got scared so I only installed Lion on my MBA... after a week of use, I wasn't scared anymore and installed it on my iMac today. It works just fine. My only complaint is how Full Screen mode in Safari and iTunes makes my 24" Cinema Display useless (but Full Screen mode in Chrome let's me continue using the second display).

edit: It's more noticeable on the MBA, but waking from sleep seems to be slightly slower with Lion.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
I have Lion installed on a Jump Drive and I'm not having any problems. Well I'm having one problem with Safari 5.1. When checking the spelling, if you click on 'IGNORE' it refreshes the page instead. It's the only bug for me so far. :/

Hugh

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010

I do realize that bugs are still there. It's a brand new release, developers aren't perfect. I wasn't insinuating that there are none, just that it was a nice change of pace.

dbalone

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
No problems here either. I have a 2008 iMac. Actually the more I use it the more I am impressed by it. Lion does use more RAM but it has been doing a great job managing it. Also very impressed with Log files turning over. Never seemed to be quite right in Snow Leopard.

nanosour

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
Loaded the GM on 4 machines. Paid for Lion on release day and have not had any problems with the OS.

Late 2009 27" iMac i7
2010 27" iMac 3.06GHZ
2008 White Macbook 2.0GHz C2D
2007 17" iMac 1.83GHz

Lion running great on all machines using a airport express as network router.

I have the two 27" iMac connected in target screen mode and it works fine. Don't need to use full-screen apps with all that real estate available, so it handles the 2nd monitor just like SL.

All computers are definitely snappier and other than the typical adjustment time to a new UI, I think an excellent upgrade.

Other notes...i did have to dump Quicken 2007 for SEE Finance and had to download an installer for Parallels 5 to run. Easy fixes.

Good luck to those having issues.

Nano

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
I just thought I'd throw this out there and would love to find out if I really am a incredibly fortunate case or if there is a silent majority that actually upgraded smoothly.

I'd say you are probably in the majority. As with everything, you will hear more about problems than people who are using Lion without issues(except for the differences in UI and a few bugs).

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Other than a few small, well-known bugs (that will get resolved),

so you have noticed some issues with Lion ;)

In seriousness though as mentioned above, people come to forums mostly when they have issues and want to find out how to resolve them

The majority of the people wont have issues (or dont notice the bugs), but people on a forum will mainly be having problems and wanting to find fixes

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I, too, have had minimal problems with Lion. The most severe being I can't access my stupid NAS over AFP. But in order to upgrade my NAS at all (A SnapServer 210) I would have to pay for a service plan, which I think is a bit extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.