PDA

View Full Version : basic questions about lion license sale resale download etc.

philipma1957
Aug 2, 2011, 01:28 PM
okay I buy lion and install on my 2010 mac pro.
decide to sell the mac pro. what do i have to do with the lion install?

I have 3 machines in my home.

I buy lion and install on my iMac or mac pro or mac mini.

does one purchase get installed to all three.

do I buy a family pack.

if I go to sell one do I have to sell machine with no osx?

must I downgrade it to snow?

I am looking at app store for rules? can't find much. any links would help

diamond.g
Aug 2, 2011, 01:41 PM
okay I buy lion and install on my 2010 mac pro.
decide to sell the mac pro. what do i have to do with the lion install?

I have 3 machines in my home.

I buy lion and install on my iMac or mac pro or mac mini.

does one purchase get installed to all three.

do I buy a family pack.

if I go to sell one do I have to sell machine with no osx?

must I downgrade it to snow?

I am looking at app store for rules? can't find much. any links would help

Unless the computer comes with lion, you will have to downgrade to SL as the license is tied to your Apple ID. When reinstalling from the recovery partition it does in fact ask for an Apple ID before downloading the rest of Lion.

Quad5Ny
Aug 2, 2011, 03:51 PM
One purchase covers all the computers you own.

If you want to resell the computer; download Lion, Burn the installer DMG, Erase your drive and then reinstall.

Or you can wait for the $69 thumb drive to do a Clean install prior to selling.

knarzie
Aug 2, 2011, 04:31 PM
possibly a stupid question, but what is to stop anyone from using a mac that is not your own (a stingy friend), logging into the mac appstore with your mac account and downloading it to said machine?

Quad5Ny
Aug 2, 2011, 05:01 PM
possibly a stupid question, but what is to stop anyone from using a mac that is not your own (a stingy friend), logging into the mac appstore with your mac account and downloading it to said machine?

Nothing (except your password). AFAIK Apple has never really enforced it's OS licenses.

Why do you think there is such a large Hackintosh community even though installing OS X on a non-Apple machine violates the license agreement.

htpw16
Nov 5, 2011, 05:51 PM
One purchase covers all the computers you own.

If you want to resell the computer; download Lion, Burn the installer DMG, Erase your drive and then reinstall.

Or you can wait for the $69 thumb drive to do a Clean install prior to selling.

Sorry to bring this old thread up but I had a question about this. I am planning on reselling my Macbook Pro (2011 pre Lion) and I am planning to erase and reinstall my current OSX Lion installation using the recovery option.

My question is, what's the difference between downloading/ burning the installer dmg and simply going through the recovery feature, erasing your disk, and reinstalling Lion from there? The download verification process is still tied to your Apple ID in both ways isn't it?

My other concern is when reinstalling Lion through the recovery feature it asks for your Apple ID...is it safe to do so since I am reselling the laptop? After it installs Lion it restarts and you get your usual system setup screen, language etc.....

Thanks for your help guys.