PDA

View Full Version : Anyone installed Office 2011 on Lion?

Internaut
Aug 2, 2011, 12:32 PM
If you have, this is your chance to say "DON'T DO THAT," if you've had any major issues. I'm aware of some issues from Microsoft but I'm working from home for a few days, and hoping I don't need to remove the "Dell from hell" from its bag. I only really need Word working for now and thought I'd download the 30 day trial......

soulreaver99
Aug 2, 2011, 12:36 PM
I have it installed on Lion. Works fine

kbmb
Aug 2, 2011, 12:37 PM
If you have, this is your chance to say "DON'T DO THAT," if you've had any major issues. I'm aware of some issues from Microsoft but I'm working from home for a few days, and hoping I don't need to remove the "Dell from hell" from its bag. I only really need Word working for now and thought I'd download the 30 day trial......

Been running Office 2011 on Lion just fine. Other than the noted Microsoft issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2586538

Things are running fine for me.

-Kevin

Internaut
Aug 2, 2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks very for the quick responses.

iKennett
Aug 2, 2011, 12:43 PM
No issues i've noticed; just don't forget to move the user data folder to avoid having an odd folder.

PhoneI
Aug 2, 2011, 12:55 PM
No problems at all with office 2011 and Lion for me either.

smj996c
Aug 2, 2011, 01:03 PM
it works a treat I upgraded from office 2008 and 2011 works a lot better, full screen option in word only for the time being until MS issue an update which is due imminently IIRC

abnospam
Aug 2, 2011, 01:33 PM
No issues i've noticed; just don't forget to move the user data folder to avoid having an odd folder.

can you elaborate? I migrated 2011 with Migration Assistant to my new AIR, but then had to reinstall on top. What is this folder?

Steve's Barber
Aug 2, 2011, 01:41 PM
can you elaborate? I migrated 2011 with Migration Assistant to my new AIR, but then had to reinstall on top. What is this folder?It's just some silly-assed "Microsoft User Data" folder that shows up in your Home directory. It's harmless and can be left there.

Some OSX users are a bit anal and just don't like crap put in their home folders.

zepman
Aug 2, 2011, 02:03 PM
You can move the folder to ~/Library/Preferences if you want to get rid of it.

iHateMacs
Aug 2, 2011, 02:08 PM
I never installed it in Lion but it was installed in SL and came along for the ride. All seems to be working.

Lord Appleseed
Aug 2, 2011, 02:14 PM
Having it installed, no problems.

Doesn't work for MSN Mac though, it will always recreate that stupid folder.

Internaut
Aug 2, 2011, 02:58 PM
Yup, I have it working myself now. On my MacBook, Word is usable as long as I set the dock to automatically hide itself for a little extra real-estate (not something I normally find I need to do). Hopefully, MS will update for Lion's new features (Versions, full screen and so on) - that will make it worth buying to me (well, I'm going to have to buy it anyway).

MartiNZ
Aug 2, 2011, 04:06 PM
Having it installed, no problems.

Doesn't work for MSN Mac though, it will always recreate that stupid folder.

Yeah remote desktop is persistent with ~/Documents too. I've taken the now better known approach of hiding it, just like showing ~/Library.

Zero problems with Office on Lion here. Well only self-inflicted ones anyway, going a bit too far seeing what I could remove given I don't use Outlook. Removed Database Utility and now I get complaints about the identity - lol. To think if they just packaged the Office folder, I would probably never go digging!

sweetbrat
Aug 2, 2011, 04:13 PM
I've used Word and Excel without problems. I have all of Office 2011 installed, but those are the only parts I've used so far.

Phil A.
Aug 2, 2011, 04:15 PM
Office 2011 was installed on SL before I upgraded and it's continued to work fine after the upgrade. The only minor issue I've noticed is that remote desktop connection is a bit less stable than before. It wasn't particularly stable before (I often had to force-quit to get it to close, and it would occasionally bomb out), but it has been noticeably worse since I moved to Lion.

knarzie
Aug 2, 2011, 04:26 PM
working fine. had it running on Leopard and then Snow Leopard before upgrading to Lion, all without issues.

Sensamic
Aug 2, 2011, 04:50 PM
Im having doubts about when to upgrade to Lion because of the Office 2011 compatibility. I really really need Word. No need for excel, outlook and powerpoint. I want to install Lion now but Im not sure if Word will be stable enough.

Do you guys experiment crashes on Word or have errors of any type?

I just need Word 2011.

Phil A.
Aug 2, 2011, 04:51 PM
I've been running Word on Lion since the GM release and it hasn't crashed once on me, nor have I had any issues at all. In fact, it works better on Lion than it did on SL - on SL Word would occasionally fail to close down properly and I had to force-quit it. On Lion, it's performed flawlessly

Eradik
Aug 2, 2011, 05:05 PM
Runs great on my system, I highly recommend it if you need office productivity.

basher
Aug 2, 2011, 05:48 PM
I use Word and Excel under Lion and they've been rock solid.

KPOM
Aug 2, 2011, 05:53 PM
Yes, and it's been fine for me, too. Read the Microsoft Office 2011 blog:

http://blog.officeformac.com/

The short story: they are fixing some relatively minor annoyances, and have a longer-term project to fully integrate Office 2011 with Lion's new features (versioning, full screen, etc.), but go ahead and use it. The most serious bug (Communicator crashing) has already been fixed.

BiggAW
Aug 2, 2011, 06:11 PM
Works fine for me. It was on there when I upgraded to Lion. Didn't think much of it. Full screen and versioning are dumb anyways, so no loss there.

Sensamic
Aug 2, 2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Im currently testing Word 2011 on Lion (I have it installed on a different partition). I don't see any problems but I have to keep testing it heavily.

3bs
Aug 2, 2011, 06:37 PM
I haven't used it much yet but seems to be working fine from the few times that I have

abnospam
Aug 2, 2011, 11:08 PM

Any trick to it or I just literally drag & drop? Is there some pointer I have to update?